Mazda 6 Forums banner

321 - 340 of 564 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Yes stock rims.[/b]
Dude, that's kinda out of spec and possibly dangerous!

·
Registered
802 Posts
Dude, that's kinda out of spec and possibly dangerous![/b]

10,xxx of hard driving and nothing yet. This is my second set of the same size tires. First was a set of Nitto 555 235 & 245.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Take no offense, 6GT: you might have the extra traction for straight line performance(and that's fine), but I sure as hell would be afraid of wanting to toss your car hard in the corners with those tires on stock rims. I wouldn't be surprised if you would actually get better corning performance on a thinner tire (as well as a little better MPG). And you've probably read Tire Guy's post as well as the others, wider tires doesn't necessarily mean better performance if they are not on the right rim widths.

I, myself, just recently had to replace my tires. I wanted to put 225s on, but was concerned about a loss in cornering performance since the stock rim width is only 7" (not ideal for 225s but good for 215s). Since there are very few stock size options available (215/45/18), I went ahead and stuck with the Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S 93W. I was hoping to get more mileage out of the stockers (gone at 24,000 due to my fault of infrequent rotation and balancing +hard driving) so as to replace my rims and tires at the same time. But alas, that did not happen.

Maybe next year I'll get new rims (I want the Mazdaspeed 17lb 18"x7.5" forged wheels), especially since Mr. Tire scratched my rims when putting new tires on. They did it to my 17" rims on my 3 as well, through the pain and close to the metal. Those BASTARDS! At least I got a settlement out of them for the 3, it took 9 months to get and not for the amount I wanted (only half of what the rims are worth new, around $900). These scratches aren't as bad, but they still shouldn't be there(noticiable when wheels are dirty. Hardly noticiable when wheels are clean). Debating if I want to go through the trouble again for a settlement.

Paul

·
Registered
802 Posts
Take no offense, 6GT: you might have the extra traction for straight line performance(and that's fine), but I sure as hell would be afraid of wanting to toss your car hard in the corners with those tires on stock rims. I wouldn't be surprised if you would actually get better corning performance on a thinner tire (as well as a little better MPG). And you've probably read Tire Guy's post as well as the others, wider tires doesn't necessarily mean better performance if they are not on the right rim widths.

I, myself, just recently had to replace my tires. I wanted to put 225s on, but was concerned about a loss in cornering performance since the stock rim width is only 7" (not ideal for 225s but good for 215s). Since there are very few stock size options available (215/45/18), I went ahead and stuck with the Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S 93W. I was hoping to get more mileage out of the stockers (gone at 24,000 due to my fault of infrequent rotation and balancing +hard driving) so as to replace my rims and tires at the same time. But alas, that did not happen.

Maybe next year I'll get new rims (I want the Mazdaspeed 17lb 18"x7.5" forged wheels), especially since Mr. Tire scratched my rims when putting new tires on. They did it to my 17" rims on my 3 as well, through the pain and close to the metal. Those BASTARDS! At least I got a settlement out of them for the 3, it took 9 months to get and not for the amount I wanted (only half of what the rims are worth new, around $900). These scratches aren't as bad, but they still shouldn't be there(noticiable when wheels are dirty. Hardly noticiable when wheels are clean). Debating if I want to go through the trouble again for a settlement.

Paul[/b]
No offense taken. But I'm sure the rim can handle it. Also I compared this set of tires to my old set of Nitto and this set seem to be smaller. Both set were 235 & 245. Some tires are design different. My cousin have a set of BFG Drag in 295 and they look like 305 compared to a real 305.

·
Registered
898 Posts
No offense taken. But I'm sure the rim can handle it. Also I compared this set of tires to my old set of Nitto and this set seem to be smaller. Both set were 235 & 245. Some tires are design different. My cousin have a set of BFG Drag in 295 and they look like 305 compared to a real 305.[/b]
How can you be so sure? The rim can handle it alright, but can the tire's sidewalls handle being so "pinched"?
Be careful man!

·
Registered
764 Posts
My new tires are the Bridgestone Potenza RE960as Pole Postion in 235/35-19, don't know how good they are yet, they are still new with the sticker residue on the tread, probably won't drive it until Friday night or so and I had them installed last wednesday (i drive my truck to work to keep the miles off my car) but I do need to get some centering rings installed as a "just in case", as they are smooth right now but rings are always a good idea.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just threw on a set of Gooodyear Eagle F1 All Seasons (about 200 miles ago)... All I can say is I can't make 'em squeal. Also, they make the stock springs/dampers obviously inadequate.

Not as good in the snow as the stock Michelin Pilots, but a whole lot better in all other conditions. Plus, I don't have to keep them at 35 psi to prevent squealing like the OEM tires.

Just make sure you go to a major tire store to install them. The thick sidewalls make it tought for the little guys to get the beads to seat. (The place I bought mine from had to take them to Belle Tire to get them to hold air.)

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
My Pirelli P-Zero Nero M&S squeals easily, but even when they squeal they keep hanging on. Even after they start to squeal I can still push them a lot further and they'll still grip. I haven't yet been able to exceed the grip limit of the Pirellis in the dry on the street, and I do some crazy cornering sometimes, but I keep underestimating these tires.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
just got some Nitto NeoGen ZR 225/40/18 92W. these are the top rated ConsumerReports all-seasons. they are M&S rated as well. love them so far. quiet, smooth, and they handle better than the stock 215/45 RE050A on the ms6 probably because of the width. i'll let you guys know how they handle in the snow after this weekend.

edit:

omfg. these tires rock and so does awd. 2 feet of snow during a blizzard last night. didnt slip once and got through everything with no problems. i love this car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just ordered a set of Yokohama Avid W4S all season tires 225/45/18. The reviews were all good and I was looking for something with some light snow traction. Anyone have a any experience with these tires?

·
Registered
690 Posts
Kumho Ecsta SPT 225/40/18

·
Registered
1 Posts
i currently have access to some 215/45x18 pirelli pzero nero tyres all brand new £80 each im based in aldridge, (walsall) postage, pick up or fitting would need be arranged there are about 60 available picture available

·
Registered
898 Posts
my hankook ventus k104 sports are wayyy wayyyyyy stickier than these.

but these are much quiter though.[/b]
I don't know about the SPTs, but I agree that the K104s on my ATX are mighty sticky - at least as sticky as the Supra 712s on my MTX, which are all but worn out now. The ride is much more refined with the K104 too, but the 712s are nearly silent compared to the K104s. In either case, however, I find it hard to complain for the price!

321 - 340 of 564 Posts
About this Discussion
563 Replies
369 Participants
b1lk1
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing