Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been going around the internet trying to figure out these TSW Vortex wheels would fit properly in a 2009-current Mazda6 iGT without any rubbing or body work (rolling fenders, etc).

Here are the specs for the wheel from Discount Tire:

17 X 8 5-114.3 40HS

17" Wheels
Width: 8" (stock is 7")
Offset: 40mm (stock is 55mm, iirc. 15mm difference)

Out of all the wheels I've looked at, I really like these. Sharp-looking in HyperSilver, simple, and easy to clean ;) Not really into the chrome version of it tho...

A lot of the wheels being sold on Discount Tire have offsets of 38-42mm on a 17" wheel and I'm wondering if they'll also have problems rubbing...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh hey, cool! Thanks for the reply!

I noticed that there's a 15mm offset difference for these wheels compared with the stock wheels. Could that much offset cause accelerated wear on the suspension and wheel assemblies?

Also, I was wondering if you happen to know the weight of these 17" wheels?

·
Registered
659 Posts
QUOTE (arvin07 @ Feb 11 2010, 07:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1636352

I noticed that there's a 15mm offset difference for these wheels compared with the stock wheels. Could that much offset cause accelerated wear on the suspension and wheel assemblies?

Also, I was wondering if you happen to know the weight of these 17" wheels?[/b]
Bought tires from DDD this year - good service.

WEIRD: TWM's website doesn't have the full specs -- very dumb.

They have the Gen 2 typeS TL wheels: NURBURGRING

Personally, I like the ASAN the best -- I'll probably never spend money on new wheels again . . .I'd just scratch 'em anyhow.

---edit---

what the F?? $358 for a set of wheels delivered??? ARGH --- no. I still have CR-V wheels in the basement . . . nooo BAD ERNIE. Man, I shoulda ordered them at the same time :D the wife woulda hit the roof over that one ;)

No. Adzam Mazda scratched my OE rims putting the effing tires on, so they'da messed up the new wheels too . . . oh well.

Free ship guys !

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
QUOTE (arvin07 @ Feb 11 2010, 05:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1636352

Backspacing on these wheels is only 1/10" difference compared to stock with the added width. You shouldn't have any issues with your suspension or wheel assemblies. According to my Data sheets they weight 25lbs.

·
Registered
898 Posts
QUOTE (arvin07 @ Feb 12 2010, 03:22 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1636352

Don't do it, man. Rubbing is actually the least of your problems. With my first 6, a 2005 JDM, the stock wheels were 55mm. I used offset 40 wheels for a few months, and the result was that I had to replace the lower control arms twice inside of 10,000 kilometers. The offset being so "extreme", the center lines of the front wheels are sitting outside the steering axis, which means that the road force, in collaboration with the weight of the car, would have the wheels try to pull the ball joints out of their sockets. That, of course, results in hugely accelerated ball joint wear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts