Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a better tire for my 2006 mazda 6s so that i can get better traction at the track. THese stock all season tires suck. I know my stock tire size is P215/50R17. Does any one know what the widest tire is that i can fit on my car with stock rims. I just need two for the front, im not worried about the rear. Ill just be throwing these on at the track. Also what is a good tire for track use without buying a slick that would fit on the car!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does anyone know the widest tire i can fit on a stock rim?

B

·
0 Posts
225/45R17
[/b]
Any problems with the wider tire size? Is that what you're using? My dealer advised me not to go wider ony because another customer with a Mazda3 went up from 195 65 R17 to 205 50 R17 and they had tonnes of problems. In the end, they had to go back to stock size. I know it's the Mazda3, but I wanted to know if if any one else has probs with going for a wider tire in the Mazda6.

Still looking for replacment tires for my 2004 Mazda 6. I was looking at the Kumho ECSTA SPT but for some stupid reason they don't carry the stock size (215 50 R17) in Canada. My second option are the General Exclaim UHP but they only come in the wider 225 45 R17. Rated #1 in class on Tirerack.com, I'd love to get these expecially for the price. Either that or the Federal Tire SS-595 in the same wider size.

Any suggestions?!!

Thanks...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Still looking for replacment tires for my 2004 Mazda 6. I was looking at the Kumho ECSTA SPT but for some stupid reason they don't carry the stock size (215 50 R17) in Canada. My second option are the General Exclaim UHP but they only come in the wider 225 45 R17. Rated #1 in class on Tirerack.com, I'd love to get these expecially for the price. Either that or the Federal Tire SS-595 in the same wider size.

Any suggestions?!!

Thanks...
[/b]
Well, I'll let you know about the UHP's towards the end of June. I just placed my tire and wheel order with TireRack today. It's back ordered until June 18th, but I'm getting the following:

Tires: General Exclaim UHP 225/45 ZR17 W91
Wheels: Kazera KZ-T 17 x 7.5 48mm offset.

I wanted Toyos, but TireRack doesn't sell them. I could have gotten the Toyos from another place, but I wanted to order my tires and wheels from the sme place. I picked the UHP over the SPT because when it rains in Texas, it RAINS!!. We also get those 5 ice/snow/slush days a year. The UHP tread looks better for adverse conditions. I'll be honest though, the oddball service ratings for the UHP have me concerned. Also, the tires may be too light. I ended up having to go with the 225 instead of a 215 just to get a service rating of 91. That caused me to have to get the KZ-T's because the 225 requires a 7.5 inch rim.

After ordering them, I read MZbuckeye's cursed post. To make me even more nervous, Tire Rack calls me to tell me that they want me to understand my vehicle may need to be modified to fit the wheels?!? And I thought I was playing it safe by sticking with 17's. Something tells me I should just learn to live with those 16 inch steel wheels.

·
Registered
81 Posts
You can fit 225 on 7" rim. I have this on my car.
[/b]
Yes, you are right. It will fit. The fitment range is 7.0 - 8.5. I'm following ToyoGuy's advice of selecting a rim size closer to the middle of the fitment range. The UHP's are suspiciously light and those service ratings seem low. I don't want to risk sidewall collapse by going with a 7" rim. Even though the range is 7 - 8.5, General's own specs show it installed on 7.5" rims. This will be an interesting experiment.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Any problems with the wider tire size? Is that what you're using? My dealer advised me not to go wider ony because another customer with a Mazda3 went up from 195 65 R17 to 205 50 R17 and they had tonnes of problems. In the end, they had to go back to stock size. I know it's the Mazda3, but I wanted to know if if any one else has probs with going for a wider tire in the Mazda6.
[/b]
That's odd, because the 3 doesn't come with 195/65R17. Perhaps you meant 195/65R15? Either way, the 205/50R17 is the size that came on the 5-door, so there's no reason that size wouldn't work on this other customer's car unless the offset was way wrong for the 3 or the wheel was too narrow.

In any case, I'm using 225/45R17 and have been for quite some time. In addition, there are a lot of members that are using this size on the stock wheel with no problems. This size is approved for a wheel that is 7 inches wide (which the stock wheel is) and is less than 2% smaller in overall diameter than the stock 215/50R17 (which is within approved plus sizing guidelines). Fear not with a 225/45R17 on stock wheel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
Tire Guy
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing