Mazda 6 Forums banner

281 - 300 of 564 Posts

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
The American car-buying public likes cushier rides -hence the greater sidewall.

I believe the two available optional wheel/tire sizes in Europe (in 15 and 16) match the 215/45-17 ratio better. And that the car's gearing is designed to use those.

I don't doubt they've recalibrated the speedos installed on North American 6's for 215/50-17 and 205/60-16, though![/b]
Here and in Europe the 6 come from stock in R16x7 with 205/55 (not 60) and R17x7 with 215/45 (not 50)

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
There was no "feel" about it, I was ambushed.

My experience so far is that they stick one hell of alot better than the OEM tires. There's alot to take into concideration with tire response and it's not just only the tires. The entire suspension and drivers abilities come into play as well. I've tested these tires out in extreme cornering on mountain roads and so forth, and for my needs they're a great improvement over the OEM tires. What was interesting is I did a search on the forum and couldn't find anything by any members about these tires, but that's not the boards fault. For all I know, Dunlop may have made some changes since you guys last had yours installed. Anyway, I'm not lying to anyone and really am impressed with the ride, handling, and quietness of the tires. With that said, I'm movin' on to another thread. Have a good one.[/b]

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Didn't mean to get to ya... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Before I got these, my OEMs were hurtin' and they were still better. My TCS goes off like crazy. I doubt Dunlop would have made changes to make the tire worse so we got same ones.

Just a few weeks ago, I ask Justins6s in person, how he liked his. He agreed that they were crap. Whether I'm neighborhood driving or taking corners like crazy, these tires are sad.

I hope you didn't take offense to my earlier posts, bro and hey... Maybe your tires are better. Who knows???

BTW, your last sentence was priceless... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Here and in Europe the 6 come from stock in R16x7 with 205/55 (not 60) and R17x7 with 215/45 (not 50)[/b]
Thanks for confirming that, Scorp! 16x7 is a good thing - you can go as wide as 225 on those, although 215 is optimal, while keeping the rotational diameter constant per the Miata.Net Tire Calculator!
Heck, instead of overpriced 225/45-17 on my summer 5Zigens, I may go with a wimpy, thin-as-can-be 225/50-17 instead!

·
Registered
985 Posts
I run the dizzera on my car. And thats with track days and auto-x. Couldnt be more pleased. I havent ran any faster times except when I ran R-comps. Those tires are really sticky. LOVE'EM

·
Registered
271 Posts
I run the dizzera on my car. And thats with track days and auto-x. Couldnt be more pleased. I havent ran any faster times except when I ran R-comps. Those tires are really sticky. LOVE'EM[/b]

Right back at ya and with ya. It really gets down to the driver and what you like. I just talked to a guy that has them on his new RX8 and he's completely stoked. So we're in good company. Keep on slammin' :yesnod:

·
Banned
331 Posts
Im runnin Stock 17'' rims with Michelin's or howeva ya spell it. I plan on upgrading to 18'' :)Why is it always saying "Warn 0" when i post...im on topic..lol Michelins on stock 17in rims..lol

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Update - went from Toyo T1-S (died after 20-25K fun miles) to Toyo T1-R (again in 225/45-17 on my aftermarket 17x7 - but a better fit this time because the T1-R have a slightly smaller sectionw idth when installed :)

Should be a fun next 3-ish months!

And more pictures on Flickr.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R's. 225-45x17[/b]
update on the life on the tires?

I just bought them, but it 235/45/17, so it should last a little longer...since threadware is 180. haha

So far, comparing them to what i had before (Advan Neovas), these tires seem to have better turn in and better steering response

·
Registered
706 Posts
General Exclaim UHP"s, 21k miles. Pretty much shot. Rotated every 5000-6000 miles depending on tread depth difference. They started making a rubbery squeaking noise that is quite annoying in neighborhoods etc. I have 5/32'nds or less left. Looking at Nitto Neogens, Kumho ASX's, after reading these, possibly Nexens. I did inadvertently run 32-33 psi instead of 36 for most of the tires' life, I could be to blame for the wear.

·
Registered
39 Posts
when i got my 6, it came with stock Michelin's those lasted 2 years and 3 months. It may have had other months to go, but I didn't want to take a chance. Recently I purchased these tires Nexen3000 215/50R17. Truth is I would have liked to purchased some real tires like pirellis or other top brand but I had to go a bit less expensive route for now.

Does anyone know if the Nexen brand is any good. Do i have any chances of not dying out there... is a silly question but i like to see what you all got to say about that? hopefully u guys have some good thoughts.

:drive:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just took delivery of my 2007 6i yesterday; had the dealer trade me 225/45-17 Kumho SPTs for the 215/50-17 OE Michelins--even up including labor. I have Winterforces set aside for the snowy season.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I run Yokohama Avid T4's 215/50 R17's on the stock rims for daily driving, and Bridgestone Potenza RE01-R's 225/45 R17's on 17x7.5" Enkei RPF-1's for auto-x. God I love the Potenza's, such a wonderfully sticky tire XD

-Cameron Keffer

·
0 Posts
I had Yokohama AVID V4S (215-50-17) installed today and, wow, what a difference they make. The OE Michelin tires were nothing like this when I purchased the car new in 2004. I'm not sure what tire pressure to use. The Mazda dealer has 32 PSI all-round and I changed it to 38 front and 35 rear, which feels better to me and should improve fuel economy.

My M6 has 78,600km on the odometer over the past 3 years and I used the OE tires for 9 months each year and used winter tires for 3 months each year. I guess the treadwear was not excessive to say the least, but the tires were pretty poor, especially in wet weather.

BTW, the service personnel were quite amazed that I'm still on my original brakes. Considering that at least 60% of my driving is city mileage, the brakes seem to be very durable. I have a MTX and tend to downshift early to reduce braking.

281 - 300 of 564 Posts