Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right, I have the ALT Meka's on from the group buy but I've been having some issues. First off, I didn't have lugs that would fit properly. Turns out the Mazdaspeed lugs from those accessory wheels fit just right, who woulda thought?

But now the real problem. The fronts went on without issue, but the rears, well, the bore on the wheel isn't quite deep enough to allow the wheel to sit flush against the hub. For a band-aid, we put a washer around each stud and bolted them on that way. It worked, but only temporarily. I then went to a tuner shop and bought 2 5mm wheel spacers. It was the thinnest size they had, and that seems to have solved the problem.

Hero, what's up with this? You ever had this problem? Am I okay to run with these spacers? I'm a bit nervous about the whole thing now.... I'm quite concerned that something's out of whack here. HELP!

Oh, and roll those fenders completely with these. I didn't do enough and had some rubbing, but the bat took care of that. But now, these spacers, man I'm nervous.

BTW, they're 18x7.5 with a 42mm offset, and I'm running these 5mm spacers. My fenders are rolled and I just drove over some healthy speed bumps with my 4 other wheels and tires in the trunk, and not a sound. Am I good to go? I've never heard of people using wheel spacers before.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Sounds like the hub bore is 67.1 (the factory size) but the depth of the hole is not enough to clear the hub in the rear (as you described). I recall reading that some running the Mazda RX7 wheels had to use spacers due to this. Maybe some Rota wheels too?

So, it sounds like you can either run the spacer or get the opening on the wheel center hole made a bit deeper. I'm sure if I'm not describing this correctly someone will speak up...

·
Registered
81 Posts
The fronts went on without issue, but the rears, well, the bore on the wheel isn't quite deep enough to allow the wheel to sit flush against the hub.

I then went to a tuner shop and bought 2 5mm wheel spacers. It was the thinnest size they had, and that seems to have solved the problem.

[/b]
Wow! That sounds very frustrating. All the planning you put into the purchase, and then you get blindsided by something totatally unpredictable. You are lucky that someone knowledgeable mounted your new wheels. Most places wouldn't have even noticed that the wheels weren't flush. Actually, most places wouldn't even care.

I would think that since somebody actually makes a product called a wheel spacer, that you aren't the first to have such a problem. I would also think that your problem could have been worse. It could have been the fronts that needed the spacers.

I will be interested to know how your car handles. With the 5 mm spacers, it's almost like you are running a 37 mm offset. Good luck! Post some pics when you get a chance.

·
Registered
905 Posts
the issue with the bore depth is exactly the same with the rx-7 wheels. You'll be safe as far as the wheels not flying off or anything. If you're not rubbing with wheels and tires in the back you should be fine.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's an installed picture. I found a site that has 3mm spacers vs the 5mm's that I'm using right now. I also need some hubcentric rings, as I've got some decent vibrations coming from the fronts.

I don't know man, I"m still real nervous about this setup. Anyone else care to chime in?

Attachments

·
Registered
398 Posts
Just curious but were these mounted on the Mazda6 or the Mazdaspeed6?

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
yo, the vibes probably are not because you dont have hubcentric rings up front, with the acorn style lugnuts, the mazda 6 wheels are in fact lugcentric. hell, the alt wheels i bought actually dont have the holes in the center of the wheel, believe it or not. theyre off by a bit, (im sure i told you this at the meet in ohio) so that would ruin the chance of wanting hubcentric.

here's the calculation of how closer (when compared to stock) you are to your fender with that spacer
Package will stick out 23 mm (0.9'') farther. Make sure that you have enough room under the fender. If not, consider narrower tires or higher offset.

and if you take into account that the section width is a bit larger, it pushes it to 1 inch closer to the fender, in fact, your at the ABSOLUTE limit of the fenders in the rear, rarely have people gotten away with running that, and if so , they roll them very far and even pull the fenders a bit.

i would not do any agressive driving at all until you either bore the wheels out more, or get a smaller spacer.

the vibrations your feeling (if your still using acorn style lugnuts, in other words, lugnuts with a conical shape to the threaded end) in my opinion might be the tires. remember me complaining about that at the meet, when above 80 i'd have some vibrations? the vibrations are gone now, but they werent noticible until 80+

i'd make sure everything was properly balanced, make sure you fix that rear end, and if possible rotate the wheel thats vibing to the rear for awhile, see if it makes it a bit better.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, the smallest spacer I've found to exist is 3mm in thickness, which is just 2mm smaller than what I have. I've hit some serious speedbumps and train tracks with the spacers and so far so good, and I did roll with a bat, but I still could roll some more. No rubbing yet, but man I did rub pretty nasty before the spacers were on because I didn't roll down the edge towards the front of the car. Yikes man, that's some scary shit. Luckily I had my bat with me and solved the problem right away.

Should I order those 3mm spacers? I mean, how much difference can 2mm make?

And where in the hell could I go to get these wheels bored out more? Is that even safe?

Hey 6gun, would you be able to fab me up some spacers that are approximately 1/16" thick? Would that be safe?

Man, not sure if this is worth it or not....

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah man. The tech at Park that mounted 'em up for me said it was 80 1000th's of an inch of space between the wheel and the hub when it bottomed out in the wheel bore. He measured the difference with one of those little tiny measuring tools, name escapes me. When I left to go find spacers, I did so with a washer around each stud and it was nice and tight, but made me nervous. That's why I didn't want these spacers, being 5mm and all, but they were cheap and seemed safer than the washers. They're real fucking close to fitting right, but not quite, they won't sit flush in the rear because of that tiny difference.

I should be more specific about the vibes. It's more like the steering wheel going left to right real fast if you let go of it. I actually can feel it at slower speeds, but on the freeway it's real noticable. You can actually see the steering wheel wiggling real fast when you let go of it. I already ordered the hubcentric rings, so we'll just have to see if that does anything. My Kazeras from Tirerack came with what they called mandatory rings, so maybe that will help. If not, I'll have to go back down there and have them rebalanced.

So what the hell should I do about the rears? I'm fucking freaking out about this shit, I'm about to just go pull 'em off and say hell with it.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
if alt says that they will fit the mazda 6, tell them that yours dont, and send them back, they will fix it.

tell heronew to talk to them, he talked to them for me when i was havin some issues with mine.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Problem is, it says right on the box that they can't be returned for fitment problems if tires have been mounted. That was my fault, I shoulda checked first. I've got fucking Strep Throat right now so I can't do shit until I"m feeling better.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
ask those morons at ALT wheels how to find out fitment issues without mounting them, especially the vibes.

He measured the difference with one of those little tiny measuring tools, name escapes me[/b]
and the measuring tool is called a "feeler".

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
yeah that was the qualm i had with alt, if they make bad wheels, what person in their right mind would try to see if they were round when they are brand new?

they're response was if they were defective, unmount them, and return them and they will check it out. if they are defective they will replace.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll be moving the front to the back and whatnot tomorrow to check for defective wheels, and if that's not it, this just isn't gonna work out.

The search continues...

Hmm, smoking deal on a set of 18x8 +48mm on Tirerack, that'll fit with a roll won't it?

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Shuk W21 18x8, same ones that TXWagon has on his sweet ass cherry wagon. It's just not a HUGE change from what I've already got, but they are nice looking. $139/wheel marked down from $279.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
8 Participants
RaGe
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing