Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the other day when I take my 03 6i into a hard right turn or a turn in a parking lost, there is a high pitch squeal from the front drivers side wheel... Is this what I think it is? If so, I believe it's covered under warrenty, right?

·
Registered
318 Posts
When a wheel bearing is shot it will make a grinding sound that usually can be felt as well as heard. The high pitched sound you're describing sounds like it might be you brakes. Maybe a wear indicator on the brake pads?

If the problem is a wheel bearing, yes it should be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When a wheel bearing is shot it will make a grinding sound that usually can be felt as well as heard. The high pitched sound you're describing sounds like it might be you brakes. Maybe a wear indicator on the brake pads?

If the problem is a wheel bearing, yes it should be covered under warranty.
[/b]

Brakes? Why would it only do that under load though and not straight?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Not 100% sure, but I've had several cars do that before. If I drove straight or turned one way it would be quiet. Turn the other way and I hear a squealing sound. Replacing the pads fixed the problem in every case. May not be your problem though...

Any other symptoms?

·
Registered
449 Posts
There's a TSB out for it. It's a problem with the brakes. Search for brake squeal and you should find about a 100 posts about it. Wheel bearings tend to tick when going in a straight line, they don't squeal.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's a TSB out for it. It's a problem with the brakes. Search for brake squeal and you should find about a 100 posts about it. Wheel bearings tend to tick when going in a straight line, they don't squeal.
[/b]

Cool, thanks for the info. I am going to check out the posts now... Pardon my n00bness, but TSB means that it's just a documented issue. This will NOT be covered under warrenty, right?

·
Registered
412 Posts
How many miles do you have? Could just be worn brakes... mine have started doing that when I turn the wheel close to the max one way and brake (like when turning into a parking spot). Took a look at the pads and it's definitely getting very low.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts