Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, how are you all?

i've been a 6 owner for close to 2 months now, and i've done just over 3000km in it. Everything seems as though its really beginning to settle - the engine's less perky, and the handling's really beginning to develop some fluidity (if you know what i mean!). I've got several things to ask at this stage of the car's life:

1. Doesn anybody else's 6 sound noiser as it's aged? Before, my 6's engine (2.3 I4) only really started to get noisy after 3500rpm, but now, it seems as though its beginning in the late 2000s, early 3000rpms. Is this natural?

2. I want to know at what stage does the engine really begin to 'pack a punch'? Its quite satisfactory at the moment, but i know this thing can do better, you can just feel it!

thanks for your help!

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
Reading Topic: when does the engine get wild?

Not mine. It still sounds quiet to me and I have 13k miles on it. My engine packs a punch around 4500 to 5000 RPMs.

·
Registered
376 Posts

i noticed after my first oil change that the engine is more quiet with new oil... must be normal though, but that's my first new car... :)

·
Registered
1,358 Posts

I have 4000KM on it already. I rev it up to 6000rpm and found out I can hardly tell it's already in 6000rpm compare it to 3500rpm. It feels very smooth and I like it. :)

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Replying to Topic 'when does the engine get wild?'

I was racing a Porsche yesterday (don't ask) and I redlined in 1st gear as I was coming out of a toll plaza :wtf

Is the auto transmission not capable of keeping up with heavy foots? hehe

·
Registered
8,628 Posts

Originally posted by moocat

I was racing a Porsche yesterday (don't ask) and I redlined in 1st gear as I was coming out of a toll plaza :wtf  

Is the auto transmission not capable of keeping up with heavy foots? hehe[/b]
The auto transmission in the 6 is more than happy to redline you. That's a good thing for heavy foots, not a bad... it won't just shift you at 3000 rpm.

·
Registered
164 Posts

yeah, my engine is well not noisy but "louder" near the 2000rpm mark...

as for when my engine "packs that punch", well i've noticed is really quite smooth until the 3500rpm mark, which is where it suddenly pulls back and boom...or should i say "zoom"...lol

but then i again, i havent really put my foot all the way yet...i'm still on the 800km mark, so i'm tryin to keep the car under 3000rpm unless i really need it to overtake some dumbarse old idiot driving at 60km/h on the freeway...havent even gotten to the 1000km for the first service yet..but yeah, hope that helps...

·
Registered
8,628 Posts

Originally posted by akademik

yeah, my engine is well not noisy but "louder" near the 2000rpm mark...

as for when my engine "packs that punch", well i've noticed is really quite smooth until the 3500rpm mark, which is where it suddenly pulls back and boom...or should i say "zoom"...lol

but then i again, i havent really put my foot all the way yet...i'm still on the 800km mark, so i'm tryin to keep the car under 3000rpm unless i really need it to overtake some dumbarse old idiot driving at 60km/h on the freeway...havent even gotten to the 1000km for the first service yet..but yeah, hope that helps...[/b]
Yeah do NOT keep the car under 3000RPM during break in. You need to run hte whole rev range.

Breakin means don't do hard stops or starts, or continuously run the red line. But you need to run the whole range

·
Registered
1,358 Posts

Originally posted by MZ6ZoomZoom

Yeah do NOT keep the car under 3000RPM during break in.  You need to run hte whole rev range.

Breakin means don't do hard stops or starts, or continuously run the red line.  But you need to run the whole range[/b]
Agree. ;) It's stated in the owners manual. :hoho

·
Registered
1,510 Posts

Originally posted by moocat
            I was racing a Porsche yesterday (don't ask) and I redlined in 1st gear as I was coming out of a toll plaza[/b]
This is completely normal.

Why would you want the tranny to shift before redline when you're wanting maximum acceleration?

The engine is still making power until redline, so there's no reason to shift sooner under full throttle.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

after close to 4000km in the 6, i can tell you, the I4 does pack a good 'sophiscated' punch. I love it, gives power in a very well-mannered sort of way, very sophisicated, its great. It probably doesnt have the balls-out punch the v6 might deliver, but it still delivers what you ask of it.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts

i think the reall max power of the 6 is when u pull it to the red line...
7 perhaps?
that's why they said '122KW at 6500RPM'
maybe...just my assumption

·
Registered
2,256 Posts

How much stress would you put on the engine if you rev it to above 5k constantly as oppose to every now and then? hence what effect will this be for the engine's life in this regards?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts

Originally posted by M6Gr8

How much stress would you put on the engine if you rev it to above 5k constantly as oppose to every now and then? hence what effect will this be for the engine's life in this regards?[/b]
wear and worn law :)
more stress thus more friction,thus the atom bonding in the material will be stretched away from the original position,thus easier to reach elastic deformation. hence no do good to engine .i.e make engine die sooner
:)

·
Registered
2,256 Posts

Thx Kuniing-6,so what is the point for those modern engine that has peak power and torgue so high the rev range?Would it be useful at all for day to day useage?

·
Registered
8,628 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: when does the engine get wild?

It's not good to have a tq max so high, period. That's the one flaw with the 6.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts