Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
I don't know. I gave up speed/power shifting in this car because of the aweful sounds it makes (not from the tranny, from the drivetrain). I did a little experiment tonight and let the clutch engage rather quickly from about 3500. Aside from bogging, which i completely expect at that rpm while letting the clutch out that fast, there was an aweful quick thud sound from what sounded like the driver side back of the vehicle (might have just sounded like driver side since I usually try to drive from there). It was pretty loud. Sounded like someone taking a bat to the front door of my house one time. Real quick and then gone. I'd be shocked if this was not terrible for the drivetrain. I'd rather let the clutch slip and release it slower on a hard launch. I'd bet replacing the clutch prematurely is cheaper than replacing critical parts of the AWD system every 20 (totally pulling that number out of my arse) launches.
[/b]
I'm glad its not just my car...... Can you imagine this thing with slicks?
NOWAY JOSE!!!!!!

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
NONE of them (Speed6's) broke and I am sure these Sales guy's were harder on these car's[/b]
That's incorrect. A few of them did end up damaged at the Mazda Track Events. I know, one of the service managers wrote down all the vin's of the damaged speed6's so they wouldn't end up accidently buying one in case mazda "refreshed" them for sale.

Alot of funny stories at those events...like one tech driving out of the pit, turning to wave at some chica's, and smashing right into the divider. Or one of the female drivers sliding right into the wall after a turn, which no one could figure out how she possibly did that...cell phone maybe?

Saying no speed6's were damaged, or that none had to be towed out of the events, is like calling the earth flat. I'm sure with enough exclamation marks and bold type it'll work out.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Yes but your talking about hitting stuff not drivetrain breakage. I am sure there were a ton of fender benders. Your right about the funny stories though, the Sales guy I have talked to have plenty.

·
Registered
403 Posts
. . . . I'm sure the mazdaspeed6 has one of the blackboxes that datalogs and can void your warrenty if the ecu shows mazda that you droppped the clutch.
[/b]
Then they shouldn't have company engineers bragging about how the clutch is tough enough to take at least 500 launches. Okay, that's hearsay, but I can find the post if need be.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Then they shouldn't have company engineers bragging about how the clutch is tough enough to take at least 500 launches. Okay, that's hearsay, but I can find the post if need be.
[/b]
I can also bang buncha whores with out a condom and maybe not get a STD but noway I'm gonna take that chance.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
turbomatt,

No there were definitely some axle, and rear differential damage which occured...they were really abusing the living crap outta those things though. I don't have pictures of the event, only first hand accounts from extremely reputable mazda rep's. If you got every single member on this forum to agree on a single concept, and the mazda rep's I'm talking about took the opposing side, I'd call BS on all the members and side with the rep's. That's how much faith I put into what they say.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
speaking of which, anyone taken the car to a road course?? I know that the Volvo with the similer awd system, tends to overheat the center diff and goes in to fwd mode. The volvo doesn't have a water cooled clutch, wondernig if the MS6 fares better. Would suck major ass if the diff warning light starts blinking in middle of a session.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Good information guys- Im too afraid of recreating the noise so for now i have no updates/recurrances (sp)- in anycase, it sounds like the noises that other people hear are what i heard so im a little more relaxed now than i was when it happened. Not to mention, i've driven the car quite a bit since then and not one peep under normal driving conditions.

I love Power- my 5.0 had TONS and whenever i "abused" that car it took it and practically begged for more never did i hear Thuds/Thumps/Clunks/Clanks/Bams etc etc...so when i hear them now i, understandably get nervous.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Good information guys- Im too afraid of recreating the noise so for now i have no updates/recurrances (sp)- in anycase, it sounds like the noises that other people hear are what i heard so im a little more relaxed now than i was when it happened. Not to mention, i've driven the car quite a bit since then and not one peep under normal driving conditions.

I love Power- my 5.0 had TONS and whenever i "abused" that car it took it and practically begged for more never did i hear Thuds/Thumps/Clunks/Clanks/Bams etc etc...so when i hear them now i, understandably get nervous.
[/b]

there is nothing to thump on a solid axel, kinda why mustang guys like to revert their IRS rear end to soild axel. IRS and extra wheelhop and suspension play with launching makes the diff not happy.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I can also confirm (through hearsay) that there was damage done to at least one rear differential on a Speed6 at the Atlanta event. From what I understood the drivers were "encouraged" to drop the clutch from < 3000 rpm and someone tried it at about 4500 rpm. Needless to say the car didn't like it but since it was the rear differential the guy was able to drive it to the pit even though he completely demolished the car.

That's what I remember hearing from a guy at the dealership I go to that was at the event. No lawsuits against me if this is inaccurate information!

·
Registered
493 Posts
I've heard the "clunk" 3 times now. Each time it's just one thump that seems to come from the rear of the car directly behind me.

I've done a few hard launches on dry and wet pavement and never heard it. However, each time it's happened I was in first gear and launched regularly, then floored it quickly. DSC was on each time.

Happened when pulling out of a parking lot and seeing a car approacing fast and hitting the gas once my foot was off the clutch.

·
Registered
795 Posts
i just got my first thump last night. i launched it at 4500 and heard the thump coming from the rear end of the car. kinda sounded like someone said earlier about the bat hitting something. the thing is i really didnt feather the clutch and i usually do and no thump. i thought i had broke something. needless to say i apologized to my car and granny shifted it all the way home, lol...

·
Registered
661 Posts
It's the center diff locking when you dump the clutch.

To avoid this I powershift; keep the throttle floored while shifting around 5500-5700 - by the time the engine hits the rev limiter you have already shifted. You would think that the engine would rev extremely fast to it's redline but it doesn't rev as fast as you would think - of course, you have to shift as fast as you can.

Also, this keeps the engine on boost so you'll have a continuous pull feeling rather than the pull - no pull/shift - pull - no pull/shift

Hope this makes sense - this technique works for me anyways. Probably not the best thing for the clutch but it's certainly a lot easier on the drivetrain. Loud clunking noises just don't sound good.

·
Registered
90 Posts
turbomatt,

No there were definitely some axle, and rear differential damage which occured...they were really abusing the living crap outta those things though. I don't have pictures of the event, only first hand accounts from extremely reputable mazda rep's. If you got every single member on this forum to agree on a single concept, and the mazda rep's I'm talking about took the opposing side, I'd call BS on all the members and side with the rep's. That's how much faith I put into what they say.
[/b]

Yeah a couple broke. Most of us were launching them off of redline or damn close too it. Of the two that I know of that broke, both of them had over 800 launches of that effect. It wasn't the axles or the differentials though, just the mount.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
That is what my local stealership manager told me.... when he attended the event they launched the car from redline for 20 minutes straight and it kept taking it... and after the end of the beating only 2 cars broke in a whole weekend, and they were $15 mounts...

·
Registered
90 Posts
It wasn't just the mounts...sigh. See the other thread where someone else collaborated my statements about broken differentials.

No AWD drivetrain is bulletproof, if you launch the car hard, prepare to pay the price.
[/b]

Damn... and I thought I was the one under the car installing the diff. mounts. Man I better get back to those cars and put some axles and differentials in. Thanks man.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
There was more then one event :sarc: .

It's like I have to freaking pull Vin's out, post photos, get sued, thrown in jail, just to get a point across. Well I'm not going to do that, so believe whoever you want, or just wait for more "Why is my transmission getting replaced?" or "Why did my clutch disc shatter into a billion pieces?" threads.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts