Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I have a 2006 Mazda 6s with OEM 18" rims and I want to widen the stance of the car using wheel spacers. At this point I have not lowered the car and just want to tires to be close to flush with the outside fender. What size wheel spacer should I get and will I need to roll the fenders?
Tire info:
18x7 55mm offset
215 45 18 Michelin Pilot Sports

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
QUOTE (LoveshisM6s @ Jan 27 2009, 03:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1510350
Alright, so I have a 2006 Mazda 6s with OEM 18" rims and I want to widen the stance of the car using wheel spacers. At this point I have not lowered the car and just want to tires to be close to flush with the outside fender. What size wheel spacer should I get and will I need to roll the fenders?
Tire info:
18x7 55mm offset
215 45 18 Michelin Pilot Sports[/b]
It's just 5mm, but based on Mazda spec's, I thought MS6 18's had 55mm offset, and M6 18"s 60mm ??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tire info:
18x7 55mm offset
215 45 18 Michelin Pilot Sports
[/qu

MMMM I looked them up on a mazda website that said 55mm and it showed my style rim not the speeds, but you can double check me.
So if they are 55mm, 5mm will bring them out flush?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Better question:
Can the wheel studs handle the force closer to the ends without bending/breaking?

You want as much lug nut on the stud as possible (since stockers are closed ended you can't see how far they go) and 5mm per side won't make much of a difference for looks or handling anyway.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
QUOTE (Brandini @ Feb 3 2009, 08:19 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1513608
Better question:
Can the wheel studs handle the force closer to the ends without bending/breaking?

You want as much lug nut on the stud as possible (since stockers are closed ended you can't see how far they go) and 5mm per side won't make much of a difference for looks or handling anyway.[/b]
+1

Beat me to it.

It'll decrease the service life of your wheel bearings. (although I don't think 5mm would be significant decrease...25mm are bearing killers)

It will probably decrease roll rate and wheel rate too. (softer feeling front end)

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I have the factory 18's for my V6 GT, and the offset is +55mm, stamped on the inside of the wheel.

I'm using 15mm spacers right now and the wheels sit flush with the fenders. My car is lowered with the rear fenders rolled. As for the wheel studs, the stock wheel studs will not be long enough to get enough threads on with the nuts if you put 15mm spacers in. My spacers came with longer studs that I had to replace the stock studs with. There is a different type of spacer where the spacer itself bolts onto the hub, and there is another set of studs that stick out of the spacer, if you get that kind then you won't have to replace the wheel studs. But that type of spacer sometimes causes problems depending on the type of wheel you use it on.

The longer studs that came with my spacers were a little bit too long though, and my stock wheel nuts aren't long enough so I had to get another set of wheel nuts, along with a new set of wheel locks.

I wouldn't even bother with 5mm spacers, the difference is so minimal you probably wouldn't even notice. I'd go with at least 10mm.

I had to get the spacers because the stock wheels won't clear my StopTech BBK. Even with the 15mm spacers they just barely clear, maybe by 1 or 2 mm.

And also, why do your 18's come with Michelin Pilots? Did those come from factory or did you replace your stock Pirellis already?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts