Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've searched and found a lot of discussion on wheel offsets, but my particular question(s) hasn't exactly been addressed. If it has and I've missed the proper thread I apologize, but admittedly there is a lot to search thru.

So, about wheel offsets:
I'm planning on replacing my stock 17x7 aluminum wheels with some aftermarket ones. Ideally I would like a 7.5" rim as I eventually plan on going to a 225x45-17 tire when the OEM tires wear out. With less than 5k miles on them I really can't justify just tossing the Michelins out. It seems 7.5" rims are not terribly common and the ones I've seen are either (IMO) not very good looking or have very small offsets. At worst I'll just stick with a 7" wide wheel, it seems like there is a much wider selection available in that width and it also seems less likely to lead to any rubbing issues.
What I am uncertain about, and really need some definite answers to are the maximum offsets I can safely use with a stock ride height 2006 Mazda6s. I would prefer not to do the fender rolling, not that it's completely out of the question but I would like to know my options without pursuing that course of action. What is the smallest offset for either a 7" or a 7.5" rim that I should be shopping for?

thanks in advance for any help or advice ;)

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
+48mm
[/b]

thanks......would it be safe to assume it to work equally well for either a 7" or 7.5" wheel?

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
thanks......would it be safe to assume it to work equally well for either a 7" or 7.5" wheel?
[/b]
Yes, either one. 17x7.5 would be the better choice, though.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, either one. 17x7.5 would be the better choice, though.
[/b]
agreed.......the pickin's get a little slimmer in 7.5 but I'll keep looking

thanks!

·
Registered
394 Posts
yea id say a 7.5" with a +48 offset would be the way to go, give the tire a little more stretch for a bigger foot print. thats what im running and i got no problems. but you could step down to a +45 possibly a +43 with a 7" wheel.

hey toyo guy, i took a look at your car on cardomain. gotta say super nice lookin car man. not a huge red fan, but you made it look good. plus the toyo proxes4 helped a little hahahaha

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
hey toyo guy, i took a look at your car on cardomain. gotta say super nice lookin car man. not a huge red fan, but you made it look good. plus the toyo proxes4 helped a little hahahaha
[/b]
Thanks! :love:

·
Registered
679 Posts
Bringing this thread back from the dead....you say the smallest would be 48mm? What about 44mm? Would that fit? I am interested in some for my MS6.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea id say a 7.5" with a +48 offset would be the way to go, give the tire a little more stretch for a bigger foot print. thats what im running and i got no problems. but you could step down to a +45 possibly a +43 with a 7" wheel.
[/b]
well that's what's finally been decided on.........17x7.5 +48mm offset. The Michelins will go on them until they wear out and then some sort of 225-45x17 will replace 'em. Yes, Toyos are a strong possiblilty. :D

·
Registered
679 Posts
So a +44mm offset 17"x7" will be ok too?

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
17x7,5 (+48mm) with Toyo T1R 225/45 and Eibach Pro Kit. Fit Perfectly

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
17x7,5 (+48mm) with Toyo T1R 225/45 and Eibach Pro Kit. Fit Perfectly

[/b]
no fender rolling, right? I'm not lowering mine so if your setup fits with the lowering springs I should be in great shape.

thanks for the pics :D

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Yeah, no fender rolling.

·
Registered
679 Posts
So back to my ?....would a 44 fit?

·
Registered
42 Posts
It depends on the tire. As the wheel could never hit your fender, the real thing you have to watch is the tire. The tire is always centered on the wheel, thus if you change your offset by 10mm, and use the same tire, you move the tire 10mm closer to the fender. Even if you change to a wider wheel, the same is true, because the tire is centered on the rim. Having a 1" wider wheel makes the tire wider at the rim, but not at the tread, which is what you have to worry about. A wider tire on the same rim will also move the tire closer to the fender. Going from a 215 to a 235 makes the tire about 10mm farther out, and in. The problem with a wider wheel is backspacing. I can't comment on a regular 6, but on the speed6 there is only about 12mm clearance between the wheel/tire and the suspension.

Use this site to figure out your clearance... you'll get the idea... http://www.wheelsmaster.com/rt_specs.jsp

I personally put Enkei RSV's in the 18x7.5 +45 offset with Nitto 555's in the 235/40/18 size on my Speed6 today. ( yes, today ) I don't think they'll rub with the stock springs, but it looks like lowering will require rolling the rear fenders.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Cool. I am looking at some Ford Fusion rims for winter. They are 7" wide....44mm offset.

I may try to go with a 215 tire instead of the stock 225.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I personally put Enkei RSV's in the 18x7.5 +45 offset with Nitto 555's in the 235/40/18 size on my Speed6 today. ( yes, today ) I don't think they'll rub with the stock springs, but it looks like lowering will require rolling the rear fenders.
[/b]
Hardrocky,

How is this setup working out for you? I'm looking at this same size wheel but with 225/45's.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
45 offset is the lowest i would go with a 7.5" wheel. Any lower and you would have to roll the fenders.. id recommend a 48-50 offset...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts