Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that there are no rear wheel well liners on my new Mazda6s. The dealer tells me this is normal. My front wheel wells have a liner, but not the rear. Is this true for everyone? My rear wheel well just has a material basically similar to the carper lining the trunk. The dealer says it is correct, but this just doesn't sound right. Any opinons?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Wheel Well'

Originally posted by benglish

I noticed that there are no rear wheel well liners on my new Mazda6s. The dealer tells me this is normal. My front wheel wells have a liner, but not the rear. Is this true for everyone? My rear wheel well just has a material basically similar to the carper lining the trunk. The dealer says it is correct, but this just doesn't sound right. Any opinons?[/b]
Hmm.... I'll have to go check on my way out this morning. I'll let you know
Where you from benglish?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I live in the Birmingham, AL area. My car is a loaded Mazda6s that was located at an Atlanta area dealer and driven over. Picekd it up last Wednesday night. Pretty happy with it.....except for my concern with the apparent lack of a rear wheel well liner. Thanks for your interest meat6!

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Reading Topic: Wheel Well

There is no rear liner. It's just this filt thing. That sucks. Could eventually become a corrosion problem with dirt and moist gathering in there. Have to keep an eye on that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

The felt well liner seems cheap and shoddy. Doesn't make much sense to me. I'm also concerned about it wicking moisture and potentially causing a corrosion problem. Mazda could have done a better job with this.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Mine feels and sounds like plastic. A little fiberious maybe to add sound deading?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

LBJay, is your rear wheel well liner the same material as in the front wheel wells? My front is clearly plastic, but the rear is like carpet or felt. Not the kind of material you would normally expose to the elements. To me, it looks like someone forgot to put the liner on the rear. Or perhaps the liner would not fit in the rear with the body add-ons that come with the sport package...so someone decided to "forget" about it. Who knows?

·
Registered
878 Posts

The rear on mine is not the same as the front. Looks and feels like the felt-fiber type you described benglish. I don't think Mazda would put a moisture absorbing material for a wheel liner. Must be some kind of sound absorbing material.....

·
Registered
878 Posts

Originally posted by Blackbird

"asphalt carpet"? Maybe? Not sure about the real name.[/b]
Well it seems very flexable.....not sure if asphalt carpet would be.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just found this old threead, got the same problem - my car's rear wheel well liners unlike the front ones are made from some cheap stuff that was the cause of corrosion on both rear wheel arches. Now after I fixed the corrosion the question is what can be done to prevent it from happening again? I tried searching online for plastic rear wheel well liners with no result. Is there any way that i can topcoat original liners with some sort of rubberized stuff so it doesn't accumulate moisture? Any suggestions would be helpful.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
I just removed mine as I don't want my rear quarter panels rusting out.
Undercoated car with LPS3.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts