Mazda 6 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 564 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Originally posted by AzMz6@Oct 12 2005, 02:54 AM
TOYO PROXES 4 for the win!! :)
[snapback]530717[/snapback]​
I have been really impressed with Sumitomo HTRZ II 225/40x18 quiet, and wear well...great in the wet. In fact I had these for 25000kms on a Honda Accord Euro (Your TSX) and they were only worn about on third.

Any Mazda3 drivers should really consider ditching those noisy and very average RE040s. I put the Honda's 18" wheels with the Sumitomos and they just tranformed my 2004 Mazda3 SP23. My new ride, a 2006 Mazda6 Luxury Hatch is fitted with the Sumitomos..it is so quiet! daridari

Attachments

·
Registered
415 Posts
I got Toyo Proxes 4 up until last week when I got a set of Hankook WS300 with them snow flake and bear pawn symbols molded on the side walls. I loved the Toyos. I had them on thru last winter and they were manageable in the snow. The WS300 is very quiet. Quieter than the Proxes. I have not had a chance to see how the WS300s handle in the snow yet since mother nature isn't cooperating. Dry and well handling on the WS300 is way better than the stock michelins.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Is it just me or is the poll broken? I can't see the results anymore...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Toyo Proxes TPTs. Love 'em. And yah, there's no results anymore to this poll :(

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Nope. :( I will make another one. And add all the tires to the list.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I agree with Stretch's original post.... this thread is useless. Based on peoples reviews, all tire brands make GOOD and BAD tires IMO. You should also say what MODEL tire you have, not just the brand. Its gives a better idea.

If I say I have Yokohamas and they wear crappy..... does that mean summer tires? All seasons? What model?

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
All tire brands make GOOD and BAD tires IMO.[/b]

I respectfully disagree.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
You would :p
[/b]
I'm not specifically referencing Toyo here. I disagree with the statement that all manufacturers make good and bad tires. That's a pretty broad statement and it's not true. Plus, define "bad" in this regard. Are we talking about tires that have failed due to some manufacturing defect? In that case, then all manufacturers can be included for all of the lines they make. But the adjustment rate average for the industry is less than 1/10th of 1%. So, just because a manufacturer has a few tires that didn't hold up for some reason, is it reasonable to call the whole line bad? Every car manufacturer has cars that have defects or problems. Are they ALL bad, or is that a normal and reasonable expectation in manufacturing?

Or is the definition of bad more to do with the way the tire performs? A lot of people don't like the stock Michelins because of their performance in the snow or because they are not aggressive enough. That doesn't make it a bad tire. The tire does well what it was designed to do and that is deliver a smooth, quiet ride, reasonable grip for most conditions and gives good tread life. I don't think I've seen a post yet about these tires separating. If a tire does not meet your expectations of performance, then I wouldn't say it's a "bad" tire, perhaps it's a misapplication.

My definition of a "bad" tire is a line that does not live up to its intended application, or a tire that has a high rate of adjustment. This is a rare occurence, given the amount of research and testing done before a tire ever hits the market and the amount of specialized testing equipment all the major manufacturers employ. Very few manufacturers, especially the majors, IMO, have truly "bad" tires anymore.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I'm not specifically referencing Toyo here. I disagree with the statement that all manufacturers make good and bad tires. That's a pretty broad statement and it's not true. Plus, define "bad" in this regard. Are we talking about tires that have failed due to some manufacturing defect? In that case, then all manufacturers can be included for all of the lines they make. But the adjustment rate average for the industry is less than 1/10th of 1%. So, just because a manufacturer has a few tires that didn't hold up for some reason, is it reasonable to call the whole line bad? Every car manufacturer has cars that have defects or problems. Are they ALL bad, or is that a normal and reasonable expectation in manufacturing?

Or is the definition of bad more to do with the way the tire performs? A lot of people don't like the stock Michelins because of their performance in the snow or because they are not aggressive enough. That doesn't make it a bad tire. The tire does well what it was designed to do and that is deliver a smooth, quiet ride, reasonable grip for most conditions and gives good tread life. I don't think I've seen a post yet about these tires separating. If a tire does not meet your expectations of performance, then I wouldn't say it's a "bad" tire, perhaps it's a misapplication.

My definition of a "bad" tire is a line that does not live up to its intended application, or a tire that has a high rate of adjustment. This is a rare occurence, given the amount of research and testing done before a tire ever hits the market and the amount of specialized testing equipment all the major manufacturers employ. Very few manufacturers, especially the majors, IMO, have truly "bad" tires anymore.
[/b]
Let me clarify my original statement as I dont think I went into enough detail of what I meant. I was referring to peoples posts about tires. Guy A might come in and say I have Yokohamas, they are crappy tires. Well he doesnt tell you WHAT tire he is running. He might be running an ES max performance summer tire in Michigan in December..... so to him, the tires are bad. Guy B might come in and say he is running Michelin Pilot's and he thinks they are a great all-season tire. However we dont know if he is running Pilot A/S or the Pilot HXMX or whatever we have on our cars. Guy C might come in and say I have Kumho's and they were horrible and they wore bald on me after 35,000 miles compared to my Bridgestones. Well, since he didnt post what model he was using, they might have been designed to be a very soft and comfortable tire with no road noise that wasnt designed as a high mileage tire. His Bridgestones might have been a hard tire designed for 60,000 miles.

I was referring to the usefullness of this thread and people telling you that their tires are good or bad. As you already know, having a reviewer say a tire is good or bad greatly depends on not the tire brand, but on the tire model and if it is being used properly for how it was designed to be used.

Therefore based on PEOPLES reviews, all tire companies make "good" and "bad" tires but that doesnt necessarily mean the actual tires are good or bad. Like you said before, every person has different expectations when it comes to tires.

I hope that clarifies up my post..... I thought it was clear what I meant but you might have taken what I said differently......

I added "based on peoples reviews" to clear up what I was trying to get at.......

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Excellent! Thank you for the clarification, as it more clearly states what you mean! :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
My definition of a "bad" tire is a line that does not live up to its intended application, or a tire that has a high rate of adjustment.
[/b]
I would certainly say our stock 17" Michelins qualify as a bad tire under this definition. They are absolutely wretched at everything except holding air. The first zero season radial tire.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I would certainly say our stock 17" Michelins qualify as a bad tire under this definition. They are absolutely wretched at everything except holding air. The first zero season radial tire.
[/b]
Agreed.

Stock Michelin Pilot HX
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...l=Pilot+HX+MXM4

Worst....tire....ever.

However Michelin Pilot Sport A/S
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...lot+Sport+A%2FS

One of the "better" all-season tires.

Both tires made by Michelin... both called Michelin Pilot.....different models.....Just another reason why people should actually post what MODEL they have. :yesnod:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Well, the other day I got a flat tire and decided, "What a great opportunity to upgrade". After a little research on 6club and some googling, I got a set of Toyo Proxes4 225/45Z. I have the stock 17" rims on my '04 Hatch.

The difference between the Proxes4 and OE Michelins (with 27K on them) is like night and day. These Proxes4s rock. :drive:

·
Registered
541 Posts
I've got Toyo T1-S's on my stock 17's with 225/45/17 size for the summer and Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 snow tires on Mazda 3 16" wheels for the winter.

I would recommend both.

61 - 80 of 564 Posts
About this Discussion
563 Replies
369 Participants
b1lk1
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing