Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

When I put my snow tires on this winter, I noticed that one tire was really badly worn. The tire place suggested that they do a wheel alignment. The performed the alignment and provided me with the following report. Does it look like everything is ok with the report? After having put a few miles on the car - I notice that the front end seems really loose - I find myself having to correct a lot. It is hard to describe, but the front end seems to drift a little now. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. :drive:

Thanks in advance!

Jason

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi everyone,

When I put my snow tires on this winter, I noticed that one tire was really badly worn. The tire place suggested that they do a wheel alignment. The performed the alignment and provided me with the following report. Does it look like everything is ok with the report? After having put a few miles on the car - I notice that the front end seems really loose - I find myself having to correct a lot. It is hard to describe, but the front end seems to drift a little now. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. :drive:

Thanks in advance!
Jason
[/b]
I'd want to know how the front camber and caster changed since that is not adjustable. The mismatched rear toe isn't good, but the difference is small enough it may not matter. You had a very small amount more front and rear toe-in before which will tend to make the car track better at speed--that may be what you're noticing, but the changes are so small I'm surprised you can tell the difference. Did you drive it with the new alignment on your summer tires, or just after the switch to the winter set?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd want to know how the front camber and caster changed since that is not adjustable. The mismatched rear toe isn't good, but the difference is small enough it may not matter. You had a very small amount more front and rear toe-in before which will tend to make the car track better at speed--that may be what you're noticing, but the changes are so small I'm surprised you can tell the difference. Did you drive it with the new alignment on your summer tires, or just after the switch to the winter set?
[/b]
Hi there - the scan is all they gave me.

This is the second season with my snow tires - they are Dunlop Winter Sport M3 - on 16" steelies. Last year - these tires did not exhibit the same handling problems since my alignment. I actually think these tires are better than the factory Michelin's that came on the car.

To be clear - the car is not all over the road, it does not pull aggressively, under hard acceleration or braking... I just notice that I need to correct more often - and it seems in both directions. Before it will pulling slightly to one side - now it seems to float and require more correction.

Is it worth taking the car back to get them to check it again?

I sure wish they had an aftermarket camber kit - will this get progressively worse with a lowering kit?

Thanks for your help!

Jason

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi there - the scan is all they gave me.

This is the second season with my snow tires - they are Dunlop Winter Sport M3 - on 16" steelies. Last year - these tires did not exhibit the same handling problems since my alignment. I actually think these tires are better than the factory Michelin's that came on the car.

To be clear - the car is not all over the road, it does not pull aggressively, under hard acceleration or braking... I just notice that I need to correct more often - and it seems in both directions. Before it will pulling slightly to one side - now it seems to float and require more correction.

Is it worth taking the car back to get them to check it again?

I sure wish they had an aftermarket camber kit - will this get progressively worse with a lowering kit?

Thanks for your help!
Jason[/b]
Your car's toe was within factory specification (0.18 deg +/- 0.37 deg) before and after the alignment. If you'd like to get the car to handle like it did before, look to get the same total toe front and rear as you did when you brought it in (or go with a little more toe in than before). Ideally the toe should match left to right. The shop may be willing to reset it, but the difference is so small there's a good chance they'd send you away.

The camber numbers look reasonable. I just wonder about their measurement accuracy since the front caster and camber could not have changed during the alignment.

Lowering the car will add negative camber. The optimum amount of negative camber depends on your tires' stiffness and grip as well as your driving style. Are you considering lowering for looks or performance?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts