Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bumper that I'm trying to sell and most of you know. What would be the best way to ship it to get the price of shipping down? I don't think UPS is going to accept it because it's so damn big and I'd rather not ship a painted bumper in a cardboard box where it can flex and be crushed etc. I checked on freighting it, but that's gonna cost about $200 plus me building a wooden crate to put it in. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
I have a suggestion. Could you make the title of your topic something that indicates what the topic will be about? I don't know how to protect and ship something that large, and thus I never would have read this thread if I knew what it was about.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I have a bumper that I'm trying to sell and most of you know. What would be the best way to ship it to get the price of shipping down? I don't think UPS is going to accept it because it's so damn big and I'd rather not ship a painted bumper in a cardboard box where it can flex and be crushed etc. I checked on freighting it, but that's gonna cost about $200 plus me building a wooden crate to put it in. Any suggestions?
[/b]
I don't see how you have any real option on shipping the bumper. If you don't protect it properly it will get damaged. If you do protect it, it will cost you a lot to ship. Just let any prospective buyer know how much it will be up front.

Ask cvrmotorsports or accolade how they ship their kits.
[/b]
Places that do a lot of shipping get great deals when using the same carrier, or they negotiate a great deal in a contract. No individual is going to get the same rate.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a suggestion. Could you make the title of your topic something that indicates what the topic will be about? I don't know how to protect and ship something that large, and thus I never would have read this thread if I knew what it was about.
[/b]
changed just for you, but it got your attention didn't it?

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
hands down the best way is to ship it greyhound. It costs like $50 coast to coast gets there in 3 or 4 days. As long as you both have a location near you it works great.

·
Registered
449 Posts
why not wrap it up in bubblewrap to protect it and then put it into a cardboard box?

as for the actual shipping process i have no clue.
[/b]
Its about flex not dents/scratches. The paint will be chipped and cracked all to shit.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Greyhound is definitely the best way. Done it several times. They're actually the fastest, cheapest, and most reliable means of shipping something that size and fragile. It'll cost you about $50 and take about 2-3 days anywhere in the country. Compared to $150 and 1-2 weeks using general freight.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Greyhound is definitely the best way. Done it several times. They're actually the fastest, cheapest, and most reliable means of shipping something that size and fragile. It'll cost you about $50 and take about 2-3 days anywhere in the country. Compared to $150 and 1-2 weeks using general freight.
[/b]
yea i just checked their website tonight for shipping and it was like $60 which is pretty damn good. Do you all think I should build a box out of panelling to prevent damage and flexing or should cardboard be sufficient? it's already bubble wrapped.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
I've always just shipped and received mine wrapped in a heavy layer of bubble-wrap and plastic wrap. I think it's unusual shape/size makes it more likely that it will be handled with better care than if you had it hidden in a box that's more likely to be thrown around.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
yea i just checked their website tonight for shipping and it was like $60 which is pretty damn good. Do you all think I should build a box out of panelling to prevent damage and flexing or should cardboard be sufficient? it's already bubble wrapped.
[/b]

what id did is just two peices of a dowl (think wooden stick) in between the lower part and the two parts that connect arround the grille. Those two thin peices that stick up are the ones that could get bend out of shape. then i wrapped the whole thing in bubble wrap.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
10 Participants
oakfan52
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing