Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I'm wondering where everyone's favorite spot for interior accessory power is. A lot of people are saying they're just using the wire from the cig lighter, and that's fine, but I'd really like to just tap off of something near the fusebox if possible.

Where's the best place to get power over there? I tried a few random wires on Baggio's car yesterday and none of them were always-on with the ignition.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I source my power from the ignition harness just under the steering wheel column. Good thing is it has all kind of power from there, such as permanent 12V, with accessary, with light switch, etc.,

·
Registered
875 Posts
I source my power from the ignition harness just under the steering wheel column. Good thing is it has all kind of power from there, such as permanent 12V, with accessary, with light switch, etc.,
[/b]
Can anyone post a pic of the wire they tapped into for power?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can anyone post a pic of the wire they tapped into for power?
[/b]
+1. Are you guys using wire taps or cutting and splicing in? I've always just cut the wires, stripped both ends, twist 'em all together and taped it up afterward.

I'm not too keen on cutting my ignition harness wires without a decent guide, though.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
This is one pic for the wires under the steering wheel column:

The wires I have found to have the power sources for my purpose are:

BLUE = IGNITION

RED/BLACK = CONSTANT 12V

I only need these wires for my boost gauge so didn't get the colour wire for accessorry power but I am sure one of the wire there is, just need to get the multimeter to measure across the terminal to find out.

The way I connect the wire is triming the outter rubber down until the bare wire exposed, then wrap the external wire onto it then solder together. Then re-seal with tape. Don't forget using the thickest gague of wire you can get your hand on, so in future you can use this power for other purpose if you need it.

·
Registered
399 Posts
QUOTE(MzSpeed)
Did you installed the fuse taps yet??

Because I ordered the standard fuses/mini fuses and I can't seem to install neither.

The standard ones are too big for the fuses inside the car and I don't know how to install the mini ones...

I know that I am such a newb but could you please explain me how to install the mini ones or if possible send me a pic of the fuse tap installed.

Thanx
[/b]
I haven't installed them yet, I just ordered them this week so haven't received any. I don't believe I'll be using them until I install a boost gauge which I have yet to purchase. I actually ordered the "deluxe" versions.

Also, for future reference re-adding the link originally posted by XPLORx4 as an additional option...

QUOTE(XPLORx4 @ Sep 12 2006, 06:16 PM) [snapback]788009[/snapback]
1) Use wire tap connectors such as those shown on http://www.tessco.com/products/displayProd...p;subgroupId=24

·
Registered
358 Posts
The wires I have found to have the power sources for my purpose are:
BLUE = IGNITION
RED/BLACK = CONSTANT 12V
I only need these wires for my boost gauge
[/b]
Which color wire did you use for your boost guage??
Sorry for this stupid question... the boost guage has a light, so if it is tapped into the red/black wire does this mean the light will be on all the time and off when the car is off??

·
Registered
679 Posts
Map light & moonroof did the trick for me.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Which color wire did you use for your boost guage??
Sorry for this stupid question... the boost guage has a light, so if it is tapped into the red/black wire does this mean the light will be on all the time and off when the car is off??
[/b]
Oh, sorry I left that out. The light source I got it from the cigarette lighter ( the one that connect to the lighting surrounding, not the actual lighter power source ) as it is a lower current purpose.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Money shot. Thank you.

Somehow that pic gives me an idea. I've always been a bit annoyed at the fact that my fog lights only come on with my low beams. I jumped a power wire on my Mustang back in the day that got around that and allowed me to run the fogs independently of the headlights; I'm very tempted to do some probing to see if the same isn't possible for our cars.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts