Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh Boy-- This morning, it was raining like cats and dogs on my way to work. This was the first time that i had the car out in the rain ( beleive it or not )- anyway, since the car IS AWD and without some serious abuse Spinning tires is almost impossible, i figured hey- what the heck- its completely pooring, traction can be THAT great lets see if i can break them loose..

I pull into my work's parking lot- rev up to about 4000-4500 and let the clutch out. The car launches like a "bat out-of hell" but not without some LOUD and i mean loud and serious sounding thuds. Kind of reminds me of a broken tranny mount that i had in an Auto Trans-Am back about 10 years ago.

My question to the community- For those of you who've launched your cars "Hard" whats the noises you hear...If any? I've got 1600 miles on it and that was the FIRST TIME that i truly launched the car and since it was wet i figured it would be better than doing it on hot/sticky pavement...

Also, the SMELL...UGH??...I can drive stick pretty well and i didnt really "feather" the clutch so the spinning/buring should have been minimal and the smell i smelled was more rotten egg then burning clutch disc... Anyone got anything for me on that?

I apologize in advance if i missed this but i didnt see anything doing a quick search.

·
Registered
364 Posts
any *thunking* kind of sounds was probably the drivetrain...very mechanical sounding when it kicks in....no idea about the stink though.

·
Registered
776 Posts
did you turn the tractin control off? If you didn't then it was the traction control kicking in. If you did then it was the AWD tranferring to the rear's. No big deal. The smell is you clutch. If you have never done a launch like that before then that is what you smelling. It will be fine don't worry about it.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
"BAM BAM BAM" type noise when launching is wheel hop. Incredibly bad for the entire drivetrain. It's usually very loud, and the car tends to shudder when it occurs. Its roughly equivilant to slamming the drivetrain into a wall.

Wheel Hop:
An undesirable suspension characteristic in which a wheel (or several) moves up and down so violently that it actually leaves the ground. Wheel hop can be caused by many problems, including excessive unsprung weight, insufficient shock damping, or poor torsional axel control.[/b]
Wheel hop is much more common in wet conditions then dry ones. I'd avoid it at all costs...you can really screw some shit up horribly bad if you don't let off the gas when it starts happening. Wheel hop is generally cured by stiffening up mounts along the drivetrain. (Engine, transmission, rear differential). Wheel hop is a common occurance in all drivetrains, from FWD, RWD, and AWD.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
did you turn the tractin control off? If you didn't then it was the traction control kicking in. If you did then it was the AWD tranferring to the rear's. No big deal. The smell is you clutch. If you have never done a launch like that before then that is what you smelling. It will be fine don't worry about it.
[/b]

Yeah it was off...So your saying that the Clunks are normal?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"BAM BAM BAM" type noise when launching is wheel hop. Incredibly bad for the entire drivetrain. It's usually very loud, and the car tends to shudder when it occurs. Its roughly equivilant to slamming the drivetrain into a wall.
Wheel hop is much more common in wet conditions then dry ones. I'd avoid it at all costs...you can really screw some shit up horribly bad if you don't let off the gas when it starts happening. Wheel hop is generally cured by stiffening up mounts along the drivetrain. (Engine, transmission, rear differential). Wheel hop is a common occurance in all drivetrains, from FWD, RWD, and AWD.
[/b]

Really.....Wheel hop? It felt like it was more under the tranny but hey, im no expert.. My past experiences with wheel hop were in cars like late 80's grand-prix's. And whenever it was wet, the car just spun the tires but in dry weather id see and feel the wheel hop.

Again- im no expert and never claimed to be....But in my opinion, wheel hop should be less likely in environments with less traction..Im here to learn so please- School me!

Thanks

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
but not without some LOUD and i mean loud and serious sounding thuds. Kind of reminds me of a broken tranny mount[/b]
Loud, repetitive bangs, while your flooring it, in extremely wet conditions, that sounds like a broken tranny mount.

Sounds exactly like wheel hop to me. Next time, let off the pedal when you start hearing loud banging noises, unless you want to join the lineup of replaced MS6 transmissions.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If by normal, you mean future transmission replacement, then sure.
[/b]

Obviously, this is why im posting- i would like to aviod that. I dont feel like i did anything wrong to the car and the bottom line is it made some really strange noises during that launch. More of the THUMP type and not so muc of the BAM BAM BAM type...

So Crossbow- you think that i have a
1) broken tranny mount and
2) During that launch experienced Wheel Hop...

Im guessing that a tranny mount would be covered...but i dont know..I guess i should call Mazda...but how do i explain it to them without them thinking i was "racing" the car..?

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
I'm saying that the mounts (They are rubber after all) on the MPS 6 had some trouble compensating for the conditions of your launch, and part of the drivetrain slipped, and you got momentary wheel hop as the car tried to figure out what the heck was going on.

I'm going by the loudness of your claim. Some soft clunking sounds could probably just be the suspension straining or settling from sitting overnight...LOUD NOISES ARE BAD (unless they are coming from the exhaust).

If its not as loud as you said it was, its probably something else. But you sure pointed out that it was pretty damn loud, which leads me to believe it was wheel hop...which is crazy loud when it happens.

I don't think its a broken transmission mount, I'm just using your own example of how bad it was. And a broken transmission mount would encourage wheel hop to occur...which reinforces that this could have been wheel hop occuring.

·
Registered
157 Posts
When I floor it in poor conditions sometimes I get a single THUD, I figured it was the Haldex unit locking the clutch completely and going 50-50.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
oh yeh if the mazdaspeed 6 is using the same Tochigi Fuji Sangyo KK Super Limited-Slip Differential that the RX8 and the Protege uses, wheel hop can split the welds. The protege forum is full of those since they drag race so much.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok- cool....It definitely makes sense. The Thud(s) were loud- no doubt about that at all. Im a bit afraid to "re-try" the event for the fear of breaking something but on the same token, id like to know what it was for sure and get it fixed- if it is a broken part.

Cowbell-- What are you talking about "split the welds"...welds on what? the tranny??

Thanks for your help guys

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
you'll know when you split it, makes a horrible griding noise. What you probably heard was the drivetrain noise that alll awd cars make. I just wouldn't launch it all that much if you like your drivetrain. I'm sure the mazdaspeed6 has one of the blackboxes that datalogs and can void your warrenty if the ecu shows mazda that you droppped the clutch.

·
Registered
335 Posts
If I launch hard, I get a VERY loud bang from my left front wheel....... :nono:
I'm amazed you guys drag raced your MS6's without ripping the wheel off it!!. :bowdown:

·
Registered
776 Posts
Relax Stussy it was just the AWD transferring the load to the rear tires. You guy's are going to give this guy a heart attack :drive: ?

Your car will be fine. They (mazda Sales guys) launched these things like crazy on wet conditions and dry when they were 1st be introduced. NONE of them (Speed6's) broke and I am sure these Sales guy's were harder on these car's (and with repeated abuse) than you were on your little experiment. Just drive it and have fun :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
I don't know. I gave up speed/power shifting in this car because of the aweful sounds it makes (not from the tranny, from the drivetrain). I did a little experiment tonight and let the clutch engage rather quickly from about 3500. Aside from bogging, which i completely expect at that rpm while letting the clutch out that fast, there was an aweful quick thud sound from what sounded like the driver side back of the vehicle (might have just sounded like driver side since I usually try to drive from there). It was pretty loud. Sounded like someone taking a bat to the front door of my house one time. Real quick and then gone. I'd be shocked if this was not terrible for the drivetrain. I'd rather let the clutch slip and release it slower on a hard launch. I'd bet replacing the clutch prematurely is cheaper than replacing critical parts of the AWD system every 20 (totally pulling that number out of my arse) launches.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
About this Discussion
38 Replies
16 Participants
crossbow
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing