Mazda 6 Forums banner

whats a steering knuckle?

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Waldo 
#1 ·
a really long link

is the component(s) depicted on the page above a steering knuckle? The reason I ask is because I have a 1.33 degree front left camber and the alignment shop said my steering knuckle is bent and it costs $636 to fix it. And of course I dont want to pay that much so I would rather like to obtain the part myself and see if I can get one of those auto repair shops (that are ussually run by asians) that do things cheaply to do it.

#3 ·
Yes, number 3 would be the knuckle.

I'm sure you can get the part and do it yourself.
[/b]
Thanks. Yeah I actually would like to do it myself, Im a pretty mechanically inclined person (plus I love to learn whenever I get the chance). The only thing is that I have no experiance with car suspensions and Im not sure how difficult it is to get at the knuckle. Can anyone offer me tips on that?

#4 ·
Thanks. Yeah I actually would like to do it myself, Im a pretty mechanically inclined person (plus I love to learn whenever I get the chance). The only thing is that I have no experiance with car suspensions and Im not sure how difficult it is to get at the knuckle. Can anyone offer me tips on that?
[/b]
Pain in the arse... Make sure you have a breaker bar.. or two. You also will need some tools to remove the ball joints from the knuckle (upper control arm, lower control arms and tie rod). Be careful not to damage the boots on any of the ball joints. Make sure you have all the torques for the bolts and a torque wrench. I'm not sure how the hub is attached to the knuckle on the 6, but you might need a puller to remove and re-press the wheel bearing.

#5 ·
Pain in the arse... Make sure you have a breaker bar.. or two. You also will need some tools to remove the ball joints from the knuckle (upper control arm, lower control arms and tie rod). Be careful not to damage the boots on any of the ball joints. Make sure you have all the torques for the bolts and a torque wrench. I'm not sure how the hub is attached to the knuckle on the 6, but you might need a puller to remove and re-press the wheel bearing.
[/b]

grreat.... doesnt sound like something I can do in an afternoon anymore.

#6 ·
grreat.... doesnt sound like something I can do in an afternoon anymore.
[/b]
Plus you will need to realign the car after the new knuckle is installed.

I have a hard time believing that the knuckle is bent. It's a pretty sturdy cast piece. It's far more likely to bend the shock or tie-rod before bending the knuckle. Are you sure the shop is telling you the truth?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.