Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to add some proper bass but don't want a big sub in a big box.

Retaining boot space is important.

Any suggestions ?

My 6 is a 5 door (hatchback is what we call it in the UK).

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
you can get those 6.5" subs that are meant to go in a back deck or a door

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
i have kicker solobarics in my winter beater, they require a very small amount of airspace...my friend had them in his truck before i had them in my car

·
Registered
86 Posts
i have kicker solobarics in my winter beater, they require a very small amount of airspace...my friend had them in his truck before i had them in my car
[/b]
I agree. Those subs dont require alot of space to get the job done. Other good brands are Kove or Boston Acoustic.

And AngryDevil, you have a hatchback. Anything you put in there will sound loud/great. The less compartments the sound has to go through, the better it sounds. Thats why a lot of people fold their back seat down.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
That's what I used. The throw is huge, so these speakers can move as much air as a 10" woofer.

I ended up putting them in my rear doors. Every now and then they'd rattle, but for the most part I loved the setup. You could also build a very small cube with an 8" passive radiator. I had planned to do this, but was ultimately too happy with the door installation to switch.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Or you can go free air and use no box at all, you can even place it where the original one goes if you beef up the rear shelf. That would use the absolute least space of any. You won't get big bass but thats not your goal so it'd work.

Just another option.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Or you can go free air and use no box at all, you can even place it where the original one goes if you beef up the rear shelf. That would use the absolute least space of any. You won't get big bass but thats not your goal so it'd work.

Just another option.
[/b]
He's got a hatch. It'd be pretty difficult to go infinite baffle. ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Just another option.
[/b]
Yeah I'm tempted to down the free air root, however, long time ago I had an entire shelf stolen by some low life scum. So if I go free air again, I'll need to make sure it's totally stealthy.

He's got a hatch. It'd be pretty difficult to go infinite baffle. ;)
[/b]
DaveRulz - was that a joke ? :)

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
DaveRulz - was that a joke ? :)
[/b]
Not a joke at all, for Infinite Baffle, aka "free air" to work, the front and back waves of the speaker must be isolated from eachother. In a hatch, it'll be pretty difficult to get it to work since it would be VERY difficult to seal off the entire hatch from the passenger compartment. Read up on IB installations, or even aperiodic membrane installations, and you'll see what I'm saying.

·
Registered
491 Posts
In a hatch, it would basically be a wall, which means you would hafta seal it off extremely well. Yes it would be difficult but could be done.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
In a hatch, it would basically be a wall, which means you would hafta seal it off extremely well. Yes it would be difficult but could be done.
[/b]
Pretty sure it'd be a little more difficult than just building a wall. He'd have to contend with sealing the top portion when the hatch is closed. A wall is all that would be required to do it in a sedan, since the only vent through to the cabin is the opening through the seats. With a hatch, it's almost impossible to make the trunk into a perfectly sealed off chamber, without just building an enormous box into it. It would totally defeat the purpose of owning a hatch to try to properly do a IB set up in one.

Back to the topic at hand, There are a slew of woofers out there that take very small sealed boxes, and being in a hatch, you really probably wouldn't need anything larger than an 8 or 10 inch speaker to get good results. Many 8's require only .25-.35 cubic feet, and some 10's take as little as .5 cubic feet. Should be pretty easy to come up with a small subwoofer with big results.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
15 Participants
bigger_george
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing