Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive searched the forum and I couldnt find.....
I know a lot of people have clutch issues. shudder and all that... I have that problem too, but also....
When Im going in any gear that is not 1st, and i step on the gas, the car revs up and it seams that the clutch doesnt grab. then it kinda catches and the RPM's go down.. and then u feel the car accelerate. It does it in 2nd, 3rd, 4th even in 5th. So what the F is going on. It all happened after installing the CPE intake, Headers. My clutch was already kinda weak. So Im guessing the clutch or flywheel are too old and cant handle the extra hp from the intake and headers. I called the mazda dealer and they said that if my clutch was messed up they couldnt pay 4 it because its a wearable item so Id have to pay like 800 dollars to replace it. WTF.
Can I turn the flywheel?
I dont know. Can someone please tell me what might be.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sounds like its tiem for a new clutch.[/b]
[email protected]#$%^K
So, I called Mazda delaer and they said that to put the new clutch in my car is 700 dollars. Plus the 200 dollar clutch.
I know i have warranty on transmission until 50K miles. But I dont think the clutch is covered on that.
So, do i have no choice but to spend the 900$ ?????

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
[email protected]#$%^K
So, I called Mazda delaer and they said that to put the new clutch in my car is 700 dollars. Plus the 200 dollar clutch.
I know i have warranty on transmission until 50K miles. But I dont think the clutch is covered on that.
So, do i have no choice but to spend the 900$ ?????[/b]
nope. you've gotta drop the money. definitely spend the money and buy at least a stage 1 from the rpmstore. the stock mazda clutches are pieces of shit. If you're going for power, get a lightweight flywheel, its one of my all time favorite mods to my 6. It sucks but I had to spend $1500 on my clutch job at only 16000 miles.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nope. you've gotta drop the money. definitely spend the money and buy at least a stage 1 from the rpmstore. the stock mazda clutches are pieces of shit. If you're going for power, get a lightweight flywheel, its one of my all time favorite mods to my 6. It sucks but I had to spend $1500 on my clutch job at only 16000 miles.[/b]
OK so while im down there is it basically that i have to also change the flywheel?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
OK so while im down there is it basically that i have to also change the flywheel?[/b]
that depends on how badly its worn. you may be able to just machine it which is pretty cheap, but I just saw that you had been adding power mods so you might as well get a high performance clutch/flywheel while you already are paying to have the tranny opened.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that depends on how badly its worn. you may be able to just machine it which is pretty cheap, but I just saw that you had been adding power mods so you might as well get a high performance clutch/flywheel while you already are paying to have the tranny opened.[/b]
Yea, so Just to open up the tranny they friking charge 700 Bucks might as well do it all. Well I guess I need some extra money to see if I can do that within the next couple of months, caus this thing is driving me crazy. It is ok for everyday driving but if i step on it i have a bunch of lost power. Is like my car was almost stock.
Do u have an exedy clutch and flywheel? or clutchmasters?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Yea, so Just to open up the tranny they friking charge 700 Bucks might as well do it all. Well I guess I need some extra money to see if I can do that within the next couple of months, caus this thing is driving me crazy. It is ok for everyday driving but if i step on it i have a bunch of lost power. Is like my car was almost stock.
Do u have an exedy clutch and flywheel? or clutchmasters?[/b]
clutchmaster fx300 and fidanza 8lb flywheel. its an awesome combo.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
clutchmaster fx300 and fidanza 8lb flywheel. its an awesome combo.[/b]
Is it true what they say about the 8lb flywheel? that it is too light so, it makes driving in trafic and any type of daily driving too uncomfortable.
What would be the difference between this 8 lb one and the 16 lb one from exedy? Im not a track racer and I am a little bit concerned about daily driving. I do go to the drag strip once in a while just for the excitement..

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had heard the same. But it actually doesn't look to hard to deal with.
See here: http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=88792[/b]
I looked at that thread and they dont even mention the fact the is hard to deal with. they actually said it feels lighter on the pedal than stock.
So, the question is, what is the difference between the 16 lb and the 8lb flywheel?
and why would anyone get the 16lb. flywheel if the 8lb flywheel is obviously lighter and the car responds faster?
They are both almost the same price, so thats not it.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I looked at that thread and they dont even mention the fact the is hard to deal with. they actually said it feels lighter on the pedal than stock.
So, the question is, what is the difference between the 16 lb and the 8lb flywheel?
and why would anyone get the 16lb. flywheel if the 8lb flywheel is obviously lighter and the car responds faster?
They are both almost the same price, so thats not it.[/b]
What I meant was to watch the video and see for yourself. You can clearly see how fast his rpms drop with the 8lb wheel. It doesnt look too bad.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Is it true what they say about the 8lb flywheel? that it is too light so, it makes driving in trafic and any type of daily driving too uncomfortable.
What would be the difference between this 8 lb one and the 16 lb one from exedy? Im not a track racer and I am a little bit concerned about daily driving. I do go to the drag strip once in a while just for the excitement..[/b]
Its not bad at all, you just have to get used to it. Its not a matter of being hard to drive, its just different, but you can get used to it quickly. It definitely helps out the low end of this car, and is easily one of my favorite mods. If you get a stage 1 or 2 clutch, you will have no problem getting used to driving with the 8 lb flywheel. I haven't looked back once since having mine installed.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its not bad at all, you just have to get used to it. Its not a matter of being hard to drive, its just different, but you can get used to it quickly. It definitely helps out the low end of this car, and is easily one of my favorite mods. If you get a stage 1 or 2 clutch, you will have no problem getting used to driving with the 8 lb flywheel. I haven't looked back once since having mine installed.[/b]
Well so right now Im leaning towards the exedy clutch stage 1. they have it on ebay for less than 300. As for the flywheel i dont know yet. I'd just like to know why would someone get the exedy 16lb FW.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Well so right now Im leaning towards the exedy clutch stage 1. they have it on ebay for less than 300. As for the flywheel i dont know yet. I'd just like to know why would someone get the exedy 16lb FW.[/b]
caus ther dumb. thas why. 8ilb or bust.

edit: I was slightly inebriated for this post.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
7 Participants
fullmetal6
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing