Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What two guages is he using next to each other? I see the left is the VEI boost guage but then what is the right one cause it never goes below 14 psi and goes up to 20 I am totally confused on what is going on.haha
Also explain to me the boost gauge shows ur turbo psi and when you use it it goes into a vacuum? Then as you drive the pressure goes back up? Yes I am pretty new to all this but that is why i joined here to get informed and learn. Thanks link is below

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7454954656776588092

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
The other gauge is an Air Fuel Ratio gauge.

Turbos only produce power when the throttle is open and exhaust gases are spinning the turbine. When you let off the gas the manifold goes into its natural state of vacuum. Manifold pressure stays in a state of vacuum until the turbo spools up, at that point the compressor starts to build manifold pressure, known as boost.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yep, a wideband air-fuel ratio gauge. The units are not PSI, but a ratio -- 14.0 means "14.0:1 AFR" which is 14.0 air to 1 fuel.

Also on the boost gauge, remember that 0 means zero relative to regular air pressure (ambient pressure). Vacuum means that amount of pressure LESS THAN ambient, so it's actually negative. Boost means the amount of pressure ABOVE ambient.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the help.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
The AFR guage looks like it's got a pretty slow responce time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts