Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone...

So I've looked around for a bit, but I couldn't really find anything concrete on this.

Does anyone know the biggest or most ideal size that can be used without rolling the fenders on the '13 GT sedan?

I've been looking into 19x8,5J or 9J with an offset of about 35 and tyres 245/45, but I've seen people running much bigger sizes...like 265's or something like that. I'd like to lower the car as well by about 1" or 1,5"(probably Eibach springs).

Or...do you guys think it's better to think it's better to think of rolling them anyway to get a nice flush'ish fitment? Not keen on stretchy tyres by the way...I like them to be kind of square.

Thanks in advance! ;-)

·
Rally Racer
1,973 Posts
Hi everyone...

So I've looked around for a bit, but I couldn't really find anything concrete on this.

Does anyone know the biggest or most ideal size that can be used without rolling the fenders on the '13 GT sedan?

I've been looking into 19x8,5J or 9J with an offset of about 35 and tyres 245/45, but I've seen people running much bigger sizes...like 265's or something like that. I'd like to lower the car as well by about 1" or 1,5"(probably Eibach springs).

Or...do you guys think it's better to think it's better to think of rolling them anyway to get a nice flush'ish fitment? Not keen on stretchy tyres by the way...I like them to be kind of square.

Thanks in advance! ;-)

If you don't find what you are looking for then you may be able to put it together from these two sites.
https://www.wheel-size.com/size/mazda/mazda6/2013/
https://tyrestretch.com/list
Good luck and don't forget to upload pics when you dial it in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys...

I want to lower it a little... though I'm more of a coilover guy, even if it's just for adjustability reasons. But at the moment I don't want to pay up for quality coils that are comfy... so springs should do it for now.
I know lowering first would be easier... But knowing in advance would be nice 😉

Thinking of some 19x8.5 Japan Racing jr5's or something like that.

·
Registered
61 Posts
8.5 with a +35 or bigger should be fine. I have an 8.5 on +30 and did have to roll the rears. Fronts were fine, but I am on coilovers so my drop will be different and it may be lower than the springs you wanted.

However, I am running 245/35/20. 245 will have somewhat of a slight stretched look on 8.5. Go for 265 if you are thinking of the 9" for a more squared up look.

The jr25 you are looking at doesn't seem to come in an offset other than 43 which should be fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Keenyia!

I have seen them do custom offsets sometimes on their blank wheel bases...I'd have to ask around. And otherwise chose a different wheel. I'd love some Work DR9's...though it's a much more expensive option.

So... You say, 8.5 with +35 should be fine fender-wise. But do they tuck into the fenders then or sit kind of flush... looking outside fender to outside wheel?
And the rear is a tighter fit than the front! That's a good thing to know.

Tyres. I think a little bigger then stock circumference wouldn't hurt, as the speedo seems to be a little off anyway. 245/45 on 8.5 should be fine looking I think.

I should really take some measurements on the car I guess.

·
Super Moderator
16,806 Posts
I personally think (obviously I'm biased) my rims/tires fit flawlessly in the OEM wheel wells and are perfectly flush everywhere. Lowering would 1" would be FINE, but any more and I'd be a little worried of rubbing. I've had enough weight in the trunk/back of the car to lower it about that much, and didn't have any issues.

2nd Photo is still on OEM springs but almost 6 years old so they've settled a tiny bit.

Here's mine:
20x8.5 E+35 TSW Nurburgrings in Gunmetal
255/35/R20 Falken Azenis FK450

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks @Byakuya

That's a really good reference picture! So you're not lowered at all? My 6 is from 2013 but has only 44k km's, so about 27k miles. Might be my springs aren't as worn.
I'd say you'd have a 60 to 70mm gap, as the 35 tyre height is about 90mm... Right?

·
Super Moderator
16,806 Posts
Thanks @Byakuya

That's a really good reference picture! So you're not lowered at all? My 6 is from 2013 but has only 44k km's, so about 27k miles. Might be my springs aren't as worn.
I'd say you'd have a 60 to 70mm gap, as the 35 tyre height is about 90mm... Right?
Yeah mine is the same year but I have 150k miles on it, so about 240k KM. Let me grab some more photos for reference real quick because I have no idea what the gap numbers would be off-hand :D

·
Super Moderator
16,806 Posts
@Gilmourish these are the best I could find quickly - Right-click and Open In New Tab for ZOOM

At the old house with a LOT of weight in the trunk/back I was artificially lowered:

Made it home without any issues, though I was pretty careful driving.

Somewhat back to normal after pulling things out:

Better angles of the fit:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Heres mines for reference.
https://forum.mazda6club.com/suspension-brakes/296465-lowered-6-owners-please-step-inside-14.html#post5035842

Because I'm on a slight stretched tire, it tucks in. But if you do a squared look setup, it will probably rub. The wheels themselves should line up with the fender pretty well but if you do lower them, there is a natural camber because of the suspension components are designed that way. When I was not lowered, the +30 was actually sticking out more than I liked, but once lowered; they tucked in well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@Byakuya
Thanks for those pics! Makes me think of just getting wheels first, without lowering right away.
Good to see that the standard springs can handle some extra weight.
I am kind of concerned about lowering too much...as I need to haul quite some stuff around a couple days a week. I'm a guitarist...so amps, guitars, flightcases and that djazz :p

@keenyia
That's a really gentle stretch though. Wouldn't mind that myself. With stretch I kind of ment 215's on a 9 wheel or something...ghehe ;-)
But this looks good! How much are you dropped?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just put some 18x9 +35 with 245 45 18 tyres on my GJ and the rears are fine but the fronts will need more than stock camber to not poke. That is stock height so when lowered they would need camber added front and rear. I plan on lowering in the future just not yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
462 Posts
@Gilmourish these are the best I could find quickly - Right-click and Open In New Tab for ZOOM

At the old house with a LOT of weight in the trunk/back I was artificially lowered:

Made it home without any issues, though I was pretty careful driving.

Somewhat back to normal after pulling things out:

Better angles of the fit:

I have been looking for wheels to swap out from the stock and I looked into yours...they're expensive af! They look so good though, I like the fitment and look. How do you think konig hypergrams would look on our Gen Mazda 6.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I personally think (obviously I'm biased) my rims/tires fit flawlessly in the OEM wheel wells and are perfectly flush everywhere. Lowering would 1" would be FINE, but any more and I'd be a little worried of rubbing. I've had enough weight in the trunk/back of the car to lower it about that much, and didn't have any issues.

2nd Photo is still on OEM springs but almost 6 years old so they've settled a tiny bit.

Here's mine:
20x8.5 E+35 TSW Nurburgrings in Gunmetal
255/35/R20 Falken Azenis FK450

How did you get them at 35? I'm on TSW website and they're currently showing 20 and 40 offset for the same rim size.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts