Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just about everyone agrees that the speed6 is too heavy and that the wheels/tires are too thin. So I am trying to decide between 225's and 235's on a 7.5 inch rim. Would you rather have the extra cm of the 235 even if it added 3lbs of unsprung weight per tire? Or would you give up the rubber on the ground for 12lbs of unsprung weight, tire weight all the way out at the edge where it is so hard to get moving? Sorry if ths should be in the wheels and tires thread but I'm not sure if weight and skinny tires is a problem of all 6s.

·
Registered
595 Posts
get the Mazdaspeed RAYS forged wheels (18x7.5). Lighter than the stock rims by alot...dont know the exact amount but it has been posted many times. Use the stock tires until they are gone, probably 15-20k miles if you are lucky. Then get some 225 width tires.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
get the Mazdaspeed RAYS forged wheels (18x7.5). Lighter than the stock rims by alot...dont know the exact amount but it has been posted many times. Use the stock tires until they are gone, probably 15-20k miles if you are lucky. Then get some 225 width tires.
[/b]
I actually found some really light rims supposedly in the 15lb range. I didn't want to expound on that until they actually showed up and were weighed simply because it seemed too good to be true. If it is true I should save about 7 lbs per wheel from stock. I was more concerned about what to wrap them in. But thanks for the vote for 225s

·
Registered
375 Posts
10 cms of extra tire is not going to give you too much help with anything assuming you are using the same tire.

if i were you id go to a real tire shop, not pep boys or town fair tire, and ask about different compounds of tires and what is used for what and then get a tire that has the right grip level for you

im assuming youll need a stronger sidewall tire because the awd cars dont lose much traction going straight

id reccomend the hih end goodyear eagle f1/gs(found on ferrarri mclaren vette most high high performance car)
or even the firestone potenza on firebird/camaros

all of those cars need alot more grip than your mazda and these tires do the trick very well

·
Registered
243 Posts
It just depends on what you're going to do with the car. If your plan is to run it in autocrosses or something where power is less at issue than handling, take the 235-40-18's. If you want to drag race, stick with the 215's. Frankly, the 225's will do nothing for racing and less for handling than the 235's, the weight is somewhat irrelevant.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Get some 17x8 Kosei K1-TS, 15.5 lbs each, and I have a 235 on my 6s

·
Registered
156 Posts
Depends on what the car will be used for. Me? Drive almost daily (4-5 days a week) and have some auto-x fun on the weekend, I will probably end up with 225s if I keep the stock rim.
Even if I add a set of lightweight rims, probably keep the same tire range 215-225. A 235 would look extremely nice with the fenders, but not sure I will ever make use of them. Yes, I may auto-x the Speed 6, but my real "fun" car is the 1991 Miata. I can do what ever I want to that car and not get any "stern" looks.

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
900 Posts
Just about everyone agrees that the speed6 wheels/tires are too thin. So I am trying to decide between 225's and 235's on a 7.5 inch rim. [/b]
7.5" rims will do better with 225 width tires. 235's would start to go a bit oversquare and that affects stability. That being said it sometimes gets more fun than that. Ever noticed how the same "size" tire looks different from brand to brand? Sorry, off subject.

Also, it's not just the size tire that is on the Speed6, it's the tire that they are using. A good 225/40-18 would go a long way to tightening things up for you and there would not likely be a notable weight penalty. I like surfing Tirerack because they post real world surveys and reviews that can really help in the decision process.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I actually found some really light rims supposedly in the 15lb range. I didn't want to expound on that until they actually showed up and were weighed simply because it seemed too good to be true. If it is true I should save about 7 lbs per wheel from stock. I was more concerned about what to wrap them in. But thanks for the vote for 225s
[/b]
so you're just going to keep it for yourself?...weak

what brand/type/size are they?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so you're just going to keep it for yourself?...weak

what brand/type/size are they?
[/b]
I was planning on sharing but finding these rims was a long story and it still isn't over yet. I ordered them at least two months ago from an out of business company and am still waiting. I want to have them in my hands before I really talk about them because otherwise it would be just speculation. Once I have them or know that I won't have them I will have plenty of sharing to do.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I was planning on sharing but finding these rims was a long story and it still isn't over yet. I ordered them at least two months ago from an out of business company and am still waiting. I want to have them in my hands before I really talk about them because otherwise it would be just speculation. Once I have them or know that I won't have them I will have plenty of sharing to do.
[/b]
I still don't see why you wont tell us what they are...

anyway back to the subject here are how I rate the important factors in wheel selection:
1. Appearence (I know it's vain but the look of wheels can make or break a car's appearence)
2. Width (who doesnt want great handling?)
3. Weight (this factors in at 3 only because my taste of wheels is very specific and that taste happens to normaly form lighter weight wheels I like simpler/classy designs SSR GT7's are beautiful IMO)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I still don't see why you wont tell us what they are...

anyway back to the subject here are how I rate the important factors in wheel selection:
1. Appearence (I know it's vain but the look of wheels can make or break a car's appearence)
2. Width (who doesnt want great handling?)
3. Weight (this factors in at 3 only because my taste of wheels is very specific and that taste happens to normaly form lighter weight wheels I like simpler/classy designs SSR GT7's are beautiful IMO)
[/b]
Fine the out of business company is 6061forged the rims the A5LW. I agree with what you say above, and actually found it hard to find wheels that weighed in light but IMO looked good as well. I wouldn't put something that I felt was ugly just because it was light, and I'm really picky to me most rims are ugly.
[attachmentid=15273]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Fine the out of business company is 6061forged the rims the A5LW. I agree with what you say above, and actually found it hard to find wheels that weighed in light but IMO looked good as well. I wouldn't put something that I felt was ugly just because it was light, and I'm really picky to me most rims are ugly.[attachmentid=15265]
[/b]
wow terrible picture...

they don't look like my cup of tea but good luck anyway

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do they offer the correct offset (45+) and bolt pattern? They seem hella light if you can get them...
[/b]
That's another thing I'm a little worried about. The person I am dealing with said that the rims could be made to order I just needed to give him the offset. My local tire shop said the offset should be 42mm and the guy I am dealing with said that he contacted someone at Antera that said the same thing. I'm hoping that the 42mm offset works. I think there were a few speed6s in the member wheels section that had that offset and were fine. But to answer your question they were able to do 45 but did 42 instead.

·
Registered
566 Posts
That's another thing I'm a little worried about. The person I am dealing with said that the rims could be made to order I just needed to give him the offset. My local tire shop said the offset should be 42mm and the guy I am dealing with said that he contacted someone at Antera that said the same thing. I'm hoping that the 42mm offset works. I think there were a few speed6s in the member wheels section that had that offset and were fine. But to answer your question they were able to do 45 but did 42 instead.
[/b]
That seems wrong. Most people are quoting at least a 48 and preferably 50+mm offset for the wider wheel... If I could get a 17X7.5 or an 18X7.5 at 15#, I'd be a happy camper!

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
jeremy, if you're looking for forged wheels (light weight is the way to go for best overall performance) and cost is a secondary issue, then consider Fikse wheels. They are top quality forged wheels and are all custom made to order. Great-looking, too:

http://www.fikse.com/

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
The 235's aren't just wider, they're a larger diameter. Thus, the load rating on the 235's is higher. This lets you run them at lower tire pressures, increasing your contact patch. Increasing the tire's width does not increase your contact patch, but lowering your tire pressure does. Go for the wider tire.

Though, as an aside, you might want to rethink a 7.5" wide wheel. That is too narrow for this car (even if better than stock) and especially a 235 tire. 18's are a mistake too- just look at the tire load ratings compared to a 17 (not to mention wheel weights). Personally, I think the best solution by far on this car is 17x8 or 17x8.5's with either 235/45/17 or 245/40/17's. Be warned that 245/40/17's are less likely to rub than 235/45/17's because they are a smaller diameter.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts