Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
John Carey, self confessed "Resident Grumpy Bastard", highly opinionated straight shooter journo who calls a bloody shovel a spade just to piss us ozzies off (Oh & Deputy Editor of Wheels magazine, Australia's highest circulation car mag) had this to say in his wrap up of "Best & Less" in the 2002 yearbook

Mazda 6

"Heresy ! I think this is the best medium-size front-driver you can buy. Hapless brand snobs will refuse to believe it's a better car than an Alfa 156, Audi A4 or Saab9-3, but they're wrong."

Mazda 8

"Okay. It was only a few laps around Mazda's Miyoshi proving ground near Hiroshima, but it was enough to convince me. Love the new side-port rotary, love the audacity of the concept, just love it..."

and lets not forget the Mazda 2 which received this accolade from JC

"Good, affordable small cars are hard to do. Mazda's 121 metro replacement has brilliant refinement and ride, excellent quality and is a lively, fun drive. A new mini-class leader ? You bet !"

maybe he is on the take from Mazda PR ?

3CCC's to all fellow M6 Yeasties, Cascade, Coopers & Crownies

:cheers

"So Many Roads - So Little Time"

http://community.webshots.com/album/60424394CgrJpc

·
Registered
231 Posts
Reading Topic: Wheels 2002 Yearbook loves Mazdas

And it came a close second to the new Ford Falcon in the car of the year balloting in wheels. It probably would have won if the Falcon wasn't offering so much value on paper. After 50000kms we'll see which one is the better car, my guess it the mazda will still be a new feeling fun to drive car while the falcon will be really old feeling... just past experience with fords coming through.

Couldn't figure anyone putting the Honda Jazz so high. Some people in the newspaper picked it as car of the year! Go figure. Its not even as good a car as the Mazda 2 when you look at price packages, power and handling.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Replying to Topic 'Wheels 2002 Yearbook loves Mazdas'

Originally posted by solarbear

And it came a close second to the new Ford Falcon in the car of the year balloting in wheels.  It probably would have won if the Falcon wasn't offering so much value on paper.  After 50000kms we'll see which one is the better car, my guess it the mazda will still be a new feeling fun to drive car while the falcon will be really old feeling... just past experience with fords coming through.[/b]
Hey solarbear, the well read,

Exactly why I choose Luxury sports over XR6. Falcon has had poor resale with AU, although the BA will be much better as long as fleets dont get sweetheart deals & flood the market in two years.
My "big" car is a 2000 VT11 Acclaim so I didn't want another family sized car either.

Once the new gloss rubs off, the Ford will still be just an XT with a few whistles, albeit very desirable ones.

I know the Mazda will still be tight, relatively unique and retained value should be exo. I just wish Mazda would consider AWD & V6 for us in the future.

Not living in Wagga solarbear, although I had a good pizza there once, so yep there must be at least 2 Pearl Luxury Sports running around NSW by now. (Over near Newcastle actually)

3C's to all :cheers

new pics of my baby http://community.webshots.com/album/60424394CgrJpc

So Many Roads - So Little Time

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.