Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If I am keeping the stock DP for now, is a DNP mani a waste of money? I know my stock dp is a big restriction for me, but I have an extended warranty I want to keep. That's why I have a TP and not a DP. I consider the DP the point of now return. Is it the same for an ex mani? Can the mani be swapped out for stock without leaving any evidence for a (catastrophic) dealer visit?

I was thinking of waiting until next year to do a mani along with a BT and DP, because that just makes sense. I'm also a little sketched about the DNP mani holding up with a BT. I know skates has had to do some welding maintenance, and I'd rather not deal with that. I've heard the stock exhaust mani is bullet proof, and I think I'd rather keep that with a BT & DP and make a bit less hp/tq, than going to welding school, lol. So, would I even get good gains with the DNP mani and stock DP, or is that just dumb? I know I'm better off getting the DP first, but my hands are a bit tied w/ the warranty.

I was also thinking of getting a water/meth kit, which I'm leaning towards. I get very little KR, but I who doesn't want a colder intake charge, and the cleaning aspects of a W/M kit?? Shame on me, but I put the OCC off (criminal, I know), but hopefully that will be going in next month.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
a mani isnt going to be very good gains if your still using a stock downpipe, also the down pipe was an easier install than a mani for me anyway.

bite the bullet and do the down pipe, you wont regret it, with your mods it will be a big difference

Reactions: dougefresh_

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
a mani isnt going to be very good gains if your still using a stock downpipe, also the down pipe was an easier install than a mani for me anyway.

bite the bullet and do the down pipe, you wont regret it, with your mods it will be a big difference
Yeah, that's what I was thinking about the mani. I know I'd love the DP, and I'll bet it will be a noticeable gain. It's such a bottleneck for me. I think I might bite the bullet and hook one up in the next few months... gotta catch up on some big o' bills first :unsure:. Now that the fmic is in, I was able to update the pics in my sig ;)

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mani is pointless without a DP and they are both pretty much the same issue as far as warranty goes...
Yeah, that's what I figured :(.

Stop worrying about warranties if you plan on going big.
As soon as I'm done with my exams, they'll be no need for me to worry :D.

·
Registered
548 Posts
learn how to tighten up a hose clamp before you decide to go with a DP or Mani...:)

·
Registered
548 Posts
welding is easy, buy me this..Browser Level Verification and i'll weld whatever you want.

and we're still on for thursday. do you want to save the trip and just do this in my driveway? i don't really care but it will save a trip and lugging a bunch of tools around as i have everything we need including multiple jacks and stands, creapers, cardboard for soft knealing on the ground.

let me know.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
learn how to tighten up a hose clamp before you decide to go with a DP or Mani...:)
welding is easy, buy me this..Browser Level Verification and i'll weld whatever you want.
How about I buy you this instead:

lol. Just don't flake on Thursday like you did the other day punk :p. I'm feeling much better today, but not spectacular. I'm gonna bang in tomorrow if I'm not 100% and rest up. My car's health is more important than mine, after all.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
and we're still on for thursday. do you want to save the trip and just do this in my driveway? i don't really care but it will save a trip and lugging a bunch of tools around as i have everything we need including multiple jacks and stands, creapers, cardboard for soft knealing on the ground.

let me know.
I was thinking about this, and thought it would be better to go over there. It's going to be hard to hear/feel around for leaks outside, w/ noise and wind, etc.. and their garage is nice and quite. I have my 3-ton jack, stands, and creeper over there. I also have most of my tools in the car. All we really need is another drill, a couple ratchets, and the compressor :).

It's a good thing you couldn't do Sat anyways... I was half-dead at South Shore Hospital anyways, lol.

I like the idea of moving the MAF onto the pipe going to the throttle body, and having the BOV behind it so you can run VTA without losing any metered air. I don't think there's enough between the BOV flange and the TB though, to allow for air-straightener fins, and then the MAF housing. If there is, that would be something worth welding. I guess I could just get a pipe bent that would fit, and mount the BOV further away, to leave room for the straighteners and the MAF housing. Hmmmmm....

This was the thread I came across http://forum.mazda6club.com/speed6-engine-drivetrain/227127-operation-relocated-maf-underway.html

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Go big or go home. There's no dicking around when you start talking about BIG TURBOS. You won't benefit from having one unless you get the whole package. BIG TURBO without all the supporting mods is like skeletor with DDs...there's no point.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
W/M injection would be a better decision. Like others said the manifold is useless without a down pipe. W/M is more of a safety mod. You won't tell a difference in power.

