Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mazda WTF :irate:

Here I am it's 9pm, and my sister is Stuck at the gas station. Me trying to be the hero Step into my nice titanium gray Mazdaspeed6 to rescue her and Lo and Behold my car Slides across the icey snowy street like a Figure ice Skater in the 94 olympics. I do a series of a 180, and a shakey turn into a Parking lot Scared Shitless.....

I then park my car and head inside becoming a Zero from a hero.....I have people clowning me , because they say I can't drive when It's not my inability to drive , It's these Fucking bridgestones.....WHO IN THE HELL is the genius that said Let's put Summer tires on a car when every other car company puts Winter adequate tires on their cars.

hell the Tires that come stock on a Kia Rio handle better in snow than these potenshits....We have to fork out loot to replace something mazda should have replaced.....Man...I'M HATIN!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Now go and put on some tires that everyone else puts on their midsize sedan and take a turn when the roads are NOT icy, then you will see the reason for the potenzas. Besides, if there is that much ice on the roads you should be rollin with a set of winters anyway.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts

Here I am it's 9pm, and my sister is Stuck at the gas station. Me trying to be the hero Step into my nice titanium gray Mazdaspeed6 to rescue her and Lo and Behold my car Slides across the icey snowy street like a Figure ice Skater in the 94 olympics. I do a series of a 180, and a shakey turn into a Parking lot Scared Shitless.....

I then park my car and head inside becoming a Zero from a hero.....I have people clowning me , because they say I can't drive when It's not my inability to drive , It's these Fucking bridgestones.....WHO IN THE HELL is the genius that said Let's put Summer tires on a car when every other car company puts Winter adequate tires on their cars.

hell the Tires that come stock on a Kia Rio handle better in snow than these potenshits....We have to fork out loot to replace something mazda should have replaced.....Man...I'M HATIN![/b]
perhaps because the Speed6 is considered a performance car is why Mazda chose a more agressive dry traction tire for it. I'm sure if they put Blizzaks on it for people in snowy climates someone would bitch about their poor dry traction too. :irate:

the part I don't get is you KNEW before you ever set foot in the car that you had "summer" tires on it, yet you seem astounded that they didn't perform like winter or all-season tires.

you'd also be amazed at how a bit of finesse with the gas pedal makes even "summer" tires work better in snowy weather. :yesnod:

should Mazda put tons of those idiot-warning type stickers all over their cars too reminding people that summer performance tires might not have as much traction as an all-season or winter tire because nobody has the common sense to figure that simple fact out? :sarc:

sorry if this sounds harsh but come on, this isn't rocket science.

·
Registered
209 Posts

hell the Tires that come stock on a Kia Rio handle better in snow than these potenshits....We have to fork out loot to replace something mazda should have replaced.....Man...I'M HATIN![/b]
Just drove with the summer tires today with no major difficulties the DCS and traction control worked like a champ i was trying to break it lose and could only do it with the silliest maneuvers for a couple sec. before the DCS pulled it back in line. i live in a rural area with spotty snowplow service until you hit a major road, and it did so well on my road i got the idea to take all my normal backroads all the way to work and passed all sorts of cars and trucks in ditches all the way to work, with only the most minimal trouble. This car is outstanding!!! :drive: :love: :love: :love:

·
Registered
20 Posts
In winter weather...(Cold & Snow, ice) you need Winter Tires on this car...no exceptions. You can not get through a Canadian winter with the stock tires.

Personally the reason I purchased this car was to slap on Snows and have a great all year round car. And it is just amazing with the snows.

Not to mention that my Summers will last soooo much longer now..

Carlo

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dennis I understand that.....and i know it's not rocket science. I can't be the only one who is upset, because I had to dump $1000+ of my HARD earned money to buy a set of winter tires and rims when I never had to do that for the last 6 I had.

The Point here is.....Most cars come stock with tires that are adequately decent in the snow, and okay in the summer as well...They should have done this for the mazdaspeed6.

it is a scary thing to turn a full rotation with no control........My traction light went crazy, I wish I would have taped it
it was Fun, but Frieghtening!!!

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
You should have done what ninecoronas did if you only wanted 1 set of tires. He convinced the dealership to put Pirelli PZero Nero tires on his car and take the Potenzas off.

Personally, I don't like when this car just sits in my driveway. I think I'm buying a set of Michelin Alpins this week.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I understand where the poster is coming from, but there are way more cars out there besides ours that come with Summer only tires. Infact, probably every performance oriented car has summer only tires. Without them, they would not get the numbers they need or want for selling the car. Most people know not to drive summer only tires in snow or ice, and if they do, they understand and know they will suck. You want to be able to drive in snow with the car, go get a set or either winter or all season tires. Or, when you have to replace them, just buy some nice all season tires and be done with it.

Luckily, I drive my talon if it snows (which, yesterday was the first time finally) and I have a set of all seasons for it. AS soon as it gets warm out I'm getting the wheels and summer only tires I want for it. Better performance etc. When it gets cold again, I'll throw the all seasons back on.

LOTS of people have two sets of tires for their cars or they just don't drive their performance car when its snows.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
This is the reason that the term "winter beater" has been coined.

·
Registered
488 Posts
First thing I did when I got my car is reasearched the options. I really don't want/need two sets of tires and rims. My MX5 is the extreme traction machine, I have two sets of summer tires/wheels for it. I got the 225/45/18 Toyo Proxes 4's, for about $600, they seem to be a reasonable compromise. I will sell the OEM's this spring, but I am still considering some RX8 rims, if I can find a decent set cheap enough.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I know this is beating a dead horse, but you absolutely have to figure in the cost of a set of winters (or at least try for all-seasons depending on location) when you calculate the cost of ownership for a performance car. Only way around it is either have a winter beater or just stay home until the roads are cleared. There are countless horror story threads on here about any summer tires in snow and the vast majority of cars that put up the MS6's numbers come with summers.

·
Registered
684 Posts
i live in Toronto, Canada..
i know winter is gonna be an issue drivin' the MS6 w/ stocks...
that is y i request to down grade my potenza to pirelli....
the sales manager laughted at me too...that i will not have
as good traction in the summer and that the pirelli will be as
hard as a puck in the winter like potenza...

however, i've done research ahead, pirelli has much better treadware,
and handles decent in winter climates.....in conclusion, i've
got pirelli..... no way i'm spendin' +$1200 cad on winter tires/rims
on a 48month lease car...

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
The summer tires allow magazine testers to get better skidpad and braking numbers. Pretty much all semi performance kinda cars come with them. Just drive with caution and don't go crazy with the throttle. I didn't have any problems driving in the snow. Besides the roads are cleaned up pretty quick around the dc area other then minor small roads.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
i had a huge problem with the 1" of ice/snow/whatever in the DC area. i attributed it due to the fact that I don't know how to drive a awd car that seemed to not vary the amt of powre to the rear wheels. i did 2 180s because i thought i could just let off the gas and the car will correct its slide like a FWD car.

J dragon.... push the clutch in when its in a slide, it'll fix itself like letting go of the gas in a regular 6. for everyone saying a very black and whit eanswer "just get some winters".

not many ppl are made of money to buy a $600 set of winter tires with no place to store them without dry rotting. and. we got 1" of snow this winter. can you justify $600 for 1 day a year use? they will dry rot before the nipples even fall off

·
Registered
219 Posts
I can't really believe this thread, to me, it's obvious to use both summer tires and winter tires when you live in a climate where summer tires is not enough. There are no really good reason to use all season tires, since they performe worse then summer tires in the summer, and worse than winter tires in the winter. Better then to have good tires all year. There is no difference in wear either, since the tires will last approx double time when using both winter and summer tires.

In sweden there is illegal to use summer tires "when there is winter driving conditions". This is because summer tires in winter are dangerous, both for yourself and other road users.

I realize that this is my opinion since there is something I have been told from birth, and that it is something that everybody in Sweden has to do. I understand that things are different in the states, but I still think the only right thing to do is to have two different sets of tires.

Regards

·
Registered
366 Posts
Went through some ice and snow over the past week.. Summers survived with only 2/32 left on the tread. P-Zero nero M+S all seasons went on today. Nice ride, have not noticed a lot of difference.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
well thats sweden for you then. not the US. the only feasible option is all season tires here. i can't justify buying $600 tires to use 1 day. and then sell them 2 weeks later... for half the price. then do that every year.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts

sounds to me like you cant drive j dragon, because if you could then you would have known not to turn in as hard in the snow :nana:

·
Registered
219 Posts
well thats sweden for you then. not the US. the only feasible option is all season tires here. i can't justify buying $600 tires to use 1 day. and then sell them 2 weeks later... for half the price. then do that every year.[/b]
If there is only use for winter tires one day every year, then I cannot see any problems at all. Then should summer tires, and not all season tires be used the whole year. Especially on performance oriented vehicles, bad tires could ruin the experience.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
well thats sweden for you then. not the US. the only feasible option is all season tires here. i can't justify buying $600 tires to use 1 day. and then sell them 2 weeks later... for half the price. then do that every year.[/b]
I'm in DC as well, and with my snow tires the car was literally unstoppable last night. As for wasting money on snow tires, I think there's more to it than just counting up the snow days. The stockers harden up significantly below 45 degrees and by freezing temperatures, they can become unsafe, even on dry roads.

I figure I would rather wear out the $132 Nitto Snow Tires than have to replace the Potenzas after 1 year of all season driving. I guess it's different since I have a place to store my other set during the winter, but after just 1 hour in the snow, I realized it was totally worth it.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.