Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a speed6 to be able to take a late 90's camaro ss w/ basic bolt ons in the quarter mile?

most sites i've seen rate the camaro ss at around 13.9 in the quarter mile and my C&D mag says 14 even for a speed6

Now the camaro may also have boltons, but i don't think it get's nearly the same gains as a speed6 does from boltons.

So what do you think? camaro w/ basic intake and exhaust type upgrades Vs Speed6 W/ CAI, Exhaust and possibly a downpipe?

(I ask because i'll be getting a speed6 soon and my friend with a camaro ss is already talking about how it's just a pansy little 2.3 liter regardless of turbo and since he's a stupid muscle car kid that doesn't understand how much a speed6 would demolish his little camaro on a road course, beating him(or at least coming close) up at bandimere's drag strip is basically the only real way to shut him up.)

·
Registered
744 Posts
im not an expert in camaros but i believe basic bolt ons would give more gains for a ms6. the only thing is there are more out there right now for the camaro. If you could say two bolt ons for each car i believe youd gain more with the mazda.

·
Registered
270 Posts
my stock 02 Z28 ran 13.5's and some have run faster than that. if it's an auto he'd be smart to put in a 4k stall. with just a stall it's very possible to break into the 12's. normal bolt ons will yield similar times. without a good tune, I don't see the speed hanging with an LS1 car. dollar for dollar in bolt ons, I'm betting on the camaro.

and i wouldn't completely discount a well driven f-body on a road course. In fact the scca classifies the camaro SS as AS and the speed6 as DS.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know if this makes much difference but i found out it's a 1996, so maybe the specific year will help you make your decision.

I know the 1996 has about 35-40hp less than the 2002 model mentioned above although it's the same engine so i'm guessing it's fairly simple to make up that extra power difference?

·
Registered
706 Posts
I ran 13.37 @ 107.7 in my 99 Z28 6 speed bone stock. There are quite a few stronger ones running 12.90's -13.20's. Evan Smith ran 12.89 in a bone stock 98 Z28 6 speed stripper back in 1997.

·
Registered
270 Posts
alright that makes a big difference. 93-97 are LT1 cars. the last true 350. awesome torque band but the cars aren't as fast out of the box. they put out 285 hp for the Z and the SS was 305 (only like 2500 made). I think most ppl were running right around 14.00
if he just has an intake and catback i'd say high 13's still. it'll be a drivers race but you have the edge.

I ran 13.37 @ 107.7 in my 99 Z28 6 speed bone stock. There are quite a few stronger ones running 12.90's -13.20's. Evan Smith ran 12.89 in a bone stock 98 Z28 6 speed stripper back in 1997.
[/b]
w00t

these cars consistantly put down almost as much hp to the wheels that chevy was advertising for the crank

·
Registered
113 Posts
alright that makes a big difference. 93-97 are LT1 cars. the last true 350. awesome torque band but the cars aren't as fast out of the box. they put out 285 hp for the Z and the SS was 305 (only like 2500 made). I think most ppl were running right around 14.00
if he just has an intake and catback i'd say high 13's still. it'll be a drivers race but you have the edge.
w00t

these cars consistantly put down almost as much hp to the wheels that chevy was advertising for the crank
[/b]
Yes, he should be very carefull the way he chooses his race. I drove a stock 2002 Z28 to a 12.87 @ 106.8mph, and a stock 97 Z28 (last year of the LT1) to a 13.56 @ 102.8mph. Both 6speeds.

His best advantage is going to be the AWD and prey that the other driver doesnt quite have the skill needed to drive the car, but I will also say, patience if the aftermarket picks up for the Speed6, the modifications to make some serious power shouldnt be too far behind and make it possible to have no problem with said camaros.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
afew mods and it will be a good race.
the best hing about the speed6 is untill you get to about 400whp the car will be easy to race.the comaro will just get harder and harder to be concistant in

·
Registered
113 Posts
afew mods and it will be a good race.
the best hing about the speed6 is untill you get to about 400whp the car will be easy to race.the comaro will just get harder and harder to be concistant in
[/b]
You sir, havnt a clue.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Dollar for dollar the camaro wins every time, mod for mod maybe not. Full exhaust on the MS6 will prolly net better gains than on the camaro. Tuing will deffinitly net more on the MS6. In the end the camaros strong point is stright line acceleration, take him to a track ro autoX and he should be relatively easy to beat (stock).

·
Registered
2,661 Posts

w00t

these cars consistantly put down almost as much hp to the wheels that chevy was advertising for the crank[/b]
.......and if you really believe that 285hp rating I have a bridge for sale :nana:

bone stock there's little performance difference between the last LT1 cars and the LS1. It does seem the LS1 responds a little better to some simple tweaking, so advantage LS1 in that area.

when you start talking modifications, all bets are off, as it becomes a game of money, but stock out of the box for both cars I'd be putting my money heavily on the Camaro. Horsepower's hard to beat and in that category it has the advantage.

Dollar for dollar the camaro wins every time, mod for mod maybe not. Full exhaust on the MS6 will prolly net better gains than on the camaro. Tuing will deffinitly net more on the MS6. In the end the camaros strong point is stright line acceleration, take him to a track ro autoX and he should be relatively easy to beat (stock).[/b]
I'll disagree quite strongly with that. In an autocross course I'll still put my money on the Camaro. Suspension is much easier to set up on the Camaro, and lots of good specific aftermarket parts are available for this car. Weight: The camaro comes in lighter than the MS6 (4th gen car). Brakes: Probably fairly equal, both have well designed 4-wheel disc ABS systems.

This assumes all other things being equal. A good or bad driver in either car can make all the differernce in the world, but lets remember that several SCCA Solo National titles in both F-Stock and E-Street Prepared have been taken home by a Camaro.

Detroit Iron can do a lot more than just go fast in a straight line.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I clearly and deliberately specified STOCK thanks for playing...

·
Registered
23 Posts
a friend of mine has a 97 ss auto, lt1 with i,h,e and ran 14.1. Now he has heads, HOT cam and stall and runs 13.1. Regaurdless you will own him in the curves, or piss him off every time it rains :nana:

·
Registered
113 Posts
bone stock there's little performance difference between the last LT1 cars and the LS1. It does seem the LS1 responds a little better to some simple tweaking, so advantage LS1 in that area.[/b]
Hmmm a stock LT1 M6 will put down around 265rwhp, and stock LS1 M6 around 290-300rwhp. Thats a pretty significant differance. And the 1/4 times reflect that. A very good driver in an LT1 M6 may be able to net a mid 13 at best, but more typicaly along the lines of 13.7s-13.8s, where as a very good driver in an LS1 can knock off high 12s. They both respond equaly well with bolt on parts, but with an LS1 your dealing with an already vastly better cylinder head design.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
For a speed6 to be able to take a late 90's camaro ss w/ basic bolt ons in the quarter mile?

most sites i've seen rate the camaro ss at around 13.9 in the quarter mile and my C&D mag says 14 even for a speed6

Now the camaro may also have boltons, but i don't think it get's nearly the same gains as a speed6 does from boltons.

So what do you think? camaro w/ basic intake and exhaust type upgrades Vs Speed6 W/ CAI, Exhaust and possibly a downpipe?

(I ask because i'll be getting a speed6 soon and my friend with a camaro ss is already talking about how it's just a pansy little 2.3 liter regardless of turbo and since he's a stupid muscle car kid that doesn't understand how much a speed6 would demolish his little camaro on a road course, beating him(or at least coming close) up at bandimere's drag strip is basically the only real way to shut him up.)[/b]
Ordinarily I would give the nod to the Camaro as far as mod for mod, it's going to be easier to make power out of the V8. However since it's an LT1 instead of an LS1, and you're in Colorado (Bandimere is 5800ft) I think you should beat him out. Mostly due to the high altitude, as turbo cars generally lose about half the power that NA cars lose as altitude increases. When I had my 350Z at this altitude coming from Texas, it felt completely ball-less. It weighs 300lbs less than my MS6, and supposedly has 13hp, but up here, my MS6 would smoke the doors off of my old Z, even from a roll. Just another mute point, I work at a Mazda dealership (Burt), and we have a Ford dealership next door... I've driven both the MS3 & Mustang GT, and at this altitude, I can assure you, the MS3 would pull a bus length easily on the GT from a roll (although the MS3 gets no traction lol). Altitude makes a huge difference. When the weather clears up, run him at Bandi, and post results :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.