Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a coupon in the mail for the cooling system flush and service. the coupon says for $79, I have 60k on the car. it is worthy? let me know. :goon:

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
It's a good idea to flush your coolant every 2-3 years. If you want to save money, you can just buy the coolant of your choice + about 8 gallons worth of distilled water and do this yourself.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
If you don't have the ability to properly dispose of the coolant, then take it to a shop you trust and have them do it.

It's not cool to just dump it into the sewer system or into the ground water.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Woah Modcon!!! is she naked O_O

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Woah Modcon!!! is she naked O_O
[/b]
Nope - she's wearing lots of soapsuds!
:D
No more revelaing than some of the other avatars!

·
Registered
2017 MZ6 GT Jet Black Mica
3,570 Posts
^^ Props for the naked soapy ho :p

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
The shop that I used to trust out here told me that when shops flush your coolant they add first run through some type of protectant fluid to help the parts last longer... because the coolant is corrosive?? Now I'm not one to normally believe a mechanic but, like I said, I used to trust them.

Let's also make the distinction right now between flushing all the coolant and flushing the radiator.

·
Registered
747 Posts
It's a good idea to flush your coolant every 2-3 years. If you want to save money, you can just buy the coolant of your choice + about 8 gallons worth of distilled water and do this yourself.
[/b]
What if you're an ID10T like me and buy a new 6 and then only put 7,000 miles on it in 3 years... is it like oil that (they want you to think) deteriorates over time after being put into use regardless of pace, or is it independent of time and really a (say) "30K" mile operation?

Heading to the shop on Tuesday for my 6-month oil change before parking for winter, should I have them do the coolant as well? Car is 3 years in service this week with factory coolant.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
What if you're an ID10T like me and buy a new 6 and then only put 7,000 miles on it in 3 years... is it like oil that (they want you to think) deteriorates over time after being put into use regardless of pace, or is it independent of time and really a (say) "30K" mile operation?

Heading to the shop on Tuesday for my 6-month oil change before parking for winter, should I have them do the coolant as well? Car is 3 years in service this week with factory coolant. [/b]
coolant should really be done on a time basis as opposed to just absolute mileage. after three years i would suggest a flush and refill.

if you store the car every winter the best time to change the oil is right before putting it away. oil picks up acids and dirt from the combustion process, so changing it right before that winter storage will be the kindest for your motor.

·
Registered
747 Posts
coolant should really be done on a time basis as opposed to just absolute mileage. after three years i would suggest a flush and refill.

if you store the car every winter the best time to change the oil is right before putting it away. oil picks up acids and dirt from the combustion process, so changing it right before that winter storage will be the kindest for your motor.
[/b]
Thanks for the advice. I usually change the oil in October (while roads are still clear) and may get a couple hundred miles in before the "final park"; I then usually change it in April after I start using it regularly. The local Mazda dealer doesn't seem to discourage despite the low mileage between changes :)

I haven't had to pay for anything other than oil changes on this car, so I'm about ready to splurge for a coolant flush/refill as part of long-term preventive maintenance.

·
Registered
147 Posts
One of my many visits at mazda some lady had coolant replaced on her vehicle other than mazda dealrship.

The problem was they used a different type of coolant than the one for her car.

So she had a leak problem and they didn't want to pay for her fix poor lady so it's up to you.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I just got a coupon in the mail for the cooling system flush and service. the coupon says for $79, I have 60k on the car. it is worthy? let me know. :goon:
[/b]
I think $79 is a bit pricey, last coupon I got in the mail was $56.

[/b]
The first flush is five years or 60,000 miles according to the manual I think, correct me if I'm wrong. After that it's every two to three years.

If you don't have the ability to properly dispose of the coolant, then take it to a shop you trust and have them do it.

It's not cool to just dump it into the sewer system or into the ground water.
[/b]
I agree, protect the environment!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts