Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned my 2016 Mazda 6 for two years. I am having an issue with my car honking 3 times when I lock my car.

It use to honk only once, the manual states it should only honk once, and now it honks three times when I lock the car via key fob or button on the door, or even sitting in my car with the engine off and hitting the lock button.

One honk was bearable but three honks is an annoyance.

Addition information that might help, is that all doors lock, headlights and tail light flashes, trunk is closed, hood is closed, gas door is closed, and walking away locking all works but the three honks is really annoying.

Can someone shed some light on the 3 honks when locking when the manual clearly states it should only be once. Thank you for any information that might be helpful to restore the system back to one honk.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It can sometimes mean that a door is open when the key fob lock button is pressed.
I have triple check all doors, after I locked it and the 3 honks happen I went to every single door to see if it was locked and they all were.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Test each switch individually, open each door and manually press the door-light switch and verify the light turns off easily (not by wiggling it). Do the same with the trunk, many times the switch is located behind the hinges.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Obviously there is an issue in the locking system circuit that honks the horn 3 times instead of once rather then a door switch. Open a door, light comes on, easy enough to see dome light. Trunk, same thing. A wiring diagram would be really helpful. What ever that circuit or module, it will probably have to be replaced. I would reset the car battery first, perhaps like rebooting your phone. It's free, you will have to reset your auto windows and radio stations-no big deal on that. What ever controls the horn honk will probably be expensive so maybe get used to the horn.
I tried to look the problem up on the Internet. Not specific to door locking and horn but perhaps one of these may help. Most of these will also have their own warning light so they seem unlikely but worth checking. Suggestions below:

One of the doors is open
  • Emergency brake is on
  • Certain dashboard warning lights are illuminated
  • Blind Spot Monitoring
  • Low tire pressure
  • Ignition not switched off
  • Driver’s seat belt not fastened
  • Air bag problem
Research more of our Mazda tips and tricks

HOW TO STOP YOUR MAZDA FROM BEEPING
dashboard instrument cluster dimmer knob on mazdaAlthough the list above could be causing beeping sounds to be heard, chances are if you’ve come this far in your search, there is another cause. And chances are, that cause is the dashboard illumination dimmer.

The illumination dimmer knob can adjust the illumination level of the dashboard and instrument panel lights. Turning the knob to the left will dim the light, while turning it to the right makes the light brighter.

Whenever the knob has been turned to the maximum dim position, it will beep to alert you. This is what some owners have reported as being a cause for the mysterious beeping coming from their Mazda. To fix it, simply turn the knob so that it is not at the very dimmest level.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts