Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the other day was nice, and rain wasn't forcasted for anytime soon, so I took the advantage to scrub my wheels down really good and get the road dust, and brake dust, off of my wheels.

Must say, car looks 100% better with clean wheels.

Now my question is this, while I was scrubbing, I noticed the area up in my wheel well, suspension and what not, is got a layer of grime. Not sure what all it is, but it appeared to be layers of dirt, possibly with some grease or something in there making it all about the consistancy of paste.

I wanted to clean this up, cause dirt can't make things work better, or look better, but had the following questions.

Is there anything in there I can screw up? (that's an obvious yes, but by cleaning I mean) Should I worry about any rubber pieces not reacting to any products, or using a high pressure water spray pushing water into places it shouldn't go? I mean it looks pretty harmless under there, but I don't want to go forcing water into my brake line, or messing anything up.

Any product recommendations for cutting through all the crap that's accumulated?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Is it in all four wheel wells or just one? There is a rubber coating applied to the bare sheetmetal areas that the liners don't cover. Can you post a pic of what the area looks like?

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I have never done more than blasted copious amounts of water into the wheel wells to flush out dirt and salt.

·
Registered
484 Posts
The area in the wheel well is designed to take the elements - high pressure water from driving, corrosive elements with salt spray, etc. You're not going to do much harm just cleaning up in there.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
And you're for SURE not gonna get water into your brake lines :laugh:

Agree with what everyone else stated, they're made to take the elements so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Not sure what this stuff is you're talking about but, if it's "dirt" then, it wasn't there from the factory ;) As for the grease... not a clue.

You could probably scrub them down pretty good, and you're still not going to get through the rubber coating applied to the insides of the wheel well (rust proofing?).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
6 Participants
blackmagik_13
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing