Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Look for someone selling a used set of Kosei's with tires? Id say thats your best bet. Ive seen a few different sets come though.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Rota's.... you can find a set of 17's for $600 shipped and a set of falkens for $400...

Just to back myself up...

Subydude.com for Rota Slipstreams (VERY light)...
DiscountTire is $104.00 a tire for Azenis St115's...

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Rota's.... you can find a set of 17's for $600 shipped and a set of falkens for $400...

Just to back myself up...

Subydude.com for Rota Slipstreams (VERY light)...
DiscountTire is $104.00 a tire for Azenis St115's...
[/b]

Just remember that you have to have the right hubbore and offset. Thats gets into almost custom work, not an off the shelf rim usually. Check with GreenNuggs on that.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I have found places that stock all of our equipment, 18racing.com is one of them...

I actually ordered some subzero's but on the way home I saw them on a civic and that was it... not for me ;)

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Remember that having the lightest tire isn't always the best choice. Falken RT-215's, RT-615's Kuhmo MX's, and Hankook Z212's are considerably heavier then many street tires, yet are also some of the highest performing models (in terms of dry traction and handling).

And if you want the lightest wheel possible, drop the size down if you want to save some money.

You can pick up a set of 16x8 +50 offset (15 lb) rx7 wheels for about 250-350 for an entire set. There are even lighter 16's avail if you want to spendmore.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Order the Rotas through MachIII, when I attempted to order some 17x8.5 steel grey Slipstreams (Which were on infinite backorder with no light at the end of the tunnel), Dave @ MachIII was very courteous and understanding of our platform and made sure a hub bore of 60mm was ordered, so I could use hub rings for a hubcentric fit.

Checking back recently, MachIII seems to have alot of Rotas in 16s and 17s in stock and like it was mentioned, around $600 to $700 for a set and you could easily pick up some decent tires for $300 to $400, still meeting your $1K goal.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
azenis st115 are some of the heavier tires around: 26lbs for the 225/45/17 size. quiet tires have their downsides. if you're looking at track/autocrossing and having a different set of wheels (stockies) for every day use, then i'd recommend Kuhmo Ecsta SPT. they're lighter and cheaper than the ST115s

it's probably what i'll be getting once i get the balls to get a 2nd set of wheels.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
If you ever have no clue whatsoever whether one tire is grippier then another, and you don't know how to use google or search a forum, the best course is to look at the treadwear rating. "Generally" low treadwear ratings will indicate a very aggressive tire compound, and/or shallower tread depth, both which result in a much gripier tire. Higher treadwear tires generally sacrifice grip and handling for longevity, ride comfort, and noise levels.

A good look at the tread will also give you an indication as to the tires performance. The less grooves and channels in the tread, the more surface area, and in turn greater dry traction with less tread deflection under cornering stress.

Just glancing at the RT-215 vs something like a ST-115 gives you a good idea of the traction differences.

Then of course the ST-115 will probably ride about 500% quieter, smoother, and last 2-4x as long.

Looking at falken's lineup..

RT-215 (Treadwear 200, Awesome Tire, Can get Heatsoaked rather fast)
RT-615 (Treadwear 200, replacement for the 215, limited sizes)
FK-451 (Treadwear 280, Plus Sized Performance)
ST-115 (Treadwear 360, Marketed as "anti-noise tire")

And just for fun...
Toyo RA-1 (Treadwear 100, R comp goodness)

Remember these are just general, "I don't want to search or learn" ways of looking at tires. You should still use google, and search the scca, miata, mini cooper, and corner-carvers forums for more feedback and information on everyone's current tire favorites.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Order the Rotas through MachIII, when I attempted to order some 17x8.5 steel grey Slipstreams (Which were on infinite backorder with no light at the end of the tunnel), Dave @ MachIII was very courteous and understanding of our platform and made sure a hub bore of 60mm was ordered, so I could use hub rings for a hubcentric fit.
[/b]
You may have mistyped but our hub is 67.1mm? Ala you need a wheel with a hub bore greater than that for the wheel to fit or to even need a hubring :headscrat:.

--

Either way, considering light weight wheel tire set-ups priced for under $1K, and with Kosei's in mind, you might want to check-out the following. Hurry up though...

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=49092

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I got my Kazera's off tirerack with wheels for under 1000 bucks.....

Used Kosei's would be your best bet but they are not very abundant. Also before you buy rota's, do a search. Some of their models have fitament problems. I almost ordered subzero's but found a guy on here who had to modify the rears to get them to fit.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Edgeracing

Enkei Wheel Rp02 (silver)
Size: 18x7.5
PCD: 5x114.3
ET: 45
Weight: 18.1lbs.
$89/rim

Falken Ziex Ze 512
225/40R18
21.6Lbs.
360 Treadwear
UHPASW Rated
$95/tire

$736.00 before shipping

http://www.edgeracing.com/2005/Mazda/6/

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
You could try centerline. They make forged wheels which are pretty lightweight and priced reasonably.

http://www.centerlinewheels.com

Do a vechichle search on the mazda6. It is 42 offset, so it might be a bit tight but if I recall correctly, some people do use them here.

For example, the 17x7 RPM line costs $159 each (including shipping) and weigh 13.5lbs each!

·
Registered
978 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
About this Discussion
34 Replies
20 Participants
ktm137
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing