Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to the dealership for an oil change today (received a coupon in the mail for a free one). And they did the full circle inspection on my car today. What came up as recommended...

-Power Steering Flush - $99
-De-carb and Throttle Body Service - $210
-Replace Top Motor Mount - $275
-Reseal Transmission Pan - $180

I'm wondering why they are telling me to get a de-carb and throttle body service when I just seafoamed it a couple days ago... Is it because they scanned the ECU and a code came up? Or is it something else? What exactly do they do on the de-carb and throttle body service?

I have a little experience on working with cars... I've helped some friends with their intake/cleaning their MAF, I've replaced a radiator and brakes that needed to be replaced... but is resealing a transmission pan really difficult?

The guy at my dealership told me that the de-carb, TB service, and resealing my transmission pan should be done ASAP.

What do you guys think?
Thanks.

·
Registered
859 Posts
How many miles have you got? I wouldn't pay to get any of that done until you get some second opinion.

·
Registered
222 Posts
They are trying to rip you off!!!! The only thing I could possibly see having them doing is "resealing" the transmission pan, which I assume means replacing the gasket? I personally wouldn't mess with that just because it's your tranny and you don't want to make a silly mistake and cause something alot more expensive. You could probably do it in about an hour for under $20 yourself, but i understand not doing it if you don't have alot of mechanical experience. Are you leaking tranny fluid? The power steering flush for $100 is a complete waste of money. Check the forums on here how to do it, but you can do it yourself for ~$15, and it requires NO mechanical skill. If you sea foamed your car recently, I would pull your airbox off and just spray carb cleaner inside your throttle body and use a cloth to wipe it clean, total cost ~$4. Are you experiencing alot of vibration in your car? If not, I would ignore the top motor mount and just leave it. Those tend to last along time in our car, the only one that seems to be a real issue is the lower wishbone mount.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
You DO realize why they hand out "free" oil changes, right? It's an excuse to get people into the dealership during a recession. Once you're there...they'll make you think that they are doing you a favour by looking over your car and pointing out a thousand dollars in unnecessary repairs, lol.

Take what they say with a grain of salt...they need to make back the 1/2 hour of labour and 6 quarts of oil that they just spent to get you there.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys,

I did the power steering flush and the power steering fluid was pitch black! Car turns with much less effort now.

So if I already seafoamed my car, I should just clean the TB with TB cleaner? How do you open the butterfly plate?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thanks for the thanks. When I cleaned the throttle body, I just pushed the butterfly plate open manually with my fingers and then sprayed carb cleaner (any $3 can from your local auto store will do) around in the throttle body. I just used a clean rag, and q-tips for around the butterfly plate and small crevices. I was surprised that at 90,000 miles, my throttle body had hardly any build up at all. It would probably be a good idea to buy a $10 bottle of electronic cleaner at radio shack and clean your MAF at the same time, since you will be right there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts