Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 605 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey hey...Just like the Title says....

Mine was the Toyota Matrix.....I loved it! My Father and I test drove it, (and very surprized, my father loved it also)

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
The 3. It was so incredibly uncomfortable that I took the 6 for a spin and loved it.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Used Saab 9-3 Viggen 3 door and BMW Z3 Coupe (I didn't fit) was something I looked at. i decided to move to something newer with fewer miles and slightly more practical. My previous DD was a nearly bulletproof '90 Saab turbo. I miss that little beast.[/b]
Nice!!....Yeah, I was a bit "wishy-washy" about other cars!

VW Beetle <------Terrible when I tested this POS

Ford Mustang

Toyota Camry

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mazda Rx-8
Lexus IS300 used

Ended up with the 6 and still don't regret it.
Although I test drove both and still love much more the Rx-8 because it's fun to drive.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
I was pretty much set on a celica gt-s until I found out that they were being discontinued. It was then the 6s sedan but I saw the hatch and fell in love :)

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Honda Accord older style with NSX tail lights - but the V6 didnt come in a manual...
A tiburon - something about wheels falling off persuaded me not to
RSX Type-S - Too noisy - bad transmissions supposedly (6 speed) at the time
Celica GT-S - didn't like the feel or the power it had
Maxima SE V6 6 Speed, great power and acceleration, ugly ugly ugly styling at the time, i was looking at 2003s.

The 6 was out of the price range at a first glance but once i test drove it i had to have it so I spent a month tracking and haggling until i got it for what I would have paid for the other cars :)

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was pretty much set on a celica gt-s until I found out that they were being discontinued. It was then the 6s sedan but I saw the hatch and fell in love :)[/b]
Whoops! I Forgot about the Celica!! :hoho: ....But I just wanted the GT

·
Registered
160 Posts
1999 323i... Actually bought it for a couple months and decided that it's the worst imaginable car in snow. And since I live in Wisconsin, that was a boneheaded move. But, it was the most fun I've had driving a car and Beemers will always be my favorite cars. I'll get another one day..just an xi

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I was pretty much a Honda person until the 3 and 6 came out. I research cars in excess when car shopping, so I pretty much find out what I want before even test driving. I mean I do the whole excel spreadsheet, pros and cons, dimensions, track numbers, reliability reports, forum research, pricing, distance to dealer, cost of ownership, etc.

After I bought my 3 in 2004, my list of cars that I was going to choose my next one from were:
Mazdaspeed3 GT
Mazdaspeed6 T or GT
Mazda3s GT
Mazda6s GT
CX-7 GT
2007 Audi A3 with DSG
2007 VW GTI 4-door with DSG
2007 Nissan Altima V6 SE

Yes, I know almost all of them are hatches. I have an affinity towards hatches. All but one of the cars I have owned have been hatches and they have always comes in handy for me.

I know it was a long list but if you break it down to certain categories it is really quite short. If the wife was to let me get a stick, hands down it would be narrowed to the speed3 or speed6. But since I couldn't get a stick, those were knocked off the list.

The Nissan was too new and too hard to find a V6 model, let alone in the configuration I wanted. Audi A3 was too expensive the way I wanted it packaged. So those two were out.

Wife wanted me to buy a truck, I hate trucks. I was willing to compromise by getting an CUV/SUV, she doesn't like SUVs. So the CX-7 was out.

So now I am narrowed down to 3 cars: the 3, the 6, and the GTI. I was really close on getting the GTI but a few things came up that kept me from getting it. First was having a hard time finding a decently equipped GTI with DSG in the color I wanted. It was very hard. Either the dealerships didn't have them or they wouldn't post them online. And the ones I did see were either bare bones, in a color I didn't want, and marked up more than it should be. Second is the dismal trunk space. Sorry, even though my 3 5-door has decent trunk space I also wanted my car to have a useable trunk. Third, the wife didn't like the way it looked (how does she always manage to have a say in it?!?). So the GTI was out. Shame too, because I was going to chip the sucker after I broke it in for $500 giving it whp and tq close to a MS6 crank power.

So where are we? Yes, the 3 and the 6. I love my 2004 3, so much so I wouldn't mind owning another. I took a fully loaded 3s GT 5-door for a spin and enjoyed it, liked that the atx was 5-spd vs my 4spd auto. Wife liked it too except for the folded leather look on the door panels, drove her nuts. Also, it still bothered me how much the front console comes into the drivers side, having my leg frequently rub up against it when on the gas. Otherwise great. Then we took the '07 6s GT 5-door(all but Nav) for a test spin and I fell in love with it. I liked that the auto was 6-spd, smooth, engine had noticiably more getup than the 2.3, had a great sound. It also had tons more trunk space and improved interior room. Few things I didn't care for much in the 6 versus the 3 but weren't huge deal breakers were the wider turning radius, I liked the 3's instrument panel better, and even though the 6's interior is nice and a step up from previous years some parts here and there seemed better quality in the fit/finish/feel depart on the 3. It also helped the 6 in regards to the price I got it for and that their are more mods available for the 6 V6 than the 3.

So here I am now, 8500 miles later (and a few mods) on my '07 6s GT. Do I feel I made the wrong decision? No. If I had to choose again, would I get the same car? Yes, unless the wife changed her mind on a stick then I would be in a speed6. That's my story!
:seeya:
Paul

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
'05 Nissan Altima - Too big!!!
'05 Subaru Legacy - Too much money.

I am glad I got the 6. The Legacy was real damn close but the Altima looked good on paper but one test drive and it's "Nope!"

·
Registered
308 Posts
I was gonna get a SRT-4, I went for a test drive with my friend and we both fell in love with it, then we found out how much the insurance would be and also saw a couple of pics of some crashed ones and that shocked us. Also we found out on the web that some drivers were having trouble finding parts for it because they stopped making it in 2005. Then he bought a fairlady and i got my 6 :p

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I originally went to the dealer looking for the 3s 5-door in Sept '06, but the '06s were sold out with a manual trans. Always liked the 6, and with the rebates going on at the time and budget concerns, I got my redfire 6i. It may not be quite as versatile as the 3 hatch, but I got more car for less money, and I absolutely love driving it. And with the money I saved, i can afford a few upgrades!

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
07 accord coupe V6 (a little too expensive and didn't want the V4)
07 scion tc (too..how do i describe it..you know what i mean)
07 civic coupe (156hp? no thanks when i can get a mazda V6 for around the same)

VERY happy with the 6 so far.

·
Registered
436 Posts
i was going to get a 06 mazda 3s sedan in blue but the dealer didnt have one and so i told them i would wait for the speed 3. But then they called me and said they had a 6 i should come look at.. and now i have it. Definitly better than the focus i traded in! lol

next car will probably be a speed 6 or 3...wonder how long i can wait haha

1 - 20 of 605 Posts