Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the Morimoto 2 Stroke LEDs for my low beams (video on it next friday) and now I'm on an LED high apparently so I'm looking into LED bulbs for the reverse lights. Anyone have these or know which are good to buy?

·
Registered
791 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,781 Posts

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Whatever you do, don't buy cheap. Diode Dynamics is good stuff and worth the premium. Cheap stuff will just fail and fill you with angst.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been running the DiodeDynamics ones for about 4 years now because they sent me some asking to do a review of them - have to say that they've lasted perfectly this entire time and are bright as anything. If the price doesn't scare you aware, you'd really like them. You can see my review here: https://www.mazda6club.com/threads/review-diode-dynamics-7440-hp11-led-for-reverse-bulbs.367922/

Those look really good! It does look a bit strange in the housing because it's so big, but I believe it is still a great option!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do believe your car uses a 7440 bulb for the reverse lights; you can also use a 7443 in there. Can get those at Wally's Mart
Definitely will look into it!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
791 Posts
Whatever you do, don't buy cheap. Diode Dynamics is good stuff and worth the premium. Cheap stuff will just fail and fill you with angst.

Are you freaking kidding me? No way will i ever pay that much for a chinese bulb imported to the US. Ill pay $7 for bulbs that last 10 years though.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Are you freaking kidding me? No way will i ever pay that much for a chinese bulb imported to the US. Ill pay $7 for bulbs that last 10 years though.
According to a DD representative a spoke with at SEMA a couple years ago, all their products are made here.

·
Registered
791 Posts
According to a DD representative a spoke with at SEMA a couple years ago, all their products are made here.

Even if that's true (not calling you a liar), that's way too much. I put T10 5050smd bulbs in my 6 back in 2010 when i got it for about $1/bulb and swapped them to my 3 until i got newer metal housing ones cause i could find the others so the license plate ones would match lol. I only changed them cause I'm moving to a cul-de-sac that doesn't have a street light.

·
Super Moderator
16,781 Posts
Cheap bulbs are exactly that, cheap.

Some people run DDMTuning HIDs that last years and years, others have them die in a month. Some people get plate lights for $0.50 and they last a year or two, some last a day. It's a total crapshoot when you don't pay for quality.

That's why DD and Morimoto are almost always worth the money (if you have it).

·
Registered
487 Posts

Some people run DDMTuning HIDs that last years and years, others have them die in a month. Some people get plate lights for $0.50 and they last a year or two, some last a day. It's a total crapshoot when you don't pay for quality.

100%!!! It all depends on the LEDs used and how well it's put together. That's why I like making my own lights. I know 100% of the components used and I know that it will last. With cheap LEDs the legs are weak, the plastic is cheap and the dies used could fry at any time. I know because I've tested many single LEDs and some take abuse very well (think Cree p4 and Philips HP Agilent) while others will/can fail (generic superflux) within mins if they can even handle the high heat from the soldering iron.

With plug n play bulbs it's best to get from a reputable source such as as DD, Morimoto, or even Flyryde. Yes, a cheap bulb may last years but it could last weeks/months but a good bulb with known components could last the life of the car and then some. It comes down to how hard it is for some people to change the bulbs and how often they are willing to do it.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I fully agree, spending more on dependability is worth more to me at least than cheaping out. Also, usually the higher priced LEDs/HIDs look better than the cheap ones.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I fully agree, spending more on dependability is worth more to me at least than cheaping out. Also, usually the higher priced LEDs/HIDs look better than the cheap ones.
A down the middle good reverse bulb can be found at FlyRyde. The owner Chris is an awesome guy and he doesn't sell junk. He is a 1 man show and he doesn't like having to do things twice. The bulbs there will run about $40 per set. If you are wanting other things such as brake flashers or switchback bulbs (white drl, amber turn) check out his site.

I'm actually taking his "5 months to 5 figures" lighting course that I was able to get in on for free because I signed up during the 1st month that the course was launched. For someone to teach others how to do custom automotive lighting and to offer it for free (was limited time) is really kick ass in my book.

·
Super Moderator
16,781 Posts
A down the middle good reverse bulb can be found at FlyRyde. The owner Chris is an awesome guy and he doesn't sell junk. He is a 1 man show and he doesn't like having to do things twice. The bulbs there will run about $40 per set. If you are wanting other things such as brake flashers or switchback bulbs (white drl, amber turn) check out his site.
To each their own, but brake flashers make me angry. :)

·
Registered
791 Posts
100%!!! It all depends on the LEDs used and how well it's put together. That's why I like making my own lights. I know 100% of the components used and I know that it will last. With cheap LEDs the legs are weak, the plastic is cheap and the dies used could fry at any time. I know because I've tested many single LEDs and some take abuse very well (think Cree p4 and Philips HP Agilent) while others will/can fail (generic superflux) within mins if they can even handle the high heat from the soldering iron.

With plug n play bulbs it's best to get from a reputable source such as as DD, Morimoto, or even Flyryde. Yes, a cheap bulb may last years but it could last weeks/months but a good bulb with known components could last the life of the car and then some. It comes down to how hard it is for some people to change the bulbs and how often they are willing to do it.
Trust me, i get it, but if a $1 bulb last only a year and a $20 bulb lasts 5... the math doesnt add up. It would be a highly different story if the supply points were extremely limited, or you lived in an area that doesnt get mail or packages every day and needed that reliability. But everyday suburbia, not so much.

·
Registered
487 Posts
To each their own, but brake flashers make me angry. :)
Lmao, yeah. Some of the cheap flasher units that are preset flash too slow and get annoying. There are some other ones that can be adjusted on how fast and how many times is flashes before it goes to solid state. These tend to look a little better but still an acquired taste lol

·
Super Moderator
16,781 Posts
Trust me, i get it, but if a $1 bulb last only a year and a $20 bulb lasts 5... the math doesnt add up. It would be a highly different story if the supply points were extremely limited, or you lived in an area that doesnt get mail or packages every day and needed that reliability. But everyday suburbia, not so much.
You forget the added risk of that $1 might die in a day and the next 10 might as well (I've seen an entire batch of 30 die after a few hours), then who made the better decision?

I typically air on the side of "don't get cheap China LEDs" and I've never had issues. That's why i like going to Autolumination - crappy/shady website, but I've not once had an issue with their bulbs outside of my plate housings getting rain in them on my 1st gen xD

I've also never heard bad things about SuperBrightLEDs but never tried them myself.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts