Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Note: i put this up in the wheels/tires section but didnt get too much in the way of replies. Since it's specific to the size of the ms6 wheels, i thought i would move it over here.

i need to add a set of performance winter tires to my speed6 but i cant decide on whether or not it is worth the price difference to keep at 18inches or should -1 on the size to save. btw, i understand that there is a benefit to the 17 for snow purposes, but that isnt a concern in my specific case.

most of my winter will be in southern maryland so not much snow, just a lot of cold days where my OEM's would be dangerous. i like the look of 18's on the car since it rides a bit high and im afraid that 17s will look too small.

here are the two setups im considering:

$1028 shipped and balanced
sport edition E3 machined with anthracite accent
dunlop winter sport m3 215/50/17
[attachmentid=15422]

$1340 shipped and balanced
kazera kz-s silver (these are a tiny bit ornate to me, but i like them overall)
pirelli winter 240 sottozero 225/45/18
[attachmentid=15421]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you dont think theyll look too wimpy in those big wheel wells? i like the 17s also, but i just think i might regret not keeping with 18s for the looks and turn-in performance...especially considering its only ~300 more and most of my winter is spent in southern MD. AHHH i hate decisions!! lol

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think they look good...

[/b]

nice pic...whose car is that? id love to see some from the side. thanks for the help wig

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
damnit, i was hoping seeing that pic would make me not care about the 17's...but it just kinda made me want to stay with the 18's. maybe i can find a nicer style...the ones i picked were cheap and on tirerack.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Well those 17's right there will make the car...

-Faster
-Handle Better
-Brake Faster
-Better gas mileage
-Steering response...

ETC....

·
Registered
595 Posts
Well those 17's right there will make the car...

-Faster
-Handle Better
-Brake Faster
-Better gas mileage
-Steering response...

ETC....
[/b]

not with the winter tires and higher profile tire that will be on these rims.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well on a different site (discount tire) i found a set of 18's with nitto nt-sn1 winters and theyll be balanced and shipped for a few bucks less than the 17s from tirerack.
edit: i just checked over at vwvortex and a bunch of people ran these tires with their r32's and had great results. a couple guys were pulling over .80g's in the dry, which should be enough to keep me out of trouble for the cold months

here is the rim...

[attachmentid=15429]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i guess i can just assume the 3rd set of rims i posted will look ok...theyre so similar to the mazdaspeed rims that are pictured that it should work out well.

[attachmentid=15434]

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
without a doubt i like the look of the 17's better. But my only concern would be filling the wheel well. performance wise, the 17's would be better, because of unsprung weight, but the size would probably be an issue. But hey, they are winter tires, they are supposed to be effective, not cosmetically pretty.lol

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
not with the winter tires and higher profile tire that will be on these rims.
[/b]
How so?? Only explanation could be heavier tires?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How so?? Only explanation could be heavier tires?
[/b]
i think ls1/etc was talking about the performance of 17 snows as compared to the 18 summers whereas im guessing wiggum means the 17 snow will out perform 18 snow. does that sound right?

all this talk about snow has made me extremely excited to get out and do some sweeping 4 wheel drifts, lol

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm getting closer to making a decision, but i was wondering if anyone knew sites other than tirerack or discounttiredirect. id like to search for a couple other packages before deciding. if only i could get the E3's in 18 :(

·
Registered
940 Posts
I'm getting closer to making a decision, but i was wondering if anyone knew sites other than tirerack or discounttiredirect. id like to search for a couple other packages before deciding. if only i could get the E3's in 18 :(
[/b]
some that I was looking at (not sure if they carry yours)
edgeracing.com
wheeldealersdirect.com
wheelmax.com

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
some that I was looking at (not sure if they carry yours)
edgeracing.com
wheeldealersdirect.com
wheelmax.com
[/b]
much obliged...ill check them out tonight

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have yet to see someone put a better looking wheel than stock on a Speed6...

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have yet to see someone put a better looking wheel than stock on a Speed6...
[/b]
i agree...but i just have to do something for winter. if the stockers werent so expensive and low aspect, i would take em on and off, but i dont want to risk tearing them. if i could find a set of speed6 wheels for around 500 i would buy them and put the snows on the second set.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts