Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am new to the MS6 crowd but not new to modifications, previous cars 2002 WRX and 2004 Mazda RX8... now the MS6 is parked in my garage waiting for some AutoX (autocross) suspension setup and maybe some HP increase......
Any suggestions are welcomed!!!
Also any advice on what TO do and what NOT to do on the MS6 is also welcomed!!

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
You are building a full AutoX MS6??? Not for too much street use???

HKS Coilovers
Whiteline Adjustable Rear Sway Bar
Racing Beat Front Sway Bar

If you are getting some street use and want something more comfortable... I would recommend my setup...

AutoEXE Low Down Springs

Too be honest, you are going to be a little dissapointed with this aftermarket coming where you came from....

Also keep in mind the 18x7.5 wheels are very heavy from the factory, I run a relatively lightweight 18x8 (RX8 wheels) and the car feels much better....

Send me a private message if you would like to discuss with me more...

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
You are building a full AutoX MS6??? Not for too much street use???

HKS Coilovers
Racing Beat Front Sway Bar

If you are getting some street use and want something more comfortable... I would recommend my setup...

AutoEXE Low Down Springs
Too be honest, you are going to be a little dissapointed with this aftermarket coming where you came from....

Also keep in mind the 18x7.5 wheels are very heavy from the factory, I run a relatively lightweight 18x8 (RX8 wheels) and the car feels much better....

Send me a private message if you would like to discuss with me more...
[/b]
FYI - Stock wheels are 18x7 not 18x7.5

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Without a huge rear sway available for the Mazdaspeed, you'll need to get some firmer rear springs custom made. You might just consider ordering K-Sport rear springs; they're cheap.

I'd go with:

17x8 or 17x8.5 +48 wheels. Sticky tires according to class rules. Roll your rear fender.

HKS or KW coilvers only. HKS are far easier to adjust in the rear, but KW's spring rates are both firmer and better balanced front-to-rear. K-Sport 9kg/mm rear springs if buying HKS.

Racing Beat front sway.

Whiteline rear sway (minor upgrade, but every bit will help).

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Without a huge rear sway available for the Mazdaspeed, you'll need to get some firmer rear springs custom made. You might just consider ordering K-Sport rear springs; they're cheap.

I'd go with:

17x8 or 17x8.5 +48 wheels. Sticky tires according to class rules. Roll your rear fender.

HKS or KW coilvers only. HKS are far easier to adjust in the rear, but KW's spring rates are both firmer and better balanced front-to-rear. K-Sport 9kg/mm rear springs if buying HKS.

Racing Beat front sway.

[/b]
I know that 17's are better for AutoX....I am considering getting RX8 wheels just for looks, to tell you the truth the stockers are not the best looking wheels to my taste.

Those suspension setups that you mentioned above, are they street resonable? or am I gonna suffer from kidney problems because of stiffness?

Thanx for your input.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts

I'd go with:

Racing Beat front sway.

[/b]
Stretch, I have always wanted to ask you this...

If you don't like the Mazdaspeed's, why do you like the KW's??? KW makes the Mazdaspeeds... from what I have read they are very very similiar....

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
I know that 17's are better for AutoX....I am considering getting RX8 wheels just for looks, to tell you the truth the stockers are not the best looking wheels to my taste.[/b]
17" tires are much better than 18's. The tires are less expensive, higher load ratings, better sizes. The RX-8 wheels aren't bad (at least they're wide and not too heavy), but I had them and a Mazda6 quickly ditched them for 16x8 RX-7 wheels (this was on a normal Mazda6, 16's fit).

Those suspension setups that you mentioned above, are they street resonable? or am I gonna suffer from kidney problems because of stiffness?[/b]
Absolutely. Set to fully soft, they'll probably be a smidge firmer than stock, but no biggie. They were much firmer than stock (yet comfortable) on a standard Mazda6, but on a heavier Mazdaspeed, they may end up feeling quite stock-like.

Stretch, I have always wanted to ask you this...

If you don't like the Mazdaspeed's, why do you like the KW's??? KW makes the Mazdaspeeds... from what I have read they are very very similiar....[/b]
I don't follow... KW makes the Mazdaspeed what? Mazdaspeed coilovers? Sure they're not KYB?

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Click here....
According to Nikolas, the coilovers are KW... and have dampening adjustment...

As always, Mazdaspeed Accessories USA won't confirm this...

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Hmmm, they're probably decent then- the shocks themselves look like KW clones. This is the first I've ever really looked at the Mazdaspeed coilovers- I'm out of the loop! I really like that they come with shortened bump stops for the rear, but I'm not so big on the progressive springs. In fact, the spring rates are listed as 50% over stock (on a standard Mazda6), which is still very, very soft for a coilover. They'd be close to the OE rates on (surprise) the Mazdaspeed6. KW uses closer to 300% firmer than stock, if my information is correct. I also don't recall KW using progressive springs.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
They open in 10 minutes, might as well find out from them what the difference is ;)

EDIT: Called them got some answers...

The KW Coilvers are a progressive spring front and rear.
He said he thought that the Mazdaspeed's are linear, but he wasn't positive.

Some of the internals are different, and the range of ride height can differ, but they use the same shock.

He also said that % of stiffness over stock was a pointless figure and was "meaningless" because its comparing a progressive to linear spring.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Hmmm, they're probably decent then- the shocks themselves look like KW clones. This is the first I've ever really looked at the Mazdaspeed coilovers- I'm out of the loop! I really like that they come with shortened bump stops for the rear, but I'm not so big on the progressive springs. [/b]
Agree the Mazdaspeed coilovers appear too soft for speed6.

But based on pics, look like they could be linear. The fronts have lower tending springs that should stay compressed except if you get some air at all 4's. The rears have some very closely spaced coils .. usually to take up space, and may stay in coil bind during most conditions. If dual rate, the transition would be like instant 3X stiffness.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
All this spring talk! I see a lot of members getting AutoEXE... Including a local speed6 that helped me with DP install (I think he has AutoEXE)... Sounds like the install is easy enough... 400 isn't terrible if I wanted to try it out for a while... and re-sell them later if i'm not happy....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts