Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Update: did end up getting screw removed and it was patched (they were Falken ZIEX ZE001 A/S tires). I do have a long 8 hour trip coming up soon and am kinda nervous about the patch, given it was a screw and not a nail.

Hopefully, I am ok but have you guys dealt with Mazda roadside assistance before? Which is better to call .. insurance (Geico in my case) or Mazda roadside assistance for something like a flat? What if I am very far from destination and need a new tire? How would I go about getting a matching tire in an emergency situation. Just preparing myself for the trip :/

·
Registered
17 Posts
When they did the tire repair, did they just do a patch or use a plug from the inside and then the patch? The plug/patch should be a permanent fix and not have a tendency to leak. If they did the “shove a tarry rag into the hole” patch, they tend to fail.
If you’re in the middle of nowhere and need assistance, either call will likely get routed to a same place. 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other. (I didn’t know Geico had roadside assistance.).
On getting a replacement tire; tire shops work through a distributor network and can get pretty much anything quickly. Depending how far away from civilization you are, quickly can vary.
Seems like to like to worry...

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
If the tire was dismounted and patched from inside (the proper way to do it) then I would have no fear at all about the patch not holding; it'll be fine.

I've plugged a number of tires, however, from the outside over the years. Once you do that no shop will touch it, so that's a "I need it now" or a "tire is worn to the point that I don't really care" situation in that any further issues where you actually need to go to a tire shop means you're buying another one. None of THOSE has ever failed over ~30+ years EITHER, however.

Drive onward; it's fine.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The Mazda6's tires are unusual in that they have the width the of a family sedan(225) but have the wheel size and profile of a luxury car(45/R19s), so if you need a complete replacement, more than likely you would have to wait overnight for a local tire place to order the tires from a warehouse. Learned the hard way from personal experience, as a metal rod went through the side wall and destroyed the tire so no repair option for me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was patched from inside - no plug or combination patch/plug. Small place but it had good reviews. The guy told me screws tend to cause more damage and if it were to continue to leak or go flat, just to replace the tire - might have been general advice.

I wouldn't care as much if I didn't have this 8 hour drive coming up in 2 days. The car is <1 year old with <5k miles. Tbh I did drive around for the last couple of months with this problem - and chalked it up to weather... and would just refill the tire when pressure sensor went off (usually it would drop to around 25 psi of so). Other tires would drop a little alternatively but recently it became clear it was this specific tire that was the problem. I just don't want to have a blowout on the highway driving 70.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You’ll be fine. I’ve had many screws removed. Usually they screw them out even. Haha

Also, plugging a tire is not necessarily a bad thing if done by someone who knows what they are doing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you must drive on a repaired tyre, fit it to a rear wheel.

A front tyre blow out can be much more difficult to control than a rear wheel one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts