Mazda 6 Forums banner
441 - 460 of 564 Posts
QUOTE (6zoomzoom @ Jul 1 2009, 12:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1578932
Alright guys I made it over here to Germany and was informed that during winter here is more icy than snowy... I've got stock 18's (mazda 6S) and in need of probably a good all season tire. They do checks here on base when it gets to that time when ice become a problem and then give you a 70 (euro) fine and then revoke your driving privileges until the discrepancy is fixed. So for those people who live in the icy winter states what are your opinions? I am originally from southern California so I am not used to this all season tire stuff. Any advice would be great...[/b]
You probably will find that there is no all season tire made that will satisfy the German requirements for winter traction devices. In Japan, also, all season tires are not legal in winter, and all season tires are not acceptable traction devices for travel over mountain passes in winter here in Oregon. "All season" means that a tire is equally inadequate on dry roads and on snowy roads, and hopelessly incompetent on wet roads. Get yourself some Nokians for the winter months in Germany.

2009 Mazda 6 JDM. Delivered tonight.
OE tires: Dunlop SP Sport 2050, 225/45R18 91W.
Switched to Sumitomo HTR Z II in the more realistic size of 225/60R16 98W. (Yes, I actually minus-sized the wheels and plus-sized the tires. Sue me :D)

QUOTE (Six-wheeler @ Jul 4 2009, 10:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1579890
OE tires: Dunlop SP Sport 2050, 225/45R18 91W.[/b]
lol..I just put on a set of Dunlop SP Sport Signatures 225/40R18 92W the other day. $108 a piece from TireRack.

Previously has Toyo Proxes 4, but I backed up into a very sharp curb at my friends house. I had a very narrow space to back up out of his driveway. I can't believe the curb puncture the sidewall as I backing up ever so slowly. Whatever...Under $500 w/shipping I might as well get a new set instead of under $400 for 2 new Toyos.

Kumho's what??! Is that like... a temporary spare or something??

2009 JDM Mazda 6 2.5 MTX.
Hankook Ventus V12 Evo (K110).
225/45ZR18 95Y.
Not much grip when I first had them mounted on Sunday night. I set off for a 900-mile trip from Jeddah, Saudi Arabia to Amman, Jordan next morning, and after about 600 miles they really started coming into their own. Grip, precision and response and self-centering are all phenomenal. Absolutely the best value for money.

QUOTE (6zoomzoom @ Jul 1 2009, 03:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1578932
Alright guys I made it over here to Germany and was informed that during winter here is more icy than snowy... I've got stock 18's (mazda 6S) and in need of probably a good all season tire. They do checks here on base when it gets to that time when ice become a problem and then give you a 70 (euro) fine and then revoke your driving privileges until the discrepancy is fixed. So for those people who live in the icy winter states what are your opinions? I am originally from southern California so I am not used to this all season tire stuff. Any advice would be great...[/b]
Sounds like a set of spare rims and winter tires. No all-season is going to be good on ice. If you drive in remote areas, or drive every day even on the worst 3 or 4 days of the year then get studs. They're noisy, annoying and reduce traction on bare pavement but the good ones - Nokian square carbide studs - are amazing on ice, like cat claws. Look out behind you, as people without studs, chains or cables can't stop like you will with studs. Nokian is also a good bet for winter tires, the company is in Sweden.
Many people simply leave the car, take the train, take a day off when the roads are iced over but if you're going to drive over solid ice, not just a few ice patches a few times a year they are the ticket.

Personally I'd take an old crappy 2nd car or the train on days like that.

Been hunting around a couple tire websites, and figured I would search here as well. I do a fair amount of short highway trips to work, friends, etc. Not really into aggressive-style driving anymore, but still like a hairpin turn if I can find one :) Anyways, I'm searching for the best tire for my habits:

Live in south FL, so no winter tires needed period, but rain performance is needed
Stock 17'' rims
Not lowered

I was thinking grand touring tires, but I've read one or two posts that mention sacrificing performance/handling for smooth/straight ride. Is that true?

QUOTE (Spacefox1138 @ Aug 19 2009, 09:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1593439
Just put a set of General Altimax HP's on my 04 Mazda 6 Wagon and so far I'm really pleased. Haven't driven them in the rain yet, but they are quiet and feel great on dry road.[/b]
I also live in S. FL, and I'm thinking of trying those when my Mich are done with. The summer tires seem to be a good choice for this climate.

QUOTE (jzoom6 @ Sep 11 2009, 11:10 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1600064
Live in south FL, so no winter tires needed period, but rain performance is needed

I was thinking grand touring tires, but I've read one or two posts that mention sacrificing performance/handling for smooth/straight ride. Is that true?[/b]
Grand touring is not a category of the Rubber Manufacturers Association, but retailers use it as a term for their low-end all-season tires. All-season tires, whether low-end or high-end, have a tread compound modified so that the tread does not readily shed water; that modification is made for the purpose of allowing snow to stick to the tire, but has the inevitable side effect of reducing traction on wet pavement; on wet pavement, you want the tire to shed water as fast and as thoroughly as possible.

Get Hankook Ventus V12 evo tires; they are cheap and very good.

Just checked out the price for my stock 17'' wheels, at $91 a tire, that isn't a bad price at all. It rarely gets anywhere close to freezing here, so no worries about snow/winter performance. They seem to rate well with hydroplaning resistance as well as cornering and ride comfort too. How would you rate them on noise level? I tend to drive on the highway, so a deafening roar is out of the question. I know the 6 isn't exactly the most sound-proofed car, but just wondering anyways.

Thanks for the tip!

[Hankook Ventus V12 evo]

QUOTE (jzoom6 @ Sep 15 2009, 08:26 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1601022
Just checked out the price for my stock 17'' wheels, at $91 a tire, that isn't a bad price at all.[/b]
We purchased a pair ourselves from tires-easy dot com, and paid $85/each for the 215/50R17 size.

QUOTE (jzoom6 @ Sep 15 2009, 08:26 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1601022
It rarely gets anywhere close to freezing here, so no worries about snow/winter performance. They seem to rate well with hydroplaning resistance as well as cornering and ride comfort too. How would you rate them on noise level? I tend to drive on the highway, so a deafening roar is out of the question.[/b]
The objective noise data may be found at page 4 of the .pdf version (Autobild_14032008.pdf) of this 2008 comparative tire test by the German enthusiast magazine Autobild. (The results are under the heading "Vorbeifahrgeräusch.")

There is also a separate thread about that model tire in the First Generation Wheels/Tires subforum.

I haven't posted here in a while but I'm still happily driving my 6 after three years of ownership. At 65,000 miles now, my original 17/215/50 Michelin Pilot Sport tires have been gone for over 20,000 miles now. I endured a period of time being broke and making do with random used tires. Recently, my dad fortunately came across a totaled, brand-new 2010 Ford Fusion that arrived at his garage which had frame damage (although the car didn't appear terribly damaged at all) and its fate was the auction block. I managed to get four practically brand-new 17/225/50 Michelin Pilot Sport tires from the car in exchange for my existing tires since the car was going to be scrapped anyway and it was very convenient that the wheel sizes were exactly the same (the chassis of the Fusion/Milan/MKZ is identical to the 6 anyway). My car feels like a new car again and the tires are amazing on dry roads as well as inclement weather. Compared to the stock 17/215/50 tires with which my car was originally equipped, these are much better. They've got a bit more meat to them, and, performance-wise as well as in their appearance, they seem like a stronger compound. If they're the same exact compound, I'm fooled, but, they definitely beat what the car came with in 2006. The old ones seemed to be very soft and fragile.

441 - 460 of 564 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.