Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have searched...and its all greek to me. I honestly need someone to say..YES thats good, or NO its not good.

Its time for rims, and before you flame me...please realize...its not a matter of me not searching and finding...its a matter of me not understanding what I found.

I want to go 18 x 7.5.
The car is lowered with mazdaspeed hatch springs.

I have a found a few wheels that I am interested in, buuuut the offset has thrown me for a loop. I know its a commonly asked question, but I can't wrap my head around it (yes...maybe I am stupid).

The 18x 7.5 I want come in both a 43 and 48 offset. Would I be wrong in assuming the 48 is better being that it is closer to stock? Or should I go with the 43 due to the size of the rim and ultimately the tire which I have opted on 225/40 proxes.

Is either offset better with that tire setup...or at the risk of being ignorant, am I just dealing with fender fitment at this point?

Don't hurt me too bad...I am just under the assumption that the 48 is better.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
you are correct in your assumptions....+48 offset is an ideal setup for the car. I'm not sure if you'd have to roll or not with that setup becuase i had my fenders rolled long before i got any of my wheels. But i've had a 48 45 and 42 offset wheels.

42 rubbed on hard cornering....45 and 48 had no problems at all. Same tire size as your choice as well.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
You are right that the +48 would be better. Let us know what the wheel is and most likely somebody will be able to tell you if it will rub or not.
Don't worry, I asked all sorts of n00b questions this time last year...it's how you learn! :)

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Ok... my set-up is as follows:

18 x 7.5 wheels with +42 offset
225/40/18 tires

I'm getting lowered on MS sedan springs within the next month (springs are under my bed) so at the moment I'm on stock suspension.

I did the right thing and had my fenders rolled in advance of buying the wheels. However, when I got the wheels and rubber on the car, I was still rubbing badly in a certain spot along the wheel arch. So the fenders had to be rolled some more.

I should be OK once I get the springs installed, so I'm not worried.

There are people on this forum running even lower offset wheels, with lowering, who are doing just fine. They key is to ensure the fenders are rolled adequately.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts