Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a place to buy spray can body paint at a reasonable price? I'll pay the high price I see if I have to but I thought someone here might have a suggestion on where to buy matching body paint at a more reasonable price. Same for clearcoat but I think that's not expensive. Will any automotive clearcoat paint work?

A couple of paint questions too . . .

1. I'll be painting the tow hook hole covers when they arrive (they're ordered and on their way). Do I need to sand them with maybe 1000 grit sandpaper to roughen the surface, then prime, then paint, then clearcoat?

2. I have a few body scratches--nothing major. What's the best approach to removing light rust and preparing the surface, then using canned spray paint, to blend in the color as best I can, then clearcoat over that? For the answer to this question, I think a web site or video that you have found to be useful and informative woudl work for me, but if you have the time, a written explanation would be appreciated also. Either will work. There are plenty of YouTube videos where the person doesn't know what they are talking about and they (probably) unintentionally mislead people about a subject or how-to. I know this from areas where I have some expertise when watching some videos. I don't want to try to follow just any video or how-to written guide and want good and reliable information.

Thanks!

Donald

·
Rally Racer
2,270 Posts
Is there a place to buy spray can body paint at a reasonable price? I'll pay the high price I see if I have to but I thought someone here might have a suggestion on where to buy matching body paint at a more reasonable price. Same for clearcoat but I think that's not expensive. Will any automotive clearcoat paint work?

A couple of paint questions too . . .

1. I'll be painting the tow hook hole covers when they arrive (they're ordered and on their way). Do I need to sand them with maybe 1000 grit sandpaper to roughen the surface, then prime, then paint, then clearcoat?

2. I have a few body scratches--nothing major. What's the best approach to removing light rust and preparing the surface, then using canned spray paint, to blend in the color as best I can, then clearcoat over that? For the answer to this question, I think a web site or video that you have found to be useful and informative woudl work for me, but if you have the time, a written explanation would be appreciated also. Either will work. There are plenty of YouTube videos where the person doesn't know what they are talking about and they (probably) unintentionally mislead people about a subject or how-to. I know this from areas where I have some expertise when watching some videos. I don't want to try to follow just any video or how-to written guide and want good and reliable information.

Thanks!

Donald
I have had pretty good luck with automotivetouchup.com.
Buy a little more than you will need because they mix to order so if you do different orders there could be slight variation from batch to batch.

If they are uncoated plastic you will need a plastic primer before anything. If they have a base coat then usually cleaning with a residue free solvent prior to painting is recommended. I use a tack cloth between coats for larger areas and always finish up with clear. Once it is set dry then a little rubbing and polishing compound will bring it out nicely. Don't wax for a month or so.

The best method is to study and prepare before you embark on a job like that. I will frequently rehearse jobs for days and practice (with things like painting) on non crucial items before doing the real deal.

Lots of great videos on this subject.

Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts