Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My '04 6 has had a real bad coolant leak for a while now (it's been undriveable), and I finally traced the problem to a sheared coolant T just below / in front of the water pump (see the picture). Could anyone tell me what this T connects, and where I could find another one? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
17,209 Posts
That's actually a pretty common issue with our cars. Those stupid little Ts break.

Your options are:

- Buy a new one from Autozone or Mazda.

- Buy a brass fitting from HomeDepot so it won't break again.

- Do the coolant-T bypass. THere are several threads on here with information about doing this so the T doesn't become a problem again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've seen the threads on the coolant t bypass before, but I thought they were all for the T that feeds the throttle body, near the battery tray. Are you saying this T is the other end of that line?

I'd like to get another one from Mazda/autozone, but I've got to figure out it's description or part number first.

·
Super Moderator
17,209 Posts
I've seen the threads on the coolant t bypass before, but I thought they were all for the T that feeds the throttle body, near the battery tray. Are you saying this T is the other end of that line?

I'd like to get another one from Mazda/autozone, but I've got to figure out it's description or part number first.
Oh I'm sorry, you're right. Out of habit I saw "coolant T" and assumed it was the normal one.

This should get you in the right direction at least: MAZDA 6 FULL WORKSHOP MANUAL!!!!!!!!!!!!

If not, maybe it's in here: http://forum.mazda6club.com/3-0l-v6/239248-3-0l-v6-one-stop-shop.html or http://forum.mazda6club.com/3-0l-v6/258158-final-impacts-running-list-links-help-solve-issues.html

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found it here in one of the posts you linked to, thanks. "Final Impact" calls it the "lower water pump hose w/ long hose to the TB". So it looks like it is indeed the other end of the TB hose supply loop. He calls out the main line sizes as 5/8" ID, and I think the TB coolant line is 3/8" ID, so I will just get a 1/2" NPT tee and some hose barb adapters from home depot and that should do the trick.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Looked over the other threads but did not see my question answered.

Is the problem T on the lower hose(s) a problem for all years of the first gen, or was the T upgraded/strengthened at any point and no longer a problem?

Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's not foolproof logic, Chris, but based on the fact that FinalImpact lists the same lower hose assembly part number for an '08 6 and " '05 and earlier" 6's, I'm going to guess they never changed the fitting on the first gens.

If it's any consolation, I don't think this lower tee fitting is as notorious for breaking as the upper T near the throttle body is - I did some searching before posting here and came up with very little. The problem occurred on my 04 6s at 205,000 miles.

I was able to pick up a $4 plastic replacement at an autozone today that I think is going to work, it's a 5/8" hose tee with a 3/8" side fitting, so that should hopefully do the trick. Will try it this weekend and report back.

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks for taking the time to look through that info for me, I didn't catch that.

My 6s only has 59kmi (but almost 10 years) on it but I figured that if that lower T is such a big potential problem I'd just replace it for peace of mind. Dorman offers a replacement that they claim is not just a replacement but an upgraded part and is allegedly more reliable.

Good luck with the T replacement this weekend. If that Help part works for you that would be a nice inexpensive fix.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Again, pmoeckler, that's the upper T, I was talking about the lower T fitting.

Update for anyone interested: the fitting worked perfectly, but man was it a bear to get at that fitting without pulling off the pulley above the water pump. I'm a slow mechanic, but it took me maybe 5 hours of going back and forth between wriggling my hands through from above the engine bay and working at it underneath (had to jack up the car and take off the splash guard). It's on now, though, seems to have fixed my problem.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Well done! Speed doesn't matter unless your a professional mechanic and that's how you make your living. You saved yourself a bunch of money and now have the satisfaction of knowing that you did it yourself. Cool.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts