Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure exactly whats wrong but I think its the brakes (100,000 on original) .... Got a couple of questions for you guys:

- Where to buy them from ? I was thinking Hawk pads + Rotora rotors from RPM ...
- or Do I get them from the dealer ?
- Can I change only the front rotors + pads ?

I am dropping the car off at the dealer sometime this week so hopefully I'll have a better idea of whats wrong and how much they want for the brakes ...

Any help will be appreciated

sunny.

·
Registered
771 Posts
ya i need my brakes done as well..... im pushing towards an aftermarket slotted Rotor from RPM....but styll if you can update me with the dealer prices without labour, i can install these myself...

·
Registered
412 Posts
I got quoted $390 from Kieswetter Mazda in kitchener... it was something like $90 labour from what I can recall... i passed on it and bought some aftermarket rotors and pads.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hrmmm...that's interesting Squire...

My Kieswetter quote, parts (OEM), labour and taxes:
Fronts: $431.52
Rears: $372.60
TOTAL: $804.12

Labour if I bring my own parts:
Fronts: $133
Rears: $133

Was that quote for just the rear brakes?

Sunny - I'm in the same boat. At 102,000 kms my brakes feel kinda thin, and the dealer keeps warning me about them.

The plan was Hawk pads, Carbotech rotors from RPM and "investigate" how hard it will be to pull the rotors off myself.

The factory uses two bolts to hold the rotor on to the spindle, and they are notoriously difficult to get off (some have better luck than others).

Paul (Mazda6MTX) had a HELL of a time, and ended up towing the car to a shop to use a torch. Others have used an impact gun to get the bolt out. Some have managed it with some penetrating oil and patience.

I'm going to have a look at them when I swap to my snow tires this weekend...my problem is that I only own one car, and if I get in a jam (i.e. strip the bolt) I can't get to work!

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Doing the work is easy, there really isn't much to doing changing the pads and rotors. The real problem lies in the process. Let's say you get started and you are stuck because the rotors refuse to come off, which is pretty common. Now you are stuck with a car with no brakes and you can't take it anywhere. I leave the choice up to you.

I will come by and help out or you can work on the car at my house if you want some assistance. If there are no problems you can have the brakes fully finished in about 3 hours if you take your sweet time.

I would also recommend that you bleed your brakes or change your fluid at the same time.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The last time my dealer quoted me an insane price like $700 just for the fronts ... I was like "fuck that" .... my plan is to buy my own rotors/pads/fluid and just pay them labour ....

I just cant decide what pads to go for, Rotora H2 pads or HPS pads ??

btw Is there anything bad with changing brakes in the winters ???

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hrmmm...that's interesting Squire...

My Kieswetter quote, parts (OEM), labour and taxes:
Fronts: $431.52
Rears: $372.60
TOTAL: $804.12

Labour if I bring my own parts:
Fronts: $133
Rears: $133

Was that quote for just the rear brakes?

Sunny - I'm in the same boat. At 102,000 kms my brakes feel kinda thin, and the dealer keeps warning me about them.

The plan was Hawk pads, Carbotech rotors from RPM and "investigate" how hard it will be to pull the rotors off myself.

The factory uses two bolts to hold the rotor on to the spindle, and they are notoriously difficult to get off (some have better luck than others).

Paul (Mazda6MTX) had a HELL of a time, and ended up towing the car to a shop to use a torch. Others have used an impact gun to get the bolt out. Some have managed it with some penetrating oil and patience.

I'm going to have a look at them when I swap to my snow tires this weekend...my problem is that I only own one car, and if I get in a jam (i.e. strip the bolt) I can't get to work!
[/b]

The quote was just for fronts. not sure if it included tax as well. I was doing the 48000k service at the time so maybe i was quoted cheaper on labour cuz the car was already in the bay or something..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts