Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do you guys buy your supplies for stuff like an oil change?

Filters, filter wrench, air filters, cabin air filters? Is there a place online that is cheaper than from the dealership. Prefer to find OEM parts if possible.

For a 2017 Mazda6.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
For all that stuff I usually just buy at the local auto parts store. We have a couple places out my way that private label Wix brand filters. That's my preferred choice when I'm buying stuff. When I'm doing bigger projects, I use rock auto.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Parts stores are your best option for something closest to your dealership. Look around at different stores and compare prices though, you can often find identical items cheaper at different stores.

·
Registered
674 Posts
You can also get Mazda OE maintenance parts on Amazon. Stuff like oil/air filters, etc. I don’t know if their prices are the cheapest or not, but you can get oil filters in packs of five and ten. Honestly, for a ten dollar oil filter, I’m not all that worried about it.

I also use good quality A/M filters like NAPA and Wix. Jug Mobil1/Penzoil/etc. 0w-20 synthetic oil from Walmart is the cheapest oil.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Try MedCenterMazda (https://www.mazdaparts.org/20ma6mapa1.html).
But, you might be able to get a reasonable deal on filters from your dealer. Mine were $6 including the drain plug washer. Hard to find a WIX filter at that price.
My problem is that no nearby dealer stocks the Mazda Moly 0W-20 oil any longer. They are also using bulk oil, either Shell or Castrol.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Where do you guys buy your supplies for stuff like an oil change?

Filters, filter wrench, air filters, cabin air filters? Is there a place online that is cheaper than from the dealership. Prefer to find OEM parts if possible.

For a 2017 Mazda6.
For oil filters I go with OEM from the local dealer for about $8 + tax. I get the 5 quart jug from Wal-mart as they're usually the cheapest around $23-$27 depending on brand. Do a little research here, a couple of members have had their oil analyzed and made some recommendations. I've been using Pennzoil 0W20 synthetic lately. I also just started using a Fumoto oil drain valve: IT IS LIFE-CHANGING :surprise: Never have I had such an easy and clean way to change oil on any car. It's a bit pricey around $25 iirc, but for the ease of use and cleanliness, it is worth it.

Filter wrench I'll source from any local auto parts store, Wal-mart, etc.

Air filter and cabin air filter I usually source from Rock Auto - Wix seems to be pretty reputable.

For new OEM parts www.mazdaswag.com seems to be about the least expensive, but I'm sure there are others just as good.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies! will check those sources out.

I found this cabin air filter on ebay: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/172273065206?ul_noapp=true. It says it Fits for Mazda 3 6 CX-5 Cabin Air Filter Replacement KD45-61-J6X which is the same part number for the 2017 Mazda6 yet when I messaged the seller they said it is not compatible? Is it maybe because they just use that compatibility tool and it's probably not updated?

·
Super Moderator
16,808 Posts
I'm shocked no one has mentioned any of the following - these are the only places I go if I can't get them at a local parts store like CAP or NAPA.

http://www.rockauto.com/
https://www.jimellismazdaparts.com/

And for those Mazda-specific tiny misc things that you can't even find on JimEllis, contact someone at MAZMART

·
Super Moderator
16,808 Posts
Does RockAuto ever have free shipping?
They send out newsletters from time to time that have codes for it, but honestly I've found that 99% of the time their prices are still way cheaper than a local parts store (for the same item).

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've had good luck with MedCenter Mazda as well (and with Jim Ellis and also RockAuto for that matter). I kinda like MedCenter as they occasionally put together a nice bundled package including the 0W-20 moly oil and some oil filters with a discounted price and free shipping. You really have to watch their website though. I have the same complaint as the other user had on RockAuto, love their site but their shipping can be outrageous at times, killing any savings to be had (unless you watch for their specials also).

·
Registered
674 Posts
I don’t think Rock Auto sells OEM Mazda parts. That’s what the OP asked about, IIRC.

But ya, RA is good, too.

·
Banned
886 Posts
my mechanic charges $15 for the oil change, which is nothing, I bring my filter and oil. It would nice to do the oil change myself but I don't have the place or the tools to do this, let alone, the balls to get under the car with jack stands. I know many are very secure, but all it takes is one wrong move, is game over.

I just buy parts from walmart when they have sales

buying the filter from the dealer is actually cheaper than all these third sellers on ebay, amazon, etc

I have a question, is it necessary to use the oem cabin oil filter or can I get away with using an aftermarket one? Is the oem any better than the aftermarket ones or just the name?

·
Banned
886 Posts
Walmart is one of the cheapest places to buy anything auto related, this includes car detailing products. You can buy online and pick it up at the store. Rockauto compares their prices with advanced auto parts, autozone, oreilly, etc but notice how they don't include walmart there lol

I use the wheel and tire cleaner Eagle one A2Z. It works almost good as Meguiar Hot Rims cleaner.

I've tried pretty much every wheel and tire cleaner out there and Meguiar Hot Rims is the best, but is more expensive and you can't unlock the bottle. Eagle one comes in second place and you can open it to add water.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm located in Canada and with the local BCMazda3 member discount, my local dealer sells oil filters for $8.49 and oil drain plug washer for $1.22 CDN.

I think that's probably the best deal for me. I looked at the other options that sell the OEM filter for like $6USD but with shipping to a parcel pick up location near the border and exchange rate, it would be around the same price.
They're also offering the OEM window visors for $242.25CDN which is better than anywhere I can find.

For removing the oil filter from the car, do you need a special tool or could you twist it off by hand? My last car, a 2007 Mazda3 had to have a unique wrench cap.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
my mechanic charges $15 for the oil change, which is nothing, I bring my filter and oil. It would nice to do the oil change myself but I don't have the place or the tools to do this, let alone, the balls to get under the car with jack stands. I know many are very secure, but all it takes is one wrong move, is game over.

I just buy parts from walmart when they have sales

buying the filter from the dealer is actually cheaper than all these third sellers on ebay, amazon, etc

I have a question, is it necessary to use the oem cabin oil filter or can I get away with using an aftermarket one? Is the oem any better than the aftermarket ones or just the name?
I think u can just use ebay ones. That's what I'm planning on getting. I found this one which seems to be the cheapest out there:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2pcs-Replacement-Cabin-Air-Filter-for-Mazda-CX-5-Mazda-3-Mazda-6-OE-KD45-61-J6X/232158329282?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

My local Napa store wants $40.77 for the cabin air filter (Napa Premium) or $19.77 for the Napa Economy. No thanks, i'll just buy off ebay.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts