Mazda 6 Forums banner

161 - 180 of 564 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Winter is around the corner ! You'll need GREAT ARCTIC proven tyres (tire I know) You wanna what's best out there ; then this is for you !! Bought these babies (Nokian WR) last year and they are awesome , so much better handling than my O.E. Michelin Pilots ! That I can't wait for winter again !!!
BTW I use these Nokians (pics below) only in winter with the OEM Silver Mags ; as I have my stock Michelins on my Chromed-dipped OEM mags

These were so tight that it required 110 , 110 , 120 , 110 lbs of pressure to pop them on the mags ; the sidewall was so stiff , and it shows on lateral handling compared to regular (soft-side-walled) winter tires that make you feel like you're riding on baloons like the new Yokohama Ice Guard IG10 I used to own on my old Acura Integra ! Was scary changing lanes ; felt like I was going to fishtail , they were so soft as with most winter tires .

They have so many advantages , one of them being :
• Only four-season family of tires that carries the Severe Service Emblem exceeding new government snow condition regulations

with a threadwear of 400 (won't get a threadwear reading on winter tires) they will last forever !!!
, read all about it here you owe it to yourselves ! :
http://www.nokiantyre.com/newsite/tires_popup.cfm?id=6
http://www.nokiantyre.com/newsite/intro.html

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
So what would i be looking at price wise for a set of stock M6 wheels with some good snow tires?
[/b]

Call your dealer to get the most expensive quote and then go hunting maybe for used ones in the for sale section , as for tires same applies .. many sites have discounts too

Here in Canada the dealer sells them 325 CDN a piece for the mags . My Nokians at some tire shop cost me 980 full serviced & tx incl.

·
Administrator
8,401 Posts
So what would i be looking at price wise for a set of stock M6 wheels with some good snow tires?
[/b]
I bought 16" steelies with Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2 tires for about $600 at Tirerack.com, although that was two years ago. I'd stick with 16" wheels and 205/60-16 tires. Not only are they MUCH less expensive than 17" wheels/tires, but they're also slightly narrower with a thicker sidewall than the OEM 17" tires, both advantages in the snow.

·
Registered
112 Posts
[/b]
Hi, per Mz6greyghost, between $600-$800. If possible locate a set of OEM 16" steel rims and go with the 205/60-16 size. From time to time folks here will sell their steelies for $25-$35/each. TireRack may have some as well, though priced higher. Junkyards are another possibility. Since you're in Cleveland check Consumer Tire and see what kind of deal you can get on 4 Nokians (WRs or RSIs - both are studless). They were very price competitive when I bought from them.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I bought 16" steelies with Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2 tires for about $600 at Tirerack.com, although that was two years ago. I'd stick with 16" wheels and 205/60-16 tires. Not only are they MUCH less expensive than 17" wheels/tires, but they're also slightly narrower with a thicker sidewall than the OEM 17" tires, both advantages in the snow.[/b]
everyone says that and that's where their thinking stops ...... well I went a bit further and thought about 'contact patch %' .... 'cause when on the ice , after the plough has passed (as in 90% city conditions) this is where you want ALL the contact you can get to STOP ! :yesnod:
A mere extra 10 mm (1 cm) will still dig no problem in the snow ....
.... thicker sidewall on most winter tires that sport 16in. will feel soft on lateral change of lanes and you'll feel like you're about to fishtail as it gives more flex and that's ennerving enough to make you counteract into worse shit (at least until you get used to it-but I continued hating the insecure feeling) .
If you still have your O.E. silver 17's use them for winter (look better than steelies) and next year buy your favourite mags/tires with your tax return ;)

Want the best handling stiff walled /no compromise winter thread in a world first 4season tire that holds the SEVERE WINTER CONDITIONS government label ..... look no further than the Nokian WR ..... trust me you'll thank me !!!
Now go back to the previous page again and reread my post with links/pics & after that and Skibum's comments above ; see this other member's testimonial on them http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?s=&a...st&p=784544

·
Registered
459 Posts
Just purchased some Goodyear Assurance TripleTred's for my 16" stockers. Tires sizes is 215 55R16 a little wider for the 16x6 rim. They look fine Drives like im on rails in the rain, and they are nice for dry as well. hopefully the snow will be about the same. :)

·
Registered
898 Posts
Just purchased some Goodyear Assurance TripleTred's for my 16" stockers. Tires sizes is 215 55R16 a little wider for the 16x6 rim. They look fine Drives like im on rails in the rain, and they are nice for dry as well. hopefully the snow will be about the same. :)
[/b]
Isn't that a little too big? Had that size on my car in the form of Dunlop 9000 (which aren't awefully good tires to begin with) and the car handled aukwardly and lost acceleration.

Shady

·
Registered
459 Posts
Isn't that a little too big? Had that size on my car in the form of Dunlop 9000 (which aren't awefully good tires to begin with) and the car handled aukwardly and lost acceleration.

Shady
[/b]
nah, they're just a little wider by about 10mm. They are a hair smaller in diameter, but its hardly noticable.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Toyos on my 19's.

S

·
0 Posts
Hankook K106 on stock 17". Wicked tread pattern. Pretty good if you don't push them too hard. comparible to michelins, but a little less overall. If cost is an issue, they are pretty good. will probably only get about 20k out of them, though.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Hankook K106 on stock 17". Wicked tread pattern. Pretty good if you don't push them too hard. comparible to michelins, but a little less overall. If cost is an issue, they are pretty good. will probably only get about 20k out of them, though.
[/b]

I was about to get those...but eh, changed my mind, the name is just a little off.

·
Registered
319 Posts
BFGoodrich T/A KDW2 235/40/18 on my Mazdaspeed 6. Great performance tire for the money ($150). Similar stick to the Falken Azenis Sport, with better heat characteritics, and much better on wet surfaces.

Kuhmo and Hoosier are my tires of choice for competitive events. ...Toyo guy let me know when Toyo decides to make a sticky DOT R slick tire for autocross.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Avon Tech M550 A/S on stock 17's. I've only had them a week or so but the dry traction is light years better than the stock shitelins, they are more comfortable, and are far more stable in turns. Wet weather performance is also much better than stock

161 - 180 of 564 Posts