Reactions: dougefresh_

·
Registered
548 Posts
he has to learn to drive the car with the power he has now first before he starts thinking about more power,

maybe i'll buy him some tools first to practice with.

try these first, then move up to not over tightening real bolts. after that we'll talk more power.

·
Registered
819 Posts
W/M injection would be a better decision. Like others said the manifold is useless without a down pipe. W/M is more of a safety mod. You won't tell a difference in power.

not entirely true because you can make lots of power. With the cooling properties and fuel mixture w/ meth, you can add timing, raise boost then shoot 100% Duty cycle @ wot and you have more power w/ more boost while running cooler and no knock.

my meth map is 25whp/30tq more than my dry map

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Go big or go home. There's no dicking around when you start talking about BIG TURBOS. You won't benefit from having one unless you get the whole package. BIG TURBO without all the supporting mods is like skeletor with DDs...there's no point.
I'm at home right now, lol. BT was the plan... note my sig. But that's for next year. Are you running the DNP mani? Does your 3071 cause cracks in it? I'd rather run the stock mani though if the BT is gonna lead to cracks in it as w/ Skates & Yochi.

he has to learn to drive the car with the power he has now first before he starts thinking about more power,
You beat a 1.89 second 60' with your first 3 launches, then come back and talk shit ;) But remember not to do that with the stock band-aid that's holding your rear diff in place, lol. And I already have that tool set.. it's the one I used to install the fmic :lol:.

not entirely true because you can make lots of power. With the cooling properties and fuel mixture w/ meth, you can add timing, raise boost then shoot 100% Duty cycle @ wot and you have more power w/ more boost while running cooler and no knock. my meth map is 25whp/30tq more than my dry map
I'd probably just use it as a safety buffer like Qwik said, and not tune for meth. I know the stage 2 kits have variable meth injection control and you can add a fail safe, but I'd use it just to add a safety buffer, and for cleaning purposes. I'd want to be done w/ all the performance mods (DP, BT, Mani) before I thought about tuning for meth. Plus, I would like w/m hooked up before I went BT. I don't really get any KR now... highest I've ever seen at WOT is 1.75, and that was once. Normally always 0, with 0.3 (=0) and 0.7 once in awhile.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Some mis-information here my man.

I cracked the Mani because of stress to the runner via recirc pipe.

Where is the assumption that mani's crack comin from? DNP's like what I have now are of very good quality. Many many people have had no issues. Also, you need to get rid of that Cobb AP as that is not gonna help you make power.

A guy over on MSF w/ 3076, stock block made like 330/316 and probably maxed out w/ the AP.

If you're gonna stay stock mani w/ 30R and AP, then I would suggest you go BNR or something along the lines.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I'm at home right now, lol. BT was the plan... note my sig. But that's for next year. Are you running the DNP mani? Does your 3071 cause cracks in it? I'd rather run the stock mani though if the BT is gonna lead to cracks in it as w/ Skates & Yochi.
I ran the PG V2 w/EWG and it was great. I ran it for probably a little over a year with no problems and shipped it off to someone else on MSF I think.

Do meth before anything else. You benefit from the safety aspect of it more than anything. Do meth with a 20 psi map. That'll keep you happy for a while.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I cracked the Mani because of stress to the runner via recirc pipe.

Where is the assumption that mani's crack comin from? DNP's like what I have now are of very good quality. Many many people have had no issues. Also, you need to get rid of that Cobb AP as that is not gonna help you make power.

A guy over on MSF w/ 3076, stock block made like 330/316 and probably maxed out w/ the AP.

If you're gonna stay stock mani w/ 30R and AP, then I would suggest you go BNR or something along the lines.
Do you mean there are a lot of people with a 3076+ w/ a DNP mani that have no problems with cracks/etc..? If so, that is good news. I'm quite familiar with "the wall" and the tuning limitations of the AP, and plan of switching to the CPE "Mystery Flashes" if necessary.

What kind of dyno was the dude w/ 330/316 on?

·
Registered
498 Posts

Who is that? I know 18psi is running the 3076 with stock block and he is pushing 382whp and 355wtq with just 20 psi on the AP. Nothing wrong with the AP msf gets a few people to start saying the SB is great then the whole forum jumps on board with little to no proof. Dont get me wrong the SB is a great tuning solution but I don't think dumping the AP will get you some magic hidden dyno numbers. AP with a good protune is definitly not a bad way to go.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts