Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Wheels recent yearbook they have a number of bests and worsts for 2002. Mazda 6 was mentioned several times.

Writers Personal Best and Worst:
"Mazda 6: Heresy! I think this is the best medium-size front-driver you can buy. Hapless brand snobs will refuse to believe its a better car than an Alfa 156, Audi A4 or Saab 9-3, but they're wrong."

"Japanese family sedans are just not meant to look this good, or have such extraordianry driver appeal. US edition with V6 especially wonderful."

2002 Milestones:
"Mazda hit the copetition for abig six (like a home run) with its new 6, which is set ot shake of the conservative image of its recent mainstream models. With a perky 2.3-litre four, sharp styling and sporty handling, the Mazda 6 should be a taste of better things to come."

You Win! You Lose!
"How long will it be before everyone esle perceives Mazda as the most desireable Japanese brand? We do. The Mazda 6 is the stand-out medium-size front-drive car sold in Australia today, regardless of price. Mazda 2 seems likely to repeat the performance in the premium mini category. Mazda RX-8 seems certain to invent a brand new category that it will both define and own. Mazda's new generation really stands out. Australian sales cimbed by well over 10 percent in 2002 and should do better in 2003."

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Reading Topic: Wheels Australia

Gee, some in the press are begining to get it! Of course Bob Hall writes for Wheels, so I'm sure he gave them a little nudge.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Everyone here seems to like the car heaps. Of course it is quite a bit cheaper than an Accord, they aren't even in the same price bracket, which helps (Mazda mid $30K vs mid $40K Australian). Theoretically if you package the Mazda with leather and stuff it balances out to be similar in price, but the base car is several thousand cheaper.

Its only real competition is a Camry which is quite an ugly automobile. The Vectra will give it some heat in April when its released, but nothing I've read puts the Vectra on the same level of style and quality.

·
Registered
119 Posts

Yeah solarbear that Camry is a real bush pig ! It has a way fat arse !

Mazda will only go from strength to strength as long as they build excitement, versatility and quality into all new models from now on. The new family is fantastic so far ! Getting a 2 to go with the 6 !
Pity the 8's off limits

Mazda will need to watch their pricing in Australia though, especially as the new stuff from rivals is released. We have the most price sensitive market in the world, just look how Hyundai's market share has plumetted since they stopped the elcheapo drive away bargains.

Mazda, Don't get greedy is what I'm saying.....

3c's to all

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I reckon it will be the Mazda3 that will either make or break Mazda in Australia. If it is as big an improvement as the other cars it may come to dominate that segment which is one of the 2 most important - much like the Astra has done recently. Time will tell I guess.

I have to laugh Ozpearl. I own a 323 Astina and just ordered a Mazda6. Seems like once you own a Mazda there is no going back.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Wheels Australia'

I have to laugh Ozpearl. I own a 323 Astina and just ordered a Mazda6. Seems like once you own a Mazda there is no going back.[/b]
Yep Totally Agree there........!!!!

So far I've had 1993 Bubble Shape Mazda 121, Mazda Tribute , 1999 Mazda 323 Astina, & Now 2002 Mazda6 Lux Hatch !

My Parents have also owned various Mazda Models as well, I have to blame them I suppose !!! :D :D

·
Registered
119 Posts

My first Mazda was a 1973 Coupe. Gave great value then for many years, until the rust got to her.

Had no say for a while, just took the company rep mobile as they were footin' the bill. Went to a 5.7l calais as my last "family" car - BIG MISTAKE that one couldn't wait to unload it for the M6

1 - 7 of 7 Posts