Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not long ago, when it stopped I don’t know, a spirited run through the gears would result in a little driveline lash; I especially noticed it when quickly depressing the clutch petal. Under acceleration, high RPMs, I would quickly push in the clutch petal and then BANG… but now there is nothing like that. Have I somehow, subconsciously, altered my driving habits to not stress the mounts or has something changed with break-in? Has anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Not long ago, when it stopped I don’t know, a spirited run through the gears would result in a little driveline lash; I especially noticed it when quickly depressing the clutch petal. Under acceleration, high RPMs, I would quickly push in the clutch petal and then BANG… but now there is nothing like that. Have I somehow, subconsciously, altered my driving habits to not stress the mounts or has something changed with break-in? Has anyone else noticed this?[/b]
Same. I guess its just that I know how far i have to kick it in order to get it to work and theres no need to kick it back to the mat.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s strange; the only reason I noticed that the lash was gone is because I was considering the SU motor mount GB. So now I wonder… is the lash gone because the stock mount is so worn/relaxed that the engine travel is dampened elsewhere, or has my shift timing changed with experience driving the car?

·
Registered
829 Posts
It’s strange; the only reason I noticed that the lash was gone is because I was considering the SU motor mount GB. So now I wonder… is the lash gone because the stock mount is so worn/relaxed that the engine travel is dampened elsewhere, or has my shift timing changed with experience driving the car?[/b]
I am going to guess that you got the "feel" of the car and got used to it and know how to drive it more smoothly now (even when it's spirited). <shrug>

·
Registered
232 Posts
Not long ago, when it stopped I don’t know, a spirited run through the gears would result in a little driveline lash; I especially noticed it when quickly depressing the clutch petal. Under acceleration, high RPMs, I would quickly push in the clutch petal and then BANG… but now there is nothing like that. Have I somehow, subconsciously, altered my driving habits to not stress the mounts or has something changed with break-in? Has anyone else noticed this?[/b]
I've kinda noticed the same thing. I haven't experienced the "thunk" in a long time. Not sure if it's me getting used to the car or the car being broken in.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yep I noticed the same thing, a subconscious adjusting of the nut between the seat and the clutch.

·
Registered
998 Posts
yep me too, that once terriblr clutch is now the best clutch of any car I've owned. I haven't had the shift jerk in a while. I love it.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I test drove a Red speed6 sport w/ 10k miles on it while my Maxima was in for servicing. I commented to the sales guy what a funky clutch it was, and that it would take some getting used too. I assume that this is the clutch feel everbody mentions, it really felt like no other clutch I had driven.

When I bought my 200mile GT the clutch felt completely different than the previous car, it felt like a regular clutch.

I can't explain the difference. Build date on my GT 06/06.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I test drove a Red speed6 sport w/ 10k miles on it while my Maxima was in for servicing. I commented to the sales guy what a funky clutch it was, and that it would take some getting used too. I assume that this is the clutch feel everbody mentions, it really felt like no other clutch I had driven.[/b]
Sounds like same experience I had. I've been driving MTXs (about 50 diff cars) for 30yrs and the Speed6 clutch had the highest (off the floor) and most non-linear action I had ever experienced.

When I bought my 200mile GT the clutch felt completely different than the previous car, it felt like a regular clutch.

I can't explain the difference. Build date on my GT 06/06.[/b]
And again similar to some other member's experience, but unfortunately not all. This variation from car to car has led to allegations by some members that others don't know how to drive, based on an assumption that everybody else's clutch was like theirs, but they happened to get one that was more like a "normal" clutch.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have also noticed it. Every once in a while I'll completely screw up and send a shock through the car, but I just apologize to anyone riding and go on about my business. It happens at most once every 2-3 weeks anymore though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.