Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Mazda 6 sedan, its got the bose upgrade package... basically I installed the metra kit and put in an indash dvd player/screen deck... audiovox... was 599.99 CAN at bestbuy last month. Anyways, I went to best buy and asked about speakers, they said 5x7 or 6x8 will fit perfectly... so i purchased 4 Blitz Audio Speakers each 6x8. 180 Watt RMS and 360 WATT MAX PEAK... I get them and take off my door panel... and find that Bose converted it to 6.5 inch components... and 5 1/4 inch rear speakers... I finally ordered the correct speakers... but now I realize I can use the 6x8 in the rear.. just have to take off the adapter there.. ANYWAYS!!! I got a 1,000 WATT 4 channel Blitz Audio amp, Monster RCA cables (4 channel) (cost me 22 bucks for 5 meters!!! CHEAP!!! got it at www.princessauto.com I bought it at the physical store though located in missisauga Ontario... Canada. Anyways to the point... I have the rca cables installed to the deck and amp... power running to the amp using a Monster kit 4 gauge.... Im about to install my speakers at the front and realize... where am I going to put these crossovers?????!!##$$ Any suggestions where to put them? Dont want them in the way of anything... I figured only one place and thats behind the speaker... lots of space there... can prolly super glue it to the door metal behind the speaker... not directly behind it ofcourse...

Anyone have a suggestion? Thanks!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
First of all your first problem is that you went to Best Buy!!! Horrible place for audio and service, but oh well. I would place them right behind the bottle holder pocket on the lower portion of the door panel. Seems like a great place and a place that has been used on many occasions. I've also used the spot right above the holder between the pocket and the window switches. It all really depends on the size and shape of your cross overs. I've seen them in so many different configurations. If you have a pic, I could be of more help. But those are my suggestions.

P.S.
I personally don't like the idea of behind the speakers because then your crossover is essentially exposed to the elements. I have seen may crossovers go bad due to water damage from being on the wrong side of the door panlel seal (the large piece of plastic bolted to the metal door that is seen after the door panel is removed).

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, I dont think its gunna fit though, I pretty much tried all the places, and there is alot of fabric insulation inside the doorpanel, will this catch on fire if my crossover overheats? Here is a link to the component set im using...

http://www.blitzaudio.com/itemdetail.asp?model=BZC6K

I bought crazy glue that says its best for metals and plastics and fabrics... so should I use that to stick it on, or am I gunna have to drill holes and bolt them down? Didnt come with anything to mount the crossovers. Thanks bro.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I wouldn't recommend superglue. You might want to take the crossovers out at some point. Use silicone adhesive that can be cut to remove the crossovers if needed. Plus the sliicone has a bit of give, to cushion the crossover and prevent rattles.

For location I would still put the crossover inside the door. Protect it from water by wrapping it in plastic and sealing that together with a bit of the silicone, and don't put it in the very bottom of the door, where water would tend to collect. The crossover may get slightly warm if a LOT of power is put through it (100s of Watts RMS, ie. continuously), but that shouldn't happen with door speakers so ventilation isn't an issue. Speakers would probably blow first.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yeah wow, those crossovers are huge. umm, You could put them behind the panel and seal them as junglemage said, and like he said also you won't have to worry about overheating. That is really rare with crossovers so the fabric won't be an issue. I still say that in front of that panel is best to eliminate any problems but if you just don't have the room not too much you can do.

·
Registered
383 Posts
On almost every car I've ever installed them on, I've put them in the glovebox.
Basically, remove the entire glove box, drill holes in the top (or bottom, up to you) for the speaker wires, and then bolt the crossover in the back with the contacts facing up (or down).

They're outta the way, you don't see them unless you're looking, and they're protected from just about everything (unless you love throwing things into your glove box at 95 mph).

It might take a little longer, and might be a bit of a pain in the ass, but the install will be cleaner.

The one exception to this was a buddy's car where he had a screen molded into the glove box, and we ended up putting them 'inside' the center console, kinda behind it. The only way i can think of to explain it, is look at your pedals, and look to the right. The console cuts off short with enough room to stick your hand in. Not sure if this would work on the 6, as I havn't checked.

Atenza28 is right. We once mounted the crossovers 'inside' the door. The inside had a block of styrofoam (My old car, 00' Pontiac Grand Am) and we thought it would be a great idea to cut out a little slot for the crossover while we were in there changing the woofers. Fit great.......but on particularly wet days, the speakers would start cutting out, and eventually stop althogether. Never actually fried the crossovers, but they'd stop working for a while until they dried out (assumingly). I eventually took them out and stuck them in the glovebox when I had more time to dedicate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts