Mazda 6 Forums banner
581 - 600 of 605 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
I cross shopped a 2015 Honda Accord Sport manual. I found the Honda seat to be uncomfortable, and I cannot live without split rear folding seats---my son and his pals are hockey players, and the sticks are too long to fit in any trunk. I also found the Honda dash to be less appealing design wise.

The 2015 Mazda 6 Touring manual was just about the same price as Accord, but had a much more comfortable seat, higher quality upolstery throughout, better infotainment interface, better looking dash, 60/40 folding rear seat, and a less grandma-ish exterior design.

· Registered
6 Posts
I looked at and test drove the sonata hybrid and the sport. I was close to going with Hyundai until I went to both Mazda and Hyundai within a few minutes and got to compare both the 6 and sonata. After driving the 6 it was over. Even though the sport I tested had the navi and leather, it just felt cheaper than the 6 sport. Also, I preferred last years Sonata body. The new one looks..older. I'm in my 20s so I didn't want to drive a grandma car :laugh2:. Also, my father, who pretty much was only concerned with back seat comfort, thought the back of the 6 was a lot more comfy than the Sonata. His words "Oh yeah! I can see you driving me to Vegas in this car."

· Registered
44 Posts
In th UK

1. Kia Optima (sadly only a 1.7 diesel 136PS) but loaded leather roof nav 18" alloys xenons and infinity hi-fi
2. Audi A3 S-line again diesel the 150PS 6 speed manual
3. Vauxhall Insignia Elite 170PD diesel (Buick Regal by any other name)

The 6 was by a mile the most attractive and dynamically sharp to drive of them all

· Registered
96 Posts
Before going with the 2015 Mazda 6 i Touring, my wife and I considered and test drive the following;

1. Mini Cooper
2. Toyota Prius
3. Mazda 3

We traded in our '03 Honda Odyssey. And we still own a '12 Toyota Camry Hybrid.

· Registered
42 Posts
I was looking at a 2014 and a 2015 Chevy SS which is the Holden Commodore.
The cars were great but really rather boring on the outside. The Corvette engine is nice but real crappy fuel economy.

Also looked at a 2015 Challenger Scat Pack but the Challengers although a very fun car but like the Chevy SS a bit pricy (Mid 40's)

I then decided to go with something more conservative and good on gas. The muscle cars are fun but not very practical.

I have several friends with Accords and although they are okay I do not want to be just another Accord owner. Also, I really do not like the interiors of them.

I was going to look at a Malibu as well but after driving the 2016 Mazda 6 in Meteor Gray and that black and brown interior I was sold!

· Registered
364 Posts
I was going to look at a Malibu as well but after driving the 2016 Mazda 6 in Meteor Gray and that black and brown interior I was sold!
Malibu is much cheaper than a Mazda 6, $7000 rebates in my area but GM reliability is horrible. I think JD Power surveys are useless as GM rates high in this area, problems appear right after warranty expires.

I too like Charger/Challenger but gas mileage isn't good (even V6 model) and reliability isn't good as I had one, too many suspension problems. Maybe the newer ones are better but not taking the chance.

· Registered
42 Posts
I too like Charger/Challenger but gas mileage isn't good (even V6 model) and reliability isn't good as I had one, too many suspension problems. Maybe the newer ones are better but not taking the chance.
No suspension problems, no major problems to speak of but you want to be out of it before 70k miles.

The Challenger is a big heavy car that rides like a truck.
Here is a video of me and my wife driving from the top of Brass Head Bald Mtn in Georgia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZUnvWzmxR8

Tires were 18" 55's Michelin MXV4 energy, car was too heavy to push it in the turns.

· Registered
364 Posts
No suspension problems, no major problems to speak of but you want to be out of it before 70k miles.

The Challenger is a big heavy car that rides like a truck.
Here is a video of me and my wife driving from the top of Brass Head Bald Mtn in Georgia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZUnvWzmxR8

Tires were 18" 55's Michelin MXV4 energy, car was too heavy to push it in the turns.
Ok, the 300/Magnum/Charger from 2005-2008 had tension struts, inner/outer tie rod ends prematurely wear out. Very common issue and Consumer Reports have solid blacks just like my vehicle was experiencing.
By the time the Challenger came out I guess Chrysler/Fiat fixed the issue.
I believe you as the entire LX line which the LY platform is based wasn't good at handling unless you get the SRT-8 versions. My 15 6 is way better and should be as it's 700 pounds lighter.

That's a nice drive!

· Registered
47 Posts
Mazda was never even on my radar. Sure, I knew of the Miata, but, the rest of the line up was foreign to me. The day before I walked into the dealership and picked out my car, I'd read a Car and Driver article ranking US market Crossovers. The CX-5 and the Ford Escape topped the list.

I honestly had no idea what type of vehicle I wanted to buy. I wasn't sure if I wanted a SUV/CUV, sedan, coupe, wagon, etc. I considered everything. I knew I wanted a BMW convertible, but, I also knew that what I wanted wasn't in my budget. I wanted a Wrangler, but, the fuel economy was the biggest downside. We already have two trucks and I drive 70 miles a day. Whatever I picked was going to be plan C, if not plan D.

When we got to the dealer, I started looking at the CX-5. There was nothing wrong with it, but, I wasn't really interested in it. It checked all the right boxes in terms of need, but, nothing in terms of want. While I was checking out that thing, my wife was looking at the 6 on the show room.

It was a good looking car and the MSRP was reasonable. Then the sales girl told us that they'd take $3000 off the sticker for any 2015 6er on the lot. Boom. Now the price, before our trade in was under $20K.

WE took a 16 out first. I wanted to get a feel for the car without worrying about shifting. I haven't driven a manual, besides a motorcycle, since 2005. I was dead set against getting a manual because of the type of driving that I do. Lots of stop and go traffic.

We ended up finding at least two 6's on the lot that were comparably equipped. One was a 15, the other was a 16. The only difference was the 15 had a manual. All the 15's on the lot had a manual. Because it was a 15, the price was $3000 less. I thought about it and decided that if we went with a Mazda, we would take the manual and save that $3k, but, I wanted to keep looking.

There were two other sedans that I had seriously considered up to that point. One was a Legacy and the other was a Fusion. The Fusion had comparable fuel economy to the 6, but, the Legacy was down by about 10 MPG. Instantly ruled that out and replaced it's spot on my list with an Imprezza. Same fuel economy. Smaller car. AWD.

I test drove the '16 Fusion and it was nice, but, it was boring. It was much like the car that I was getting out of. I don't doubt it would be reliable, but, it wouldn't be enjoyable to drive. I was actually offered a better deal on the Fusion than I was on the 6. I could have picked it up for about $16K before TTL.

I went home and showed my wife the listing for the car. She immediately said no. It was just as boring, if not worse, than my Grand Prix. Then she told me that she'd already applied for financing on the 6er.

I never made it to the Subaru dealer. Really don't want to apply for loans at multiple places so I opted to wait for feedback. The rate was acceptable. The payments worked out as I wanted. I got home from work one day and my new 6 Touring was sitting in my garage.

If, I decide I don't like how the 6 handles the snow, I've got my truck with 4WD that I can drive those days.

· Registered
2014 Sport NAV - Jet Black Diesel MT6
1,005 Posts
I've been driving all over the UK over the last few weeks looking at a handful of Infiniti Q50's. Bit underwhelmed with them after driving a few as I really wanted one.

Looked around at some Mazda 6's with similar spec to the Q50 and ended up buying a Sport NAV last week. It's a lot bigger than the Infiniti and a much more refined drive to say they're both 2.2d.

· Registered
11 Posts
Was dead set on buying a '19 Lexus ES350 F Sport for about 45k, then while I was at the Lexus dealership I spotted a '18 Signature 6 on the used car lot, took it for a drive and fell in love with it after taking the ES out for a spin and then took a trip over to the Mazda dealer where I picked up a new '19 Grand Touring Reserve...saved myself damn near 20 grand that day:p

· Registered
17 Posts
'05 Nissan Altima - Too big!!!
'05 Subaru Legacy - Too much money.

I am glad I got the 6. The Legacy was real damn close but the Altima looked good on paper but one test drive and it's "Nope!"
I was in the market for a replacement for my 92 Nissan maxima. The 1st one i was considering a mazda3 lift back, The used car dealer had sold the mazda3 I was going to look at,(my luck!) they had this 2011 mazda6 3.7l my brother and I test drove it and thats all it took. Couldn't believe the pickup of the 3.7l. It also met the requirements for bsm, and other additional equipment I preferred. We struck a deal and never regretted it. Only negative is v6 doesn't get as good as mpg as I would like but its fun to drive and rock solid reliable

· Registered
4 Posts
I was thinking of getting a Corolla SW hybrid seriously. I was going to use it to drive long distances with family. So one day I went to the dealer, quite liked the car but there was a problem. It was... a bit small for our use case. So I decided to buy a bigger car.

I went over the following models:

Toyota RAV4: It was more significant than the corolla, but I don't like crossovers and SUVs in general and this one was not an exception.

Subaru Outback: Nice utility car. But turned out to be expensive to acquire. And also I was not comfortable with the boxer engine since I could not maintain it when I have to.

Volkswagen Sharan: Beautifull family car. Big and comfortable. However, it is expensive as hell which I don't understand why. I would maybe bare with the acquiring cost of the car but it has another flaw: Being a German car. So there is no doubt that not only it will be maintenance-heavy and therefore expensive but also will be harder to work on because European cars are always twice as complex as Japanese cars.

So I ended up buying the 6. (still yet to be delivered)

Pros
  • The price is quite okay according to what it promises.
  • It is SW and has plenty of space.
  • Luxury interior compared to others within its price range.
  • It does not have complicated big shiny distracting screens which I am not a fan of.
  • Reliable and simple design. Easy to do your own maintenance when you need it.
  • It has enough power. Not a fan of downsizing BS.

Cons
  • No hybrid. I would love to have a hybrid version.
  • FWD. Not really a cons for me, but RWD would have been more fun. (AWD would have been even more fun!)

· Registered
17 Posts
Good Pisf! I was looking at several cars and medium sized SUVs considering a mazda3 hatch , Nissan maxima, Honda according v6.. ....almost by accident I saw an Ad fir the mazda6 I bought it listed all of its options and I covered what I was looking for. I drove it about a block and knew I found my next car. Mine is a 3.7L v6 and I just love it

581 - 600 of 605 Posts