Mazda 6 Forums banner
561 - 580 of 605 Posts

· Premium Member
382 Posts
I was in love with the Dodge Charger R/T, but that wasn't meant to be. Test drove a Passat TDI, but my wife couldn't comfortably reach the pedals. Then got the 6. It wasn't even really on my radar, but really enjoying it now.

Still want a Charger someday, but now that we have a practical car, I'm aiming for an SRT8 :D
Here's what you're missing lol

· Registered
39 Posts
My Mazda is shared between my mom and I, so we both had to agree on what to get. We went to a used car dealership and she had pretty much decided to buy a 2005 Toyota Corolla (with absolutely no options; I'm talking crank-up windows) because it was "good on gas". Thankfully, I convinced my mom to get the 6 instead.

· Registered
40 Posts
I am purchasing a 2015 6 in Oct/Nov. Before deciding, I was looking at hybrid sedans like the Fusion and Accord. But looking at their MPG vs the 6's, it would take almost 10-15 years to make up the $3,000 increase in price through savings at the pump.

But the kicker, was how the 6 looks, drives and it's simple interior. SOLD!

· Registered
1,999 Posts
I wasn't looking for anything, although my miata was getting old and with two small kids around.... Saw the 6 and jumped on the opportunity. Test drove a fusion just to make sure I wasn't off in lala land. Nope, the 6 was instantly familiar to me and I was sold right away.

· Registered
221 Posts
After researching everything i could about the new 2014 Mazda 3 - went to dealer ready to buy - sat in the new Mazda 3 and could not stand the interior.. that floating screen mostly (others love it). Sat in the Mazda 6 they had in the showroom and made the deal that day. Just connected with me. That is a great rare feeling. :D

· Registered
39 Posts
I was looking at 2005/06 Pontiac GTO with the LS2 400HP engine. That car's even more heavier than the MS6. But after test driving a few of them, I found them to be very flawed.

First of all, these cars were initially designed in Australia to have the fuel tank under the rear seats. USA doesn't allow that, so GM relocated it behind the rear seats, taking up HALF of the trunk space, making the rear seats unfoldable.

2nd, interior plastics are extremely easy to break. There's not one GTO I test drove without any broken piece of plastic inside the car.

3rd, you can't heel toe. The gas petal is sooooo much deeper than the brake.

The car is fast though. But much of the 400HP went into hauling the almost 4000lb curb weight.

Went with a 2006 MS6. Can't be happier!

· Registered
582 Posts
Well, my previous car was a 2010 Jetta TDI (which I really did like) that I traded in because after 70k miles the entire A/C system failed and needed to be replaced, a cost to the tune of $2500+.

After days of going back and forth w/ VW corporate and my dealership they came back w/ giving me a $1000 trade in credit (on top of the vehicle trade in price) to purchase a new VW so I temporarily looked at the 2014 Passat TDI. But, knowing that VW seems to think replacing an entire A/C system in one of their cars after 4 years/70,000 miles should be at the expense of their customer (after the dealer said using the A/C when it was working sporadically was no problem, only to find out it DID further complicate things) I told my VW dealer that I just felt that they didn't seem to stand behind their vehicles and what would keep a new one from having other major issues.

Lucky for me there was a Mazda dealership right next door where I discovered the 2014 M6, which was one of the last 14's on the lot so I got a great deal (at the time my wife owned a 2007 Mazda 3 w/ over 200k at the time which she loved, and we recently traded that in and she bought a CX-5) and walked off the lot w/ it that night.

· Registered
250 Posts
Current - 2014 Mazda 6 Silver with MT

came from 2012, 6 sport AT

from a 2010 Mazda cx7, cloth interior but all the other bells and whistles, heated seats, electric drivers seat, sunroof, 4cyl (non turbo) this car had my least favorite Mazda engine

from a 2007 Mazda 6, AT, 4cyl, loaded, this might of the been the car i should have kept a lot longer, GREAT car

from a 2004 Mazda 6, AT, 6 cyl, loaded

2000 Mazda 626 LX, MT 6 cyl @ 170hp man have times changed, car was loaded

1994 Mazda Protege, one of the BEST cars i ever owned, oil, tires, a timing belt and 160 thousand miles is all it ever needed when i traded for the 626

Honda Accord late 80's, MT, no complaints

1982 Mazda 626, MT, base model, air and AM-FM radio,

· Registered
541 Posts
i concidered getting my grandpa's 1998 ford ranger as a beater, had to stick with the 6 :)

· Registered
1 Posts
Was going to save until March for a Mercedes CLA, but internet bargained with 6 dealerships on Sunday until I got a deal I couldn't refuse with $5100 off MSRP. Traded in my red '04 Mercedes C230 and picked up my '15 M6 Grand Touring in Soul Red today. It has the moonroof, auto headlights and windshield wipers I am used to, plus a lot more! The practical side of me is happy, but I would still like the CLA. That can be the next car.

· Registered
2 Posts
I had looked at the Chrysler 200S, the big selling point for me was the 295hp Pentastar V6. However when I looked at it it was just a little disappointing overall. Cheap feeling interior in some places, strange rotary dial shifter, no backup camera (and terrible blind spots). The clincher was when I drove it, good off the line if you stayed in it, very fast. But cruising at 60mph and stepping down the 9 speed gearbox seemed to have a hard time just getting down the lowest ratio and going. That and Chrysler has just TERRIBLE customer service. I work in sales and am actually thinking a start up to teach some of these guys manners and etiquette would net a lot of $$.

I did some more research and looked at the Accord Sport, which was nice but very cookie cutter plain and conservative. Also very expensive for a 4 cylinder car. The Nissan Altima was the same deal, though even more bland. The Fusion and Malibu looked OK but the Ford's button/sensors for the HVAC/stereo are horrible and the Malibu just seemed a consensus decision, no excitement or style.

The first time I drove a 6 I realized why all the car mags love it. Very nimble and agile and what seems to be extremely high quality throughout the machine. The touring model had everything I wanted, backup camera, no CVT (would have liked a manual but wife only drives auto) and a great set of standard options. I ended up buying my brand new 6 and driving it 500 miles right away. All through the trip I knew I made the right choice, especially the seats. Never in my life have I sat in a seat that is comfortable, holds you with the right firmness for sporting driving and seems to be made of very good quality leatherette (I really can't tell the difference between it and leather either, other than maybe the smell).

So now I have my 2015 6 i Touring and love it. Best part is that it has NO sunroof and no options except the Snowflake White Pearl paint. All of this and getting a car that stickered for $25,915 for $21,650 with 2.9APR (getting refi and 1.9 soon!) for 63 months.

I should say my family has owned Mazdas before, a 2010 Speed3 (what an absolute beast, but wouldn't want to own one outside of warranty with all that power and a bit of a fragile gearbox) and a 2004 Speed Miata that my dad still has and absolutely loves.

· Registered
3 Posts
My wife and I were looking at midsize cars. We already have a van and her Kia Rio died.

We were looking at the typical camry/accord/corrolas.

However, the car we were most leaning towards before looking at some Mazdas was a 2005 Nissan Altima 2.5L. It too was a peppy car, more so than the 6. It did ride harder and had a HUGE turning radius..omg...it was really bad due to its big wheelbase.

It was a tough choice between the too, since both the Altima and Mazda6 were similar priced/power/drive/mpg. But the Mazda won out due to the styling of it. Plus I am a big Ford Probe guy so it feels like I am buying a new generation probe...LOL.

· Registered
12 Posts
When I was looking at buying, I didn't really have anything in mind. Basically I just knew what my budget was, and then just looked at anything and everythign that fit my budget. Some of the cars that got on my shortlist were:

- Mazda3
- Mazda6
- Ford Focus ST
- Subaru WRX
- Subaru Forester
- Holden Commodore (Chevy SS for you guys in the states)

and from there narrowed it down to:

- Focus ST
- Holden Commodore
- Mazda6

and eventually chose the Mazda6 becaues im a bit of a mazda fanboy and tech fan. Ended up geting a Mazda6 Touring Sedan in Diesel. The Commodore was a really close second.

The reason i chose the Mazda6 over the others:
- Genuinely premium interior compared to the others
- In my opinion, the BEST styled sedan on the market
- Innovative technology
- Near perfect handling/ride comfort balance
- Diesel engine pulls like a 6 cylinder, uses fuel like a hybrid.
- And i managed to get a really good deal.

It's a pity that the USA doesn't have the diesel engine yet, because it really is a gem of an engine.

561 - 580 of 605 Posts