Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally have alittle money to burn but i dont have enough money to buy the exhaust and dp. If you have enough for just one of the above. What would you buy first and why? Just trying to see what would be the best thing to go first. I will eventually have both though.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I finally have alittle money to burn but i dont have enough money to buy the exhaust and dp. If you have enough for just one of the above. What would you buy first and why? Just trying to see what would be the best thing to go first. I will eventually have both though.
[/b]
Downpipe. Just cuz the dynos on it are BIG gains. Lotsa bang for the buck.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Downpipe-- IF IT EVER COMES OUT!

·
Registered
982 Posts
I know what you are saying makes sense to me and most members, but if you were interested to know, the downpipe is part of the exhaust. Anything from the exhuast manifold BACK is part of the exhaust (including the turbo and downpipe). The exhaust you are referring to is technically the cat-back portion.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I like what my exhaust has done for me...

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Frankly, I would go with the exhaust first to make sure you are happy with the increased noise output.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
LED valve stem caps!

J/K

DP would be my choice, good gains, should not be too loud, gains across the board should be solid as well, and it is the harder of the 2 instal wise. With any luck you will ruin your stock exhaust on "accident" and be forced into a Cat Back....

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LED valve stem caps!

J/K

DP would be my choice, good gains, should not be too loud, gains across the board should be solid as well, and it is the harder of the 2 instal wise. With any luck you will ruin your stock exhaust on "accident" and be forced into a Cat Back....
[/b]
:laugh:
Yeah man, I just got back from my first dyno session today and got 224hp and 269ft.lbs of torque. Not that bad but I was expecting more HP. I talked to the guy there and he said to definitely go with the downpipe first. Im just trying to figure out if I should go catless downpipe or catted downpipe. Will you fail emissions in GA from the off-road dp. Because if I could pass emissions and not throw a cel, then I think that i would go with the off-road dp.

·
Registered
201 Posts
My own opinion... I would wait until you have the money to do both. It would certainly save time on the install side of things.

On the other hand... A bunch of us here (myself included) would love to hear impressions of just the DP without the exhaust. CPE definately makes some pretty high claims. I want to hear someone elses first hand impression.

·
Registered
744 Posts
im suprised im the only one to say this. go cat back first. i know the dp more bang for buck and such. but hes gonna want the catted version cause of emissons. so heres my reason, remember when cpe put out there exaust for the 6s. it had problems with the cat goin bad. Id wait a few months to buy the catted version just to let it get miles on it on a few cars to see if it will last. just my 2 cents. im certainly buyin the dp in time. gonna be a great buy.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
im suprised im the only one to say this. go cat back first. i know the dp more bang for buck and such. but hes gonna want the catted version cause of emissons. so heres my reason, remember when cpe put out there exaust for the 6s. it had problems with the cat goin bad. Id wait a few months to buy the catted version just to let it get miles on it on a few cars to see if it will last. just my 2 cents. im certainly buyin the dp in time. gonna be a great buy.
[/b]
I think that I way go that route just because Im getting alittle annoyed about having no exhaust note. But, im wondering about the downpipe. If I was to get the catless dp, would that mean I would fail emissions for sure, or does nobody no for sure yet?

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
catless is pretty much an automatic fail. wont pass visual, sniffer, or CEL test. you'll have to swap out the dp when u do a smog.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
catless is pretty much an automatic fail. wont pass visual, sniffer, or CEL test. you'll have to swap out the dp when u do a smog.
[/b]
never mind, I definitely wouldnt want one then. Ill just get the catted dp. I just read a article in a magazine and believe it or not, the metalic core cat performed better than no cat at all. That was on a N/A car, not a turbo

1 - 16 of 16 Posts