Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought my used 6 horn function just didn't work or I needed to set it up as some option. Recently it worked a couple of times, then nothing for maybe a month, and now that it's warmer out it's sounding the horn more often when I lock the doors, so this seems to be an intermittent problem. I don't know if it's worth fixing if there's some expense to it, but if it's just some troubleshooting or something else I need to do, I'll give it a try.

I searched for a combination of words across the forums and didn't see anything that addressed this specific issue.

Thanks in advance.

Donald

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
May I know what model is your car? Did you install an aftermarket part recently? One possibility is that one of the doors is not locking properly. I'll start with the door sensors.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have mentioned the model year: 2014 Mazda 6 sport model, no aftermarket parts other than a radio knob, fuse box cover, and floor mats.

The doors do lock. I test them from time to time as I don't trust modern technology fully.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
The doors do lock. I test them from time to time as I don't trust modern technology fully.
Yes, the doors may be locked but the one of the sensors doesn't see it to be locked. That horn might be the signal telling you that one of the doors is open, even though it's not.

I have the 2017 model and I don't see the usual sensors. I'm not sure if it's the magnetic type or capacitive type of sensor.

Perhaps I'll try to lock the doors with an open one and see if it will sound the horn.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I'll take a look and see if I can find the sensors. I have the factory shop manual on CDROM so it SHOULD be in there somewhere. If I can find them I'll use some contact cleaner on them. If I can get to the wiring harness to the sensors I can test the switches for resistance if they are mechanical switches.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I have the factory shop manual on CDROM
Factory shop manual?!? Can you "share" that to me?
😀

I've been trying to get my own copy from our local dealer but wasn't successful. My "friend" resigned but forgot to give me a copy first.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't want to break copyright laws but search on ebay and look for one for your year. It was less than $10 and mine came with a CDROM. Ask first. Some come with a PDF they send you a link to but the PDF is not well organized.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I don't want to break copyright laws but search on ebay and look for one for your year. It was less than $10 and mine came with a CDROM. Ask first. Some come with a PDF they send you a link to but the PDF is not well organized.
I didn't know you can buy that. And no one told me here in our local place. I guess they want to have "exclusive rights" so that customers will be dependent to them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd rather have the official print version but I couldn't find one. I still get a copy of either the CNilton's or Haynes' guides as they often offer alternatives to the special Mazda tools recommended in the OEM manuals.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